Toshiba laptop $399 @ BB - NO REBATES!!!

RossMAN

If I wanted to drive down to Chicago (7 hrs), I could've got them(2) for $399, but I think I'd spend $100 on gas and extras.....and i'd have some fun too while I'm in the windy city. That's not cheap. : )

I should've had them upgrade the RAM while I was there for $50 each notebook, I thought I'd take it home and see if the kids really needed it for their stuff or not. They need it. It's always at 80-90% used. Now I'd have to pay the geek squad $60 each to install. No way.

How difficult is it to put extra 256 cards in? Is it just in the back or do I have to open up the computer? Should I pay a pro to do it or can I?

It's quite easy to swap out the RAM modules. There's a cover on the bottom (underside) of the case that you unscrew, pop out any of the modules you don't want in there, and swap in the new RAM modules.

Most laptop manuals have step by step directions on how to do it. I imagine this one will as well.

A 10-minute job.

In my area they were 449 but I went to Best Buys web site and found a city that had them for 399 and printed off the Sunday ad. Took that with me and asked if they would PM. Said no problem. Didn't tell them the city was 200 miles away. I don't think he cared as when we went to get it off the shelf I asked how many of those boxes were this one. About half the shelf was. They must of had 20 or more left. This was Thursday afternoon. They didn't have any on display. Which could explain it.

Also on notebookreview.com they list another Toshiba at Best Buy this weekend. Similar to the one this week only a widescreen and 512 ram for 499. If they wouldn't have PM the one this week I would have waited for that one. Just ordered more ram for this one.

Also used Best Buys rewards card and have $20 coming to use there, so made it cheaper yet.

FYI....

Before I got around to installing extra RAM, I noticed increasing problems with one of the two laptops I bought last Monday. It won't read some discs, then it will, then it won't. Also the CD/DVD drive makes horrendous growling sounds....the other laptop doesn't. I haven't hada bit of trouble with that one, but this one is terrible. So I dug out my receipt and taking it back to BB tonight. At first I thought I'd have them put in a new drive, but nowI think I just want them to give me a new one in exchange. I hope they can do that! :( :( :( Can they do with computers? It's only been 7 days.

FYI....

Before I got around to installing extra RAM, I noticed increasing problems with one of the two laptops I bought last Monday. It won't read some discs, then it will, then it won't. Also the CD/DVD drive makes horrendous growling sounds....the other laptop doesn't. I haven't hada bit of trouble with that one, but this one is terrible. So I dug out my receipt and taking it back to BB tonight. At first I thought I'd have them put in a new drive, but nowI think I just want them to give me a new one in exchange. I hope they can do that! :( :( :( Can they do with computers? It's only been 7 days.

OR...

Should I try to get my money back and get oneof the other Toshibas for $499 with the 512 RAM and a 60 hard drive???:cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

OR...

Should I try to get my money back and get oneof the other Toshibas for $499 with the 512 RAM and a 60 hard drive???:cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Since it's been opened they most likely won't do a refund w/out charging you a 15% restocking fee I'm afraid. Worth a shot though since it started acting up so quickly.

Since it's been opened they most likely won't do a refund w/out charging you a 15% restocking fee I'm afraid. Worth a shot though since it started acting up so quickly.

I agree. If they prove it's DEFECTIVE they might give a full refund or at least exchange for a new laptop.

I have to wait until they get a replacement Toshiba in on Monday but it's worth it.

The Geek guy tried out a couple of DVDs and CDs and said there wasn't anything wrong. I brought in my Microsoft Works Suite discs and had him try it. The drive wouldn't read anything, growled, and then refused to spit it out. Uh huh. :3duck: