Anyone used the "Grab Bag" advertised on TV? (now with review!)

kranky

My wife's interested to know if anyone has used these and how they liked them. She has a bunch of reusable shopping bags but none of them can be closed or stand up in her SUV and she would like those features. Our driveway is on a slope and it's not uncommon for stuff to want to fly out as soon as she opens the tailgate.

Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.grabbag.com/

Update: we've used the bags three times. They are light and fold down pretty small when not in use . The material seems to be nylon. Handles are sturdy nylon webbing and reinforced with extra stitching. There is a thin cardboard bottom inside the bag that helps it stay upright. It does hold a lot of groceries. I'd say you could get 4 or 5 plastic grocery bags of stuff inside one (weight permitting). There is a flap that can be folded over the top and secured to the side with Velcro to seal it.

They are not machine washable but can be wiped down. I would avoid putting raw meat in one unless it was inside another bag as it would be kind of tough to give the inside a good scrub down, and you wouldn't want to get the cardboard bottom saturated.

They have plastic handles that hook over the sides of the shopping cart to hold the bag open in your cart if you want to, but I don't see the need unless you wanted to put two in your cart and keep stuff separated for some reason.

They do great at staying upright in back of the SUV when parked on a slope and that's the problem we wanted it to solve. We'll see how long they hold up.

I bought these a few years ago from five below.  It came with one green and one blue bag. 

I wasn't very impressed with the bags and I honesty don't use them as much as other reusable bags. 

The insulated bag does not close completly so I'm not sure how helpful that is. The closure on the bags are velcro and it's a small flap. The handles are short so you can only carry by hand. No shoulder option.  

Yes you can carry a few plastic bags worth of items in one bag but it gets bulky and again I have to carry by hand. 

For $5 it's worth it to try the bags. For $14.99? Don't waiste your money.

• Like 1

What's the reason - possible food contamination?

Pretty much, and they just get dirty after a while.  I have a set I bought that are machine washable and sturdy as heck (although they've shrunk while machine washing...) and I just like knowing I can run it through the machine now and then.

If I had a sewing machine, I'd make my own out of my own machine washable but sturdy material.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...