Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Progress on the website...

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason82  OFFLINE  

Jason82

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 27, 2004 - 4:56 pm

Welp, a couple days ago I bought www.nkuchat.com

Since then I've installed Mambo and phpbb2 forums. I started to convert the Mambo template/graphics to school colors. (my school's website is www.nku.edu)

Any thoughts so far? It's confusing trying to break apart other peoples' PHP code so I'd like to be able to make my own eventually.

This is only a only baby steps I've taken, of course, but it has been fun so far ;)

BIG projects on the table: professor rating/comment system (not sure if I should do something similar to resellerratings.com rating system, or something more simply like newegg.com's item rating/comment section.) How difficult of a system is this going to be implement?

The "news" part of the site is going to be dedicated to keeping an up-the-minute report of what the goings-on are at NKU (phi tau hosting breakfast at 9am, library hosing bob dole / john mcgovern lecture at 1pm, baseball game at 7pm, yada yada yada) ... and then the bulk of the content will be a listing off all (most) of the classes at NKU and will point users towards overview pages (professor ratings) and links to chat (in the forum) about that specific class... IE, trade notes, etc.

Your thoughts?

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 27, 2004 - 5:11 pm

Looks nice although you may want to choose more subtle colors. They are VERY bright on my Dell 1900LCD. You're off to a good start.

#3 Jason82  OFFLINE  

Jason82

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 27, 2004 - 5:41 pm

Thanks Ross! I know what you're saying about the brightness. School colors are gold/white. I think I'm going to change the background to a fading concrete-type texture instead of yellow, and I'll tune the brightness of the main graphic down a bit. EDIT: I changed the background and it looks much better. I'm not sure if I should tone down the main graphic or not. I also fixed the main forum graphic, it looks nice and integrates well.

#4 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,430 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 28, 2004 - 5:42 am

Good start so far. Once you launch you could consider having us set up a customized deal site for it. College students love saving money and buying gadgets :)

#5 Jason82  OFFLINE  

Jason82

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 29, 2004 - 9:22 am

Thanks guys. Brad, that will be a great idea here within the next few weeks as I get it wrapped up. I already played with the RSS newsfeed for gotta deal and it works great. EDIT: On the plate now: integrating the 5 star rating system into the HTML. I need to design the php page that will hold the professor info/rating/comment section.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users