Official Black Friday LAPTOPS Discussion Thread

Brad

If I buy the full version wouldn't it be better deal or not idk anything about the year one

I buy full versions and still have an use them, even when I migrate to a new computer, you own it for life, supposed to uninstall from old one and then install on new PC.

With Office 365, you lease the car.  Yes you have the newest one (I don't see any useful difference between office 2010 and newest office), but you pay monthly for a total of $99/yr+.  You can own it for that price (Staples I believe has office 2016 for $99 BF). 

• Like 1

BTW, the Microsoft store will likely have Black Friday prices too.

Currently:

- $99/year or $9.99/mo to run it on 5 devices.

- $69/year or $6.99/mo to run it on 1 device.

The Staples deal for $99 appears to be a discounted Microsoft for Home & Student version that does not include the following applications that are included in 365:

- Outlook

- Publisher

- Access

- OneDrive

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.69403900

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20% discount direct from Microsoft on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

My DD12 wants a new laptop for Christmas.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  She will be mostly streaming video and music.  She doesn't do any gaming except for Roblox (not a lot of that either).  

She may be doing a little schoolwork but it will just mostly be surfing the web and streaming.  TIA!

• Like 1

Is it just me or are they just blowing out the 500mb bundles?

I do see some "deals"  but nothing that to me is super.... ultimately interested in a kinect with xbox (must be 1tb) and a freebie game/controller.....no where to be found. Closest I have come to it 1tb with game and in my case it would be the Madden 2016 lowest price is 399.99.... anyone see anything better?? 

Is it just me or are they just blowing out the 500mb bundles?

I do see some "deals"  but nothing that to me is super.... ultimately interested in a kinect with xbox (must be 1tb) and a freebie game/controller.....no where to be found. Closest I have come to it 1tb with game and in my case it would be the Madden 2016 lowest price is 399.99.... anyone see anything better?? 

Hmm....post ni the wrong thread here by accident?

Mods, think we can move this to the Video Game thread?

Looking to buy a laptop on Black Friday.  Not tech savy I just need it for reading e-mails surfing the web. my current laptop is 4 years old and very slow and freezes . Any suggestions  would be greatly appreciated looking at a budget of $250-300?? 

Looking for a laptop to mostly stream movies and t.v. shows on.  What's the most important component I need to look for?

To make sure it has a wireless card.    Kidding, all laptops now days come with a wireless card, but could not resist.

You need a nice screen and screen size, 15.6" minimum, likely you will want 17.3"

With a large screen and the want to have it on hours at a time watching movies, you want a large battery that can put out multiple hours of on time.

Since you will be just streaming not running games, high powered GPU not required.

My 16 yo daughter needs a new laptop. She has been using a Walmart door $150 door buster for the past 4 years. She hates it and I don't blame her. However, we really don't know what she needs. She wants to be able to use office for excel and word. She also wants it to be reasonably responsive. She will store and edit photos and videos. She is most comfortable with Mac products and we are thinking a MacBook air is the way to go. Any suggestions or caveats would be greatly appreciated. She would like it to last into college.

I am looking for a laptop for my fiancé and he has given me a few things to look for as far a minimum requirements. First it has to have a dedicated video card to run some of the programs he uses, i5 or better processor, no less then 8gb ram and 500gb hard drive. Those are the basics but I would prefer to get him something that wont be obsolete soon. He's in engineering school so he will be using it a lot over then next 3 years. Of the Black Friday options you have seen so far which is the best bang for my buck. Looking to keep it under $800 if possible.

Looking for a new laptop but I do not understand the differences in the processors. I need it for basic use but hate a slow computer. I was trying to decide between the Best Buy HP Pavilion 17.3" intel i5 and the Walmart HP 15.6" intel celeron. The Walmart laptop only has 500 GB hard drive compared to the 1T on the Pavilion but they both have 4 GB RAM memory. I'm not sure why the Pavilion is priced higher other than the bigger hard drive and screen size? Is there other specs that I don't understand that makes it more expensive? I guess I am wondering if the Walmart price guarantee laptop is a good choice? Any advice is appreciated or other suggestions.

Looking for a new laptop but I do not understand the differences in the processors. I need it for basic use but hate a slow computer. I was trying to decide between the Best Buy HP Pavilion 17.3" intel i5 and the Walmart HP 15.6" intel celeron. The Walmart laptop only has 500 GB hard drive compared to the 1T on the Pavilion but they both have 4 GB RAM memory. I'm not sure why the Pavilion is priced higher other than the bigger hard drive and screen size? Is there other specs that I don't understand that makes it more expensive? I guess I am wondering if the Walmart price guarantee laptop is a good choice? Any advice is appreciated or other suggestions.

The Intel i5 would run circles around the Celeron. That may the the main reason its priced more. Celeron processors are the value based processors. So if are not playing games on it or watching a bunch of videos, then the Celeron may be ok for you. The problem really shows when you are trying to multitask or have many windows open at the same time. Or when it is running programs that take a lot of energy to do. I am looking for a new laptop myself but would not get a Celeron for me because I Youtube and play Netflix a lot on it. But I am looking at getting a Celeron one for my mom because all she does is check emails, pay bills and other low task stuff. I hoped this helps. :)

The Intel i5 would run circles around the Celeron. That may the the main reason its priced more. Celeron processors are the value based processors. So if are not playing games on it or watching a bunch of videos, then the Celeron may be ok for you. The problem really shows when you are trying to multitask or have many windows open at the same time. Or when it is running programs that take a lot of energy to do. I am looking for a new laptop myself but would not get a Celeron for me because I Youtube and play Netflix a lot on it. But I am looking at getting a Celeron one for my mom because all she does is check emails, pay bills and other low task stuff. I hoped this helps. :)

I thought the celeron would be slower also but in the specs it says it is 2.16 GHz and the intel i5 is 1.7 GHz. I'm not computer literate so I don't know what numbers are important. 

Macs are seldom discounted as well as "PC's" but I believe the best deals of the year on all PC's and Macs alike are to be had on or around Black Friday.

Not really. The best deals for Macs are usually found during the summer "Back to School" sales. Best Buy has been known to knock off $150 off of a Macbook. Combined with the USPS Movers coupons and the Best Buy Student coupons... and you can get some great deals. A year ago I bought a new 2014 MacBook Air within a month of that refresh being released... for only $650 plus tax! Not bad for a $899 computer.

If you are willing to camp out Best Buy has a basic 15.6" 500 GB Windows 10 laptop for $139.99. If not the 1 hour guarantee at Wal-Mart may be your best option for a budget laptop.

I thought the celeron would be slower also but in the specs it says it is 2.16 GHz and the intel i5 is 1.7 GHz. I'm not computer literate so I don't know what numbers are important. 

I wonder if that may be a misprint. When I go to the Intel site, the Intel i5 generally starts at 2.3. You may want to compare the model numbers at other sites like Amazon to see if the specs add up. There are also different types of Celeron processors that clock at different speeds, but I still would prefer i5 for multitasking. Check out the Intel website and that may be able to help you decide. But I say....go with your needs and if they are basic and the price is right Celeron may just work for you.  

Oh yeah and other things may come into play like if the Bestbuy one has bluetooth, webcam, disk drive, etc. The Walmart laptop may not have some of these items which may make it cheaper. I have noticed that a LOT of laptops no longer have a drive any more which allows them to sell them for cheaper..

Edited by deelite

I wonder if that may be a misprint. When I go to the Intel site, the Intel i5 generally starts at 2.3. You may want to compare the model numbers at other sites like Amazon to see if the specs add up. There are also different types of Celeron processors that clock at different speeds, but I still would prefer i5 for multitasking. Check out the Intel website and that may be able to help you decide. But I say....go with your needs and if they are basic and the price is right Celeron may just work for you.  

Oh yeah and other things may come into play like if the Bestbuy one has bluetooth, webcam, disk drive, etc. The Walmart laptop may not have some of these items which may make it cheaper. I have noticed that a LOT of laptops no longer have a drive any more which allows them to sell them for cheaper..

Other part to remember is number of cores, the i5 likely has more cores as well than the celeron part. 

The $299 Toshiba here in the ad for example should run much better than that celeron one.  http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/OfficeDepot

• Like 1

I was going to buy my daughter the $250 hp laptop at walmart, but now I see kohls has an asus for $250 that I can order right now. I don't know anything about laptops, which is better? I'm really tempted to order the Asus right now so I can get the kohls cash. But I don't want to make the wrong decision. Please help!

I was going to buy my daughter the $250 hp laptop at walmart, but now I see kohls has an asus for $250 that I can order right now. I don't know anything about laptops, which is better? I'm really tempted to order the Asus right now so I can get the kohls cash. But I don't want to make the wrong decision. Please help!

Kohl's is an older model that runs windows 8.1, its the almost the same as the one Best Buy will have for $139.99 but its windows 10, HP at Walmart is Windows 10 also

given your choices I would get the one at Walmart if you cant you always have a backup to order at Kohl's

Now I'm really considering the Toshiba C55-C5241 offered on Amazon's deals page for today. It has Intel i5 processor, 8GB memory, 1 TB hard drive and a DVD drive. On sale for $425.  Sorry I don't know how to post the link.

What do you all think about this laptop vs the 1 hr guarantee one at Walmart? Or the Office Depot one that is $300.?

Now I'm really considering the Toshiba C55-C5241 offered on Amazon's deals page for today. It has Intel i5 processor, 8GB memory, 1 TB hard drive and a DVD drive. On sale for $425.  Sorry I don't know how to post the link.

What do you all think about this laptop vs the 1 hr guarantee one at Walmart? Or the Office Depot one that is $300.?

the best deal is the Amazon one, it has the intel i5 processor, compared to AMD at Office Depot same all other specs the same. the one at Walmart only has 4 gb of ram and a 500gb Hard drive.

and here is the link to Amazon incase anybody else is interested

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010SBAJDS/ref=gbps_rlm_s-3_4782_1677bb82?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2292984782&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y4F5E56ZAJHGVG6JBPG

Edited by riven3d
  • Like 1

There is also one on Bestbuy.com that is $299 that is a Dell, touchscreen, 8gb and 1tb but is i3. You have to be Elite or Elite Plus to buy today but Core members will be able to buy tomorrow.

My 9 yr old wants a laptop for Christmas and I am considering a chromebook or an Andriod tablet or a Windows 2 in 1. I am not sure which to get. She only wants it for researching, writing stories, playing games, playing minecraft. I don't want to spend much moe than $100 if that. Any opinions?