netflix or blockbuster for online rental?

kyndig1

I never had netflix, but had blockbuster. I liked them because I got the coupons for when I knew there was a new rental coming out and I wanted to see it that week. I just plain liked that they delivered to my house. Well, when I moved I canceled my account and told them I needed service turned off immediatly. Then I mailed back the videos I had and moved. When I got here I got 3 emails saying that they sent out videos to my old address. The post office never got my change of address right for the first 2 mths and just recently we started getting our mail. Well, I just got charged for all these movies like I kept them. I think the new residents at my house kept them. Now blockbuster won't respond to my emails about the fact that it was their mistake that they continued my service when I requested immediate turn off. Grr! Otherwise, I never had a late charge when I was with them. lol

Guest outrbanx

Saw this on cnn.com

Netflix sends frequent renters to the back of line

Policy designed to reduce number of films rented for monthly fee

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/netflix.renters.ap/index.html

:g_thumbsd

Yep. Most of their customers know this. We have had Netflix for just over a year and have already been affected by it. I have weighed them against BB and WalMart, but the selection at Netflix just cannot be beat. Even with the issue of "throttling", it is still a good deal and worth every penny. IMO.

Saw this on cnn.com

Did you know that kmbrly999 posted this same link like 3 posts before you?

Anyway, although I am a frequent renter, how many other people are watching Season 3 of 24 and Season 1 of M*A*S*H? I seem to always get my movies, even if my wife throws in a romantic-comedy or two. :)

Saw this on cnn.com

This has absolutely happened to us. We returned all 3 movies at the same time and live in jax fl.....daytona dist center is 1.5 hours away and that is were all were mailed to....took 1 3 days to get here the second 4 and the last 7 days! we rent 3 at a time and hit the 12 per month mark most months....we though something was up before christmas but werent sure until I saw this tread a few weeks ago!

Blockbuster vs netflix

blockbuster has an in store unlimited system. it was nice when i had the kids for the summer. could go in there every day to switch out the movies. but there was never anything good there.

we had had netflix before, and found it took forever to get movies back. i never thought that they would do it purposefully, but it makes sense. they are basically the same as far as i am concerned. netflix was easier to order movies, whereas blockbuster changes pages when you click to add a movie and you have to go back to the screen. and it was easier with netflix to find movies, but blockbuster is ok.

and i get in store rentals as well. my sister uses her instore rentals for games. last month they asked if i would prefer one free rental a week instead of the 2 a month, but i didn't know whether i should take that instead. so i still have the 2 a month. also sometime sthey give you coupon for free previously viewed movies, or buy one previously viewed and get one for $5 or something.

It's funny this thread popped back up today.

I got an email from Blockbuster.com today telling me they're cancelling my membership within 24 hours for "excessive reporting of DVD issues".

Yeah, well, when it takes almost 2 weeks for some movies to clear my queue, and of course they wont send the next movie until one clears, you're damn skippy I'm going to report DVD issues. And one was sent out, supposedly to arrive to my around the 14th, still hasnt made it, so I reported that one too.

I really liked Blockbuster more than Netflix too, but come on, it shouldn't take 2 weeks for movies to get from me to Ft Lauderdale (22 miles), or Miami (46 miles).

I called the number listed in the email, and told them to do what they had to do. I'd just go back to Netflix. Explained that I had even emailed BB a month or so ago with my concerns about the length of time it was taking for them to receive movies. The guy I talked to was sympathetic, and wanted to transfer me to a supervisor so I could tell them of the trouble I was having. I declined. I had already told them in an email, and had just told him. If they want to lose me as a customer, fine.

Then at the end of the call, he said I would get a confirmation email, saying whether or not my membership would be cancelled. Hmmm. WTF? maybe they're changing their minds?? I told him that if they didn't cancel, and left my membership alone, I would STILL be reporting any DVD issues I have.

Who knows?

well you know what, i am experiencing the same thing with netflix. i and my husband watch alot of movies. say it comes today we watch it today and mail it tomorrow. off late my movies are either not reaching them or it takes them 1 week to get the movie... so there is something wrong with netflix for sure....

there was another funny thing that happened with us. i had ordered a dvd from netflix which didnt turn up for 5 days. next day when i check my account online, i see the same movie which i had ordered has been returned to them . god only knows how!! i didnt even get that movie in the first place, i dont know who returned it. i even sent netflix a mail regarding it and till date i havent gotten any reply.. they are starting to bug me now. another movie they havent recieved for 5 days but the one which i mailed them later, they have recieved that. i dont know how their system works?

there was another funny thing that happened with us. i had ordered a dvd from netflix which didnt turn up for 5 days. next day when i check my account online, i see the same movie which i had ordered has been returned to them . god only knows how!! i didnt even get that movie in the first place, i dont know who returned it.

Sounds like someone else got your movie, opened the envelop and watched it, and then returned it. In this day and age, you're lucky they didn't just keep the DVD.

Sounds like someone else got your movie, opened the envelop and watched it, and then returned it. In this day and age, you're lucky they didn't just keep the DVD.

well i think that was what had happened .. but who could it be since my mail box is locked and the only ones who have the keys are ups guys i think. since they come in their mini van and put the mail in. so who stole it i wonder:confused:

well i think that was what had happened .. but who could it be since my mail box is locked and the only ones who have the keys are ups guys i think. since they come in their mini van and put the mail in. so who stole it i wonder:confused:

I dunno about your mailbox. But we have mis-directed (read: Postal Carrier error) mail ALL THE TIME!

It could be purely innocent on the part of the person who returned it... if they had a Netflix acct. too.

I dunno about your mailbox. But we have mis-directed (read: Postal Carrier error) mail ALL THE TIME!

It could be purely innocent on the part of the person who returned it... if they had a Netflix acct. too.

i dont mind if he got to see a movie for free. but he or she shouldnt make it a habit...;)

Blockbuster is the better deal between the two. Prices are about the same and BB offers 1 free movie rental coupon per week for in store rentals. That alone covers the monthly fee, get about 12 movies a month plus the 4 freebies in store and that's a good deal.

The Netflix throttling issue is a reality and why I've cancelled again, funny how they never checked in the movie The Great Raid that I sent back over a week ago until I reported it not having been credited returned to my queue and then cancelled yesterday. Today I get an e-mail first thing in the morning that it was received in. lol Netflix plays games, when they quit playing games they'll gaint their reputation back.

• 1 month later...

Seems to me that gamesandflix.com infringes more on Netflix, since they copied their web design as well.

I use netflix starting about now through July / August. Basically, when TV is in all rerun mode, I go with netflix and I'm able to catch up on all the movies I didn't watch in the previous months. I've never had an issue with "throttling" and I go through 5-10 movies per week.