Official Black Friday SMARTPHONES Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

Last year we got DD a Smartphone for Christmas, we got her a LG TracFone. We got a one year service plan and paid for 400 minutes. It triples her minutes and text so she has had 100 text per month 100 minutes per month and I don't remember how much data. DD turned 12 March 2015 and this has been perfect for our family. She is able to stay in touch with all her older siblings, Search things on the internet, etc. If anyone is considering an inexpensive phone for their child this year, we have been happy with this. 

However I would like a new iphone for myself 

I enjoy the BF smartphone deals at Best Buy. If my son would learn to use a case, I would get him one.

What's the stock like on the phones on sale for BF? I think I upgraded 2 years ago come november and got my S4 for .01 at BB but the S5 was coming out then so might be more of an incentive to wait this year.

• Like 1

You made me curious now I need to go look at last years BF ad 

BestBuy - AT&T GoPhone Nokia Lumia 635 4G No-Contract Smartphone - $39.99

BestBuy - Apple iPhone 5S 16GB Smartphone w/ 2-Year Contract - $1

BestBuy - Apple iPhone 6 16GB Smartphone w/ 2-Year Contract - $99.99

BestBuy - LG G3 Android Smartphone w/ 2-Year Contract - $1
BestBuy - Samsung Galaxy S3 4G No-Contract Sprint Prepaid Phone - $79.99

BestBuy - Samsung Galaxy S5 w/ 2-Year Activation - $1

BestBuy - T-Mobile Prepaid Alcatel OneTouch Evolve No-Contract Smartphone - $24.99

BestBuy - Tracfone LG Ultimate 2 No-Contract Smartphone - $29.99
BestBuy - Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 510 No-Contract Smartphone - $29.99

• 2 months later...

So.. DD wants a galaxy S6.  i saw Best buy had them today for 1$ with a 2 yr contract.  (she is eligible for an upgrade).  Is there any reason I should wait? 

I do not want to pay a monthly installment... I'd be willing to commit to 2 yrs - since we've been doing it this way for years.....

Input?

UPDATE  - If I looked at the ads I would see it is 1C on BF too.. I guess i can wait :)

Edited by conj

So I went into Sams Club today to check out the Samsung S6 deal for Nov. 14th.  You have to be a Plus member to take advantage of the deal.  Upgrade your regular membership, get the plus membership and then after the sale, ask for a refund on the membership and get your money back.  

Option A - They said that the phone would be sold retail ($650 and up) and you would need to sign up for 24 month, 0% to pay it off.  You'll get the $300 gift card that can be used at Walmart or sams club.  So you get the phone (in theory) for $350.  You can switch the phone with any carrier at any time with out additional fees.  

Option B  - If you sign for a two year contract, the phone is 96 cents and pay an additional $40 for a new phone add because its a new contract.  

So you save $5 with going with option A.  I still don't know if the Staples deal is actually better.  Thoughts?

I'm also trying to find the best phone deal. Looking for an iPhone 6s and a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 installment plan on AT&T so I think Target is our best option.  Other stores either didn't have deals on both phones, didn't seem to have AT&T or had a trade in requirement.  I had an awful experience trying to edge up with Verizon, hence the switch to AT&T.  I'm hoping their next plan is what AT&T says it is and we don't get the run around trying to upgrade.  I'm not even sure if that's possible to do through another retailer but I suppose we will find out.  Interested in hearing what others think.

My contract is up in December. According to AT&T I am eligible for an upgrade on the next plan. I have the S5 right now. Was thinking S6, iPhone 6s or waiting on the S7 to come out.

Only reason I am looking at an iPhone is because (1) Galaxys no longer have the memory card slot to increase memory and (2) my Son is in the Navy and could use FaceTime with him in the future.

Of course DH and DD both have the iPhone 6 as does Navy DS.

Need help, I have never looked at phones on BF. Right now I am ending my contract, the rest of family all are on the Next plans with Att.

Help

My contract is up in December. According to AT&T I am eligible for an upgrade on the next plan. I have the S5 right now. Was thinking S6, iPhone 6s or waiting on the S7 to come out.

Only reason I am looking at an iPhone is because (1) Galaxys no longer have the memory card slot to increase memory and (2) my Son is in the Navy and could use FaceTime with him in the future.

Need help, I have never looked at phones on BF. Right now I am ending my contract, the rest of family all are on the Next plans with Att.

Help

No more SD card slot??  Are you serious?  I hadn't even really investigated because I can't really see giving up my GS4, but at this point I don't think I ever will...  Though I think I did see them having 64GB? That's more than my device memory and SD card combined right now, for sure.  I think I even only have 16GB microSD now.  *sigh*

I'm not really sure how everything works on BF.  I am sure there has to be someone that's purchased a phone on BF that could help out. If I get a chance today, I'll browse the archives for last year's forum for anything from then, too.

Help

Just a note - you don't HAVE to have an iPhone to facetime - you can also use an iPad or any Macbook. 

But if you get an iPhone, you can iMessage between your husband and daughter - essentially free text messaging (uses data.)  Although I get free texts now in my cell phone plan, I also have iMessage linked up on an iPad and Macbook so I can chat/text between any device.

Unfortunately I've never bought a phone on BF so I can't speak much to the experience.

Thanks Freesia we don't have any iPad or a Mac here. Navy DS does have a MacBook but he will have that with him wherever he is. He wants to be on a Sub, so only contact will be whenever they stop. If he was surface they do get limited wifi time on ship, and FB messenger is used a lot.

Maybe I will have to ask for an iPad for Xmas. Lol.

Thanks Freesia we don't have any iPad or a Mac here. Navy DS does have a MacBook but he will have that with him wherever he is. He wants to be on a Sub, so only contact will be whenever they stop. If he was surface they do get limited wifi time on ship, and FB messenger is used a lot.

Maybe I will have to ask for an iPad for Xmas. Lol.

Maybe a used/refurbished smaller/older iPad would work for you (in addition to any new phone, if you're still needing one).

I haven't done my research into plans this yr but 2 yrs ago, I got the Verizon Galaxy 5 for free deal at Best Buy.  They had the newer iphones and galaxy's for free or $1 or something.  Thought I was smart and ordered it online for store pick-up.  Got to the store at about 4pm on the Friday after Thanksgiving and there was a line inside wrapped all around the phone and laptop area.  Here I am thinking I'm smarter than those people on line because I did store pick up and lo and behold I ended up at the back of the line.  Long story not so short, I was on that line until about 10:30.  Pretty sure the store was already closed or closing.  The line wasn't moving because their system couldn't handle having to activate thousands and thousands of phones across the country.  Each customer took at least 20 minutes.  It was pretty bad but we all made friends on line, watched pirated movies on someone's laptop and complained about the wait.  While on line, they ran out of 1 of the iphone colors and I think one of the galaxy colors.  About 2 days after that, I got an e-mail from BB reminding me about item ready for pickup :gdcensored: 

Fast forward 2 yrs and I'm ready to do it all over again if I have to.  If I can figure out for sure that I can keep my unlimited data by transferring our upgrades again, I'll be at BB again but I'll try the in-store pickup and I'll try waiting until Saturday to go.    

:( i had considered upgrading my phone this year but then see at&t has pretty much done away with free phones w/contact renewal and everything is now monthly. Also saw that newer galaxy doesn't have card slot. So, should i go for an s5 available somewhere for .01 with renewal or keep s4 and get a cheap windows/lumia smartphone as a backup? Edited by tinkrbel

:( i had considered upgrading my phone this year but then see at&t has pretty much done away with free phones w/contact renewal and everything is now monthly. Also saw that newer galaxy doesn't have card slot. So, should i go for an s5 available somewhere for .01 with renewal or keep s4 and get a cheap windows/lumia smartphone as a backup?

AT&T does still offer 2yr contract pricing, they don't spend money advertising it, but they do continue to offer it.  You can get a galaxy S5 for free with a 2 yr upgrade or an HTC A9 (brand new phone this month) for $99 with a 2 yr contract.  They make more money on the "Next" program, so they are phasing out and not advertising the 2yr contracts, but they still do offer them and some phones priced lower with the 2yr contract renewal.

AT&T does still offer 2yr contract pricing, they don't spend money advertising it, but they do continue to offer it.  You can get a galaxy S5 for free with a 2 yr upgrade or an HTC A9 (brand new phone this month) for $99 with a 2 yr contract.  They make more money on the "Next" program, so they are phasing out and not advertising the 2yr contracts, but they still do offer them and some phones priced lower with the 2yr contract renewal.

I went to an AT&T store and asked about a 2 year contract renewal and was told that they no longer do it...

I will be going to a different one, after reading this,  My Contract is up in December and I was afraid I would have to go on the Next plan  The other 3 on plan are on it. and we hate it

i didn't realize when you do an upgrade and do a contract they charge the 700 price of the phone over the 2 yrs. for 10 yrs ive been paying this. For no reason as i still had a good working phone. Just thought i might as well take a new phone since it was free . This past year the agent explained if i signed the contract and upgraded but kept my old phone my plan would go down 50.00 a month. I was shocked. I now have a 125.00 a month plan instead of tehe 225 i was paying for 3 phones. we have perfectly fine iphones and galaxy's. and when we need new ones, i will buy used ones on facebook for 100 off someone else. My grandkids i had a gophone but it doesn't work well since they moved so i plan on buying the lg lucky tracphone for them. they are just 9 and 11. 

Really interested in the iPhone 6s deal with $250 GC at Target, but I really don't want to go to the store on Thursday night.  Do you think if I wait until Friday I will still be able to get this deal?  DD has been living with an iPhone 4s with a cracked screen for several months now and it's time to upgrade!

anybody know if sprint does any specials for black friday? looking to add my Fiancee to my sprint account. she still owes on her phone from ATT. sprint corp stores will let me add her paying for 2 year contract and would take her phone and then pay off what owes to keep her number. they want normal price for the Galaxy S6. some stores have it for 1 or less but then would need  a new number and still pay off her old phone