Streaming Devices: Which are good & any BF deals?

gatorburg

The whole problem with Apple products is the constraints and controls that they have over their products, not to mention lack of expandability.

That used to be THE problem, but it was somewhat offset by the reliability of the OS and hardware due to those constraints.

But anymore, they have just as many, if not more bugs in each new release of iOS as any other phone or tablet OS.  (Can't speak to MAC OS.)

So now the problem with Apple products is the constraints and controls AND the shoddy development/QA work done before software releases.

• Like 1

All products have defects, is it worse today with Apple products than they used to be? I would say to a small degree it is. I would also say that MORE people have them now so you hear more about it. I've been in IT for a long time and I have dealt with bugs in most every piece of software and hardware I've dealt with. One of them being to our core switches from Cisco that caused cascading failures across the switches. YA that was fun. Apple is more of a closed system but for the most part the hardware and software is pretty darn solid. The app store was a HUGE miss from Apple in my eyes from the moment the Apple TV came out. I seriously cannot believe it has taken them this long to put it out there. If they had left the price at $99 I would have picked one up to mess with. I have last gens AppleTV and I have a Fire Stick, have had others along the way also. I really wish I could combine my TiVo, AppleTV and Fire Stick all into one super awesome device lol my family hates switching inputs to get to different things.

• Like 2

A seller through Ebay was selling the KODI boxes for $30 shipped. I sent my friend the link and he ordered one before the seller realized that the shipping was free. They normally go for $40. He got a response that if his order was not already paid for, the transaction would be cancelled. I guess they never read the terms of service....either way, he had paid right away and the box is on it's way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just checking out the Fire Stick and I think I am going that way.  As for voice control, from what I read there is an app that you can use voice control through your phone for the Fire Stick.  I like that it is small and can move easily from one TV to the next.

I currently have a Roku but am thinking of getting a Fire Stick for my parents.  Can anyone tell me how easy it is to use compared to Roku?

The Rokus are fine when they are working properly.  You simply arrow through a bunch of tiles and press the OK button when you are on the one you want to run.  Click back or home to get out.  The problem is their developers and support are terrible.  Every f'n update is a game of Russian Roulette with five chambers loaded.  They had to roll their last update back.  Their gen 4 device is loud and hot and has lots of other problems.  

The thing with Amazon is that they will eventually get it right.  For people who do not stream a lot of apps, the FTV devices are nice in that the most used apps appear to the right of the place which has focus when you hit the home button or power up the device.  So, you right click a couple times and click the OK button to run the app.  After a short time, your favorites fill that row.

Finally saw a teardown of the Roku 4...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1027121&d=1446149922

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2159233-roku-4-announced-20.html#post38496425

I recommend against purchasing this device.  Cooling issues with this streamer are more fatal than a lack of thermal paste.  Thermal paste overcomes surface irregularities between a heat sink and processor. Usually, the heat sink is attached to the processor package or at least the same surface as the processor. In the Roku 4, the heat sink is attached to the plastic lid. Plastic is not a particularly stable material and is vulnerable to distortion in the presence of great or sustained heat (it melts), so the distance between the heat sink and processor could change with environment and use. The small fan's small vent is small and near the bottom of the unit. Heat rises, so the fan is working extra to get the air from the top of the case to the vent at the bottom. The size and location of the vent make it particularly vulnerable to obstruction -- insufficient space between the unit and a wall of an entertainment center or accumulated dust.

Compare to the Fire TV which has no fan but runs cool.  In this picture, the FTV is upside down. Note that the board/processor is attached to the heat sink and note the number of places very close to the processor that the sink is secured to the pcb. Note too the heatsink compound.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/f805f8bb1a9f40737c584c26ece4ef2b/200008060/amazon-fire-tv-teardown-ifixit.jpg

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/fire-heatsink-640x480.jpg
In rev 2 of the Roku 4, the heat sink needs to be secured to the processor and the heat is vented through the top of the device.
Edited by len_mullen

• 2 weeks later...

Fire TV Stick: the Little Streamer that Could

I bought two Fire TV Sticks at launch for ~$25.  Hadn't really played with them because I have been busy with a fleet of DVRs and my Plex server.  Last month I read an article on AFTVNews.com about a new release of FireStarter and decided to give Kodi a try.  I'm glad I did.  After a short installation process that did not require me to root or otherwise compromise my FTV Stick, I was enjoying web sourced media on my television.

https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/kodi-for-ftv/

One of the things I like about the FTV Stick is that it can be powered using the USB port on my television.  Since the remote is RF, there is no hint of the device from the front of the television.

The full size Fire TV is faster than the FTV Stick and can support devices on the USB port.  It's a great, inexpensive game console.  Staples has the Fire TV for 25% off on Black Friday.

Happy streaming!

I'm excited to explore beyond Chromecast for streaming.  I don't use it for much, but WatchESPN and sharing the GalaxyTab screen with the TV. I don't really do any gaming (not need for a full console other than wired ethernet), have Amazon Prime, and likely will get a Fire Stick this year and try it out.

OK so I've been trying to follow this thread, emphasis on trying. I'm looking at the Roku and the Firestick.  Can I use them both in conjunction or do I just need one or the other?  A few things that are important to me are NFL games and HBO so I've been looking at Sling TV.  Will Sling TV work with either device?

OK so I've been trying to follow this thread, emphasis on trying. I'm looking at the Roku and the Firestick.  Can I use them both in conjunction or do I just need one or the other?  A few things that are important to me are NFL games and HBO so I've been looking at Sling TV.  Will Sling TV work with either device?

You would just need one or the other.  Sling TV will work on both.

https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

(It doesn't list the Fire Stick, but that's Fire TV with less hardware)

Most NFL games are broadcast over the air and carried on cable.  I do not think streaming will help with that.  Sling TV and HBO work on Fire TV and the Roku.  If you are going to subscribe to Sling TV, check out their promotions.  You can get $50 off a Roku or a free Roku Stick or $50 off a Fire TV or a free Chromecast with a three month subscription.  For BF, Best Buy and Kohls have a Roku SE (which looks like a Roku 1 to me) for $25, Best Buy and Staples have the Fire TV Stick for $25 and Staples has the Fire TV for $75.  

Not excited about deals on the new streamers except for the new Fire TV, but there are a couple no brainer deals for those who stream or think they may want to try streaming...

1. The Roku SE is selling for $25 at Kohls, Best Buy, and Walmart.  This Roku has a slower processor than the current Roku 2/3 models which are slower than the new Roku 4, but it has standard RCA composite out for older televisions.  Great stocking stuffer.  The composite cable is not included, but get one on ebay for $0.99 shipped!  Roku has great apps for Vudu, the Simple DVR, and the TabloTV DVR.
  2. Amazon's Fire TV Stick is $25 at Best Buy and Staples.  It's faster than the Roku SE and supports a voice remote.  Two features make it a no brainer.  Captive portal makes it easier to use hotel wifi with the Fire TV Stick.  Kodi support plus FireStarter allows the FTV Stick to easily slip in and out of a slick Media Center mode with virtually unlimited programming.
  3. Fire TV is $75 at Staples.  That's about half the price of the new Apple and Roku streamers.  With wired or wireless game controllers, the Fire TV is a terrific, inexpensive video game console that also happens to be an awesome streamer.  The new model is more powerful, adds 4k support, Alexa integration, and 801.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO, for better Wi-Fi video streaming.  Like the Fire TV Stick, this model supports Kodi and FireStarter.
Walmart is going to have the 1st gen Chromecast for $20.  Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, and Costco will all have the 2nd gen Chromecast at two for $50.

Happy streaming!

Edited by len_mullen

I have a Roku and honestly, have never used it for anything other than Netflix.  I'm not even sure what all it can do!  But it works great for Netflix! 

I don't think any of the streaming devices can stream NFL games.  You can stream them online, but I don't think through a streaming device.  Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.  I live out of state and would love to watch Steeler games instead of Colts!  I usually stream the game online and watch it on the computer. 

I have a Roku and honestly, have never used it for anything other than Netflix.  I'm not even sure what all it can do!  But it works great for Netflix! 

I don't think any of the streaming devices can stream NFL games.  You can stream them online, but I don't think through a streaming device.  Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.  I live out of state and would love to watch Steeler games instead of Colts!  I usually stream the game online and watch it on the computer. 

I think streaming from computer to roku device, would be something like plex.  i use kodi/xbmc for this on fire tv stick

Edited by Khobbs1

You can but it highly depends on where you live/ability to get direct tv. I was able to buy Sunday Ticket last year through my PS4 because I was in one of the three test markets last year. 

https://nflst.directv.com/

I have an older roku with the RCA connection and HDMI. I prefer it to my FireTV because some apps are not compatible with the FireTV. CNET has an app with some 2-5 minute videos, but it's not compatible with the Fire yet. I have written to them. I prefer the WatchESPN app on roku over Fire. I like to watch an aviation channel, AOPA Live, it's not on the Fire yet. Don't know when it will be.

Downside to the roku? There are about a thousand religious channels. I'm not kidding.

I say get the Roku SE, it's a little bit slower to load then a Fire TV box(not sure about the stick), but at $25, don't pass it up.

Edited by shoplifter

The Roku SE will be available directly from Roku in limited quantities for $25 starting Thursday.  

The downside to Roku is that updates are always a disaster and always mandatory.  The latest update (7.0) is slowly being pushed out now and the problems far exceed the benefits -- as usual.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90003

ya sure don't believe a word you have to say here, Ive had my Roku for over a year now and ive had no issues with it I have not been forced to update it or ever had an issue with doing so

ya sure don't believe a word you have to say here, Ive had my Roku for over a year now and ive had no issues with it I have not been forced to update it or ever had an issue with doing so

Hard to believe.  If you have not yet gotten 7 pushed to your Roku, fasten your seat belt.  Anyway, you can read the previous link then search the forum for mandatory update.  I have had MANY Rokus for a LONG time -- more than three years, anyway.  I have this blog: https://rokufordummies.wordpress.com.  

Good luck!

Edited by len_mullen