Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

I don't really play video games, but I do buy them for my 2 DS.  I guess I am old school as well b/c I would rather buy them the actual physical games, rather than paying for it to be downloaded onto their system.  If I buy a system that comes with a downloadable game for it then I guess they'll just have to download it but any other game they get will be the actual game. LOL!

Son informed me that he wants an Xbox 1 - said the 500gb isn't enough he would need the 1TB - can you hook up an external hard-drive to give you more room for storing games?

I'd even say 1TB isn't enough, honestly. A gold XBox Live account will net 4 free games a month.. But yes, you can use an external HD with USB 3 to add more space. I've had my XB1 since February and I've got around 40 or so titles? But I've only bought and paid for two of them.

• Like 1

How do you know which of the newer titles that WON'T go on sale?? I suppose you could always purchase and then return after BF if the store lets you??

Well, it's been my experience that the Nintendo titles don't really drop in price until they've been out for a while. So I'll be purchasing games like Yoshi's Wooly World and others like that, and instead of paying $180 for 3 games I'll pay $120 and then also get my 5% red card discount. I'll wait on the PS4 titles my other son wants though, because those typically do go lower for BF.

• Like 1

How do you know which of the newer titles that WON'T go on sale??  I suppose you could always purchase and then return after BF if the store lets you??

Stick to the new releases that are priced at $59.99, those make it worth while even if they go on sale, you'll still save $60 which should be better than BF prices, as they shouldn't drop that much.

If not buying the more expensive games, then I would wait for BF as I found you don't save much, if at all, for games that are $19.99 - $29.99.

• Like 1

I need some opinions, please! My 11-year-old son asked for a PS4 for xmas but his list of games is short. He wants Minecraft, Terraria, and Destiny. And then he has "other games" I think because he really doesn't know what's out there, and neither do I! I've been looking online but it's hard to know which games are really fun and which ones are just so-so because a lot have mixed reviews. I'd like to get a few more games for him besides those ones. Can anyone suggest some great PS4 titles, please? My only rules are no boobs, sex stuff, or excessive swearing. He has a little brother who's always attached to him. I preordered Trackmania Turbo, that sounds fun. Skylanders Superchargers is another one I'm getting but for the Wii U so the kids can share it in the Family Room, the PS4 will be in my son's bedroom. Help! Thanks, everyone.
  • Like 1

I need some opinions, please! My 11-year-old son asked for a PS4 for xmas but his list of games is short. He wants Minecraft, Terraria, and Destiny. And then he has "other games" I think because he really doesn't know what's out there, and neither do I! I've been looking online but it's hard to know which games are really fun and which ones are just so-so because a lot have mixed reviews. I'd like to get a few more games for him besides those ones. Can anyone suggest some great PS4 titles, please? My only rules are no boobs, sex stuff, or excessive swearing. He has a little brother who's always attached to him. I preordered Trackmania Turbo, that sounds fun. Skylanders Superchargers is another one I'm getting but for the Wii U so the kids can share it in the Family Room, the PS4 will be in my son's bedroom. Help! Thanks, everyone.

My son had originally wanted an Xbox One, then said a PS4, but then I pointed out one very important factor to him.

All his friends play on Xbox, except 2. If he were to get the PS4, he'd lose that social interaction (which is very important to him - these are all boys that grew up together in baseball and elementary school, but due to wonky districting in our town they all go to different middle schools). So even though the PS4 has more appeal (mainly the Taken King special edition), he's going to stick with the network where he can find his friends.

(He's almost 13.)

And as a side note, Xbox Live goes down far less than PSN.

My son had originally wanted an Xbox One, then said a PS4, but then I pointed out one very important factor to him.

All his friends play on Xbox, except 2. If he were to get the PS4, he'd lose that social interaction (which is very important to him - these are all boys that grew up together in baseball and elementary school, but due to wonky districting in our town they all go to different middle schools). So even though the PS4 has more appeal (mainly the Taken King special edition), he's going to stick with the network where he can find his friends.

(He's almost 13.)

And as a side note, Xbox Live goes down far less than PSN.

Oh absolutely, you have to go with the one that all their friends play on, for sure! In our case that's the PS4. His friends and my youngest brother play on there, so that's where he wants to be.

My husband said maybe a COD game for him? But there are so many! My brother waited for a midnight release of one, but I can't remember the name. And I don't want to pick his brain about this because he overwhelms me with info on anything game/computer related and I get too confused. He's 17 and knows everything. (Remember those days?)

Oh absolutely, you have to go with the one that all their friends play on, for sure! In our case that's the PS4. His friends and my youngest brother play on there, so that's where he wants to be.

My husband said maybe a COD game for him? But there are so many! My brother waited for a midnight release of one, but I can't remember the name. And I don't want to pick his brain about this because he overwhelms me with info on anything game/computer related and I get too confused. He's 17 and knows everything. (Remember those days?)

My son (now 20) loves the COD games, but I do hear a lot of cussing when he's playing (and not all of it is from him, lol).  There may be a way to censor it though, I don't really know anything about it.

My son (now 20) loves the COD games, but I do hear a lot of cussing when he's playing (and not all of it is from him, lol). There may be a way to censor it though, I don't really know anything about it.

Lol! Thanks for the tip. It's not my DS11 I'm worried about but his little 6-year-old brother who's basically a human parrot. That kid will repeat ANYTHING! I'm always like where did you hear that!?

• Like 1

Does your son like super heroes?  My son likes the Batman games (Arkham City, Arkham Asylum), Justice League...

Lego games are kid friendly - not sure if your son is too old, but my son is 8 and loves playing them!

Minecraft and Terraria are probably his most favorite and Skate 3 (if your son likes skateboarding, it's a good game).

My son loves war games, first person shooter, if the game isn't too bad, we'll allow him to play with the volume off.  But they have a lot of bad language.

RPG games...Skyrim was very well liked by both my husband and son.

Stay away from Grand Theft Auto...LOL!! 

Not sure of the new releases.  Usually my husband keeps me up to date for our son.  This year, it's Lego Dimensions.

• Like 1

COD Ghosts is popular here. So is Halo 4 (apparently I was the last holdout parent to allow him to have it).

Oddly enough I have no problem with the Assasins Creed games - I really like them for my own gaming - but a number of other parents don't like them. I think they are less violent than COD and Halo.

I'm the one who plays the Lego games.

PvZ Garden Warfare is another one they go to when bored with Destiny.

Halo is a great game, but it is exclusive to Xbox. 

If you're going to buy your son a PS4, I suggest buying him a Play Station Plus card.  They're around $50 for a year, but at this time, they run sales so be on the lookout.  They give you free games to download monthly, some of them are popular titles.  He can also play online with his friends. 

It's well worth the $$$, and he may get more out of it than taking a chance at a $50 game. 

Just a suggestion, jakesmommy403!

I'm probably going to come aross as a bit of a jerk right now, but as a gamer and a mother.. I absolutely hate when there are little kids on Call of Duty. There's a ton of great, age appropriate titles out there.

Nope - you are not coming across as a jerk at all. Like I said - I was the last holdout of all his friends in getting COD. (He's 12, 7th grade).

I actually find there is a real gap in pre-teen appropriate games. There's younger child, and then lots of FPS games, but not much in-between. Half the time the Xbox winds up in my bedroom so I get to listen in on the boys when they are playing. They have very strict rules that they all follow set down by one of the other moms - and they never complain about following them! They are not allowed to call each other by their real names (so all you hear is "Vamp!" and "EMan!" and "CoolNinja" half the time), and if someone is in their party they have not actually met, they are not allowed to be on chat at all. I think it's great, because it's also fostered a lot of sleepovers/non-gaming get togethers with the boys so they can meet each other. (I mentioned before, our districting is weird here, they are constantly switching schools from elementary to middle to high (and getting ready to close 5 schools in the county) but the kids all get to know each other through sports and "friends of friends".)

He is REALLY looking forward to Star Wars Battlefront. It's on his must-have list. He played the beta a few weeks ago a loved it. He kind of wants Lego Dimensions - but still feels burned over the whole Skylanders thing. Plus knows I will probably play it more than him, but I just want the Doctor Who add-on. :D