Official Black Friday LAPTOPS Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

We got a Lenovo Y series last year. maybe you can watch for the current version to be discounted when a newer version comes out.

The time before when we needed "gaming" laptops, we just looked at regular laptops with added video cards. Those were a little cheaper and worked very well.

I've never understood the desire for a "gaming laptop".  Its just silly.  It costs twice as much, scrunched keyboard, please don't tell me you're using the touchpad or red nub, you have a screen half as big and you'd be lucky if the battery lasts an hour while gaming.

If you want to game, really, why on Earth would you want to do it on a laptop?  22 inch monitors are $85 all day long.  Get two or three.

They make awesome gaming cases these days that even have handles so you can take them with you when you want.  And they're not that expensive.  I just bought one with placements for 9 case fans with slide out air filters even (currently using 4 not counting the PSU fan).  $50 at TigerDirect.

• Like 1

I've never understood the desire for a "gaming laptop".  Its just silly.  It costs twice as much, scrunched keyboard, please don't tell me you're using the touchpad or red nub, you have a screen half as big and you'd be lucky if the battery lasts an hour while gaming.

If you want to game, really, why on Earth would you want to do it on a laptop?  22 inch monitors are $85 all day long.  Get two or three.

They make awesome gaming cases these days that even have handles so you can take them with you when you want.  And they're not that expensive.  I just bought one with placements for 9 case fans with slide out air filters even (currently using 4 not counting the PSU fan).  $50 at TigerDirect.

I worked out of town a lot and would game at night with friends online, can't take a tower case, screen and everything else with me on jobs. To be honest though the reason I wanted a high power laptop was I did a lot of 3D work so I wanted the discrete graphics. Yes they get more expensive but just like a desktop the better the equipment you put into the machine the more expensive that machine comes. I used an external mouse and a Nostromo for controls. I hate using the pad for day to day let alone trying to game on something like that.

Man, when I travel for work, there is never time for gaming...  Up at 6am and if I'm lucky, back in bed by midnight...

But somehow I suspect that most people shopping for gaming laptops for their sons aren't doing it so their sons can game while traveling for work.

Man, when I travel for work, there is never time for gaming... Up at 6am and if I'm lucky, back in bed by midnight...

But somehow I suspect that most people shopping for gaming laptops for their sons aren't doing it so their sons can game while traveling for work.

Exactly not for traveling on a work trip but,When we visit with family he wants to have on so he can play with his uncle.Thats why I'm trying to see my options on a fairly inexpensive one.

Trouble is, if you try to go cheap on a gaming laptop, you may end up with an expensive laptop that doesn't game well...

Tell the uncle to build another gaming rig for visitors.  :)  Problem solved.  Haha

Actually, if driving, bringing a gaming computer isn't hard.  It's the animals who handle checked luggage that you have to watch out for...

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter told me that she wants her own laptop for Christmas.  She will be 9 next month so she doesn't need anything fancy.  It will mostly be used to play kids games online and to watch Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. 

I have noticed that laptops that run Chrome seem to be a little cheaper.  I've never had a laptop that runs Chrome.  Can anyone tell me their thoughts on chrome operating system? 

My daughter told me that she wants her own laptop for Christmas.  She will be 9 next month so she doesn't need anything fancy.  It will mostly be used to play kids games online and to watch Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. 

I have noticed that laptops that run Chrome seem to be a little cheaper.  I've never had a laptop that runs Chrome.  Can anyone tell me their thoughts on chrome operating system? 

Hubby just purchased a laptop with Chrome on it and I am NOT a Chrome fan - so he is downloading Firefox for me for when I use it... might be an option for your daughter.

• Like 1

It really depends on what you want to do. ChromeOS is a cloud type OS will not run MS applications or games and such. It's meant to be more like the old netbooks where they aren't powerful just inexpensive. In my VERY limited dealing with it I wasn't super impressed but they have been around a while so I guess they have a place :)

• Like 1

We bought our daughter an HP touch screen laptop last year at Walmrt on BF for $250. She loves it and has not had any issues with it so far. She uses her for school work, watching videos on youtube and netflix and plays games on her.

Edited by berry1014
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
We got the same HP touch screen from Walmart last year and got a virus which was my fault but it took us a few weeks to get rid of it. It is working perfectly now my daughter uses it for playing Roblox and Sims. I'm hoping to get a MacBook Air this year.

I loved Firefox's interface, but I moved from Firefox to Chrome browser because of constant lockups and got sick and tired of Mozilla locking out addons (such as Flash and Shockwave) and not allowing me to run my computer as I want to with each upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of where the best place with price is gonna be for Microsoft office 2016??

Noone can really know that at this point. We'll need to wait until all the ads are leaked.  Currently Staples looks to have the best price....since it's the only place.  We'll know when all the ads are leaked, and even then you still have Cyber Monday, for which this could be an item on sale (e.g. newegg.com).

Noone can really know that at this point. We'll need to wait until all the ads are leaked. Currently Staples looks to have the best price....since it's the only place. We'll know when all the ads are leaked, and even then you still have Cyber Monday, for which this could be an item on sale (e.g. newegg.com).

Do you know if the software goes on sale usually on BF? This is my first time purchasing it lol I got a demo right now and it's great lol I need it in my life

Do you know if the software goes on sale usually on BF? This is my first time purchasing it lol I got a demo right now and it's great lol I need it in my life

I would expect it to be in various stores, yes.  It's much like antivirus software; multiple offers at multiple locations every year.  You'll likely get a better deal if you buy together with a PC/Laptop.  You'll also want to compare the full version vs. Office 365 (where you buy a year subscription).

FYI on chromebooks.

I just purchased an Asus C300 for my 10 year old daughter's birthday. I was a bit skeptical, but totally happy with the purchase. Chromebooks usually come in color combos kids love. They are feather light. The simplicity of Chrome prevents kids from messing things up, you can refresh the machine in less than 60 seconds. Also lots of schools are using Chromebooks so it certainly doesn't hurt to have your child get a leg up. The screens are not top of the line as far as viewing angles etc, but my daughter said hers is just fine. Also I think you have to use a wireless printer. For internet and youtube and google docs, I wouldn't hesitate to go this route again. And for the price I dont have to be too crazy about her having an accident with a more expensive windows machine. Google "Best Chromebooks" and you will get a great idea of which names keep popping up. Sometimes simple is much better

Edited by sdn40
  • Like 1

I would expect it to be in various stores, yes. It's much like antivirus software; multiple offers at multiple locations every year. You'll likely get a better deal if you buy together with a PC/Laptop. You'll also want to compare the full version vs. Office 365 (where you buy a year subscription).

If I buy the full version wouldn't it be better deal or not idk anything about the year one

If I buy the full version wouldn't it be better deal or not idk anything about the year one

My understanding is that with the 365, you get automatic updates but have to renew each year.  With the full version (which I'd actually thought they were going to get rid of), I think it's active forever but you don't get the new versions.  Looks like the ROI is ~3 years.