vacuum cleaner suggestions needed

tinkrbel

I know 3 people that have Sharks and really like them. I have had 3 Dysons and will never buy one again. A cheap piece of plastic will break and render the entire vacuum useless unless you buy a terribly overpriced part. The last time, about 2 cents worth of plastic broke off and I have to buy the entire motor part for $90. Then I bought the Hoover Windtunnel pet rewind and had so many problems that I will not be buying Hoover again. It started breaking the second time I used it.

I wound up with a Riccar Supralite premium and love it. It isn't for everyone. There are no attachments and the bags are kind of expensive, but it makes the carpet noticeably cleaner, the carpet feels fluffier and new, made in the US, and the bags are really well made and last a long time. It is also really light and I can use it on the stairs easily, and I am arthritic.  I pretty much broke the bank, but there are cheaper Riccar models that should clean the same. The entry model is under $300. I just stormed into a vacuum store dragging the Hoover and shouted, "Gimme something that doesn't break!!!". They have a portable canister vac with attachments that came free with the vacuum so I don't have to worry about the upright not having any attachments.

There's always Kirby if you don't mind the initial outlay. Those things appear to be built like tanks. I'll always remember being ticked off when my parents wouldn't lend me a dollar to buy my first car, but they had the gall to spend $1200 (back in '92) on a freaking vacuum cleaner. Well, that vacuum still runs like new more than 22 years later...

My first car...not so much...