Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

60hz/120hz difference

15 replies to this topic

#1 Deal Grabber  OFFLINE  

Deal Grabber

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 7:15 am

I understand these are refresh rates for a tv but is there a noticeable difference between 60/120 when watching tv or playing videos games? Having a heck of a time trying to please my son.lol

Ohhh another day another deal!!!

#2 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 7:24 am

here is a good article

http://www.pcmag.com...,2379206,00.asp

to break it down it says if your just watching it for TV or video then 60 is best, but for sports ie football or for video gaming 120 is ideal

#3 Monstermile  OFFLINE  

Monstermile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 7:29 am

Much depends on the screen size too. Shadowing will be much more noticeable on a bigger screen. And in all honesty many people do not even notice a difference between 60 and 120hz.

#4 Deal Grabber  OFFLINE  

Deal Grabber

• 1,841 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 7:36 am

yea i didnt think it would but i was trying to explain that too my son.In theroy hes right about the differences but i know most games wont even put out more than 60hz.he just always wants the best.lol ty for the input.

#5 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,573 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 7:52 am

The biggest difference you will notice is on anything fast moving on the screen, the larger the screen the more noticeable it becomes. Sports really show it and some people notice it on games also. I usually go for 120hz as it's just overall usually a higher end TV. Some of the newer ones are 240Hz with motion correction they are claiming up to 960 (I state claiming here :) )

#6 Deal Grabber  OFFLINE  

Deal Grabber

• 1,841 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 9:04 am

The only thing he really uses the tv for is his xbox.Now im getting him the xbox one and a 40in samsung tv, he only plays war games like cod and such.Hes trying to conveince me theres a hugh difference in 60hz/120hz.If there really is a noticeable diff id rather get the 120hz although its more expensive. I originally got him the 40in emerson WM had for $115 other day but now im being told that tv will be crap for gaming.Is what happenes when i take the cheap way out.lol

#7 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,573 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 9:13 am

Ya a lot of gamers really notice differences even some of the 120Hz TV's are better at gaming than others. You get a ghosting effect really bad on some of them.

#8 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 9:14 am

try the TV first, just because one person says its not good don't mean a thing, each person has their own experience for things.

ALWAYS try it yourself, or in this case have your son check it out the Emerson is 120hz so your son might like but you don't know until he tries it

#9 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 1:41 pm

I agree with Riven in that you should give it a shot.

If all he wants to do is gaming, the 60/120 Hz may be a moot point if the HDMI input lag is bad enough (the amount of time it takes for the TV to receive a signal from the device and then show it on the screen).

Generally speaking, the human eye works at roughly 60Hz.  It basically samples the world around us 60 times a second.  That's why when you watch the wheels spinning on a car and the wheels hit certain rotational velocities, they seem to stop spinning or even start spinning backward.  The speed of the action is fooling our brains into believing something that's not actually happening because our eyes just can't quite keep up.  So 60Hz TV's flash their images 60 times a second.  (There's all kind of digital magic that makes this possible since original formats may vary a great deal from this.)  The problem is that on some cheaper 60Hz screens, the screens don't "lose" that image fast enough, so that when the screen displays the next image 1/60th of a second later, the prior one hasn't finished going away.  This causes what people refer to as ghosting as we end up seeing the second image along with a slight remnant of the prior image together.  Screens that advertize the ability to display at 120Hz should be able to release that image a little faster, so the ghosting shouldn't be present.  This is what made Plasmas preferable (once they got past their own image retention issues) as they were able to release that image much faster since they operated at 600Hz....plus they had deeper blacks and wider viewing angles.

But when it comes to gaming, you're not just watching the screen, you're interacting with it.  The actions you take on a controller are sent to the xBox (or other gaming device), considered, acted upon, and the result is then sent to the screen.  In some cheaper screens, there's a delay between when the signal is sent to the HDMI port and when it's displayed on the screen.  This isn't something that people notice when just watching TV.  But this is hard information to get on many TVs.  This delay can be an issue regardless of whether the HDTV has a 60 or 120 Hz refresh rate.

Check this site for the TV's you're looking at and see if they've been tested.

http://www.displayla...splay-database/

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#10 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 2:09 pm

I found this looking for info on the 40" Emerson's lag...

http://www.product-r...60hz-not-120hz/

People are saying it's not actually a 120Hz screen...*shrug* 

There's truth in advertising for ya.

Not much evidence for or against lag unfortunately though.

#11 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 2:22 pm

I have this TV still sitting in the box in my room, I haven't opened it yet, but it is wrote right on the box 120hz not 60hz like they are trying to say

#12 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,573 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 3:13 pm

Ya I was looking at the Sony from one of them that went on Sale this weekend. BestBuy and Wal MArt were saying 120Hz, Amazon said 60Hz and in looking I found it to really be 60Hz and the box from what I read doesn't say one way or the other. Got to love it.

#13 Deal Grabber  OFFLINE  

Deal Grabber

• 1,841 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 24, 2014 - 5:46 pm

I think imma bust open the box and try it out myself before makin a decission to return and rebuy.Thxs for all the help e-1

#14 jabsther  OFFLINE  

jabsther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 25, 2014 - 4:28 am

Also pay attention because some are showing 120mci as the refresh, which is not 120Hz. It's 60Hz.

Also be aware, the other day I saw listed on Best Buy.com an LG tv that listed in it's title 120Hz. But the part number under manufacture web site listed it as 60Hz.

#15 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 25, 2014 - 10:41 am

Interesting.... 

If you look up the product on Emerson's website (http://www.emersonau...duct.php?id=666):

- at the top of page 36 of the (English) Owner's Manual, the "Picture Type" is defined as "1920 x 1080 pixels 60Hz"

- and the product id "666" which has got to be a bad sign.... :gdevil:

I think Emerson is playing with some misleading advertising here.

It's probably still an OK TV, but leading the customer to believe they're receiving functionality that they're not is never cool.

#16 Deal Grabber  OFFLINE  

Deal Grabber

• 1,841 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 25, 2014 - 11:23 am

Interesting.... 

If you look up the product on Emerson's website (http://www.emersonau...duct.php?id=666):

- at the top of page 36 of the (English) Owner's Manual, the "Picture Type" is defined as "1920 x 1080 pixels 60Hz"

- and the product id "666" which has got to be a bad sign.... :gdevil:

I think Emerson is playing with some misleading advertising here.

It's probably still an OK TV, but leading the customer to believe they're receiving functionality that they're not is never cool.

LOL i took it back today. gonna try for the insigna at BB if i miss that im just gonna get a samsung.

Ok now for another question, anyone know if there are turtle beaches i can buy that work on xbox 360 and the xbox one that plug into the controller.Son doesnt want wireless but wired are to short to reach where he wants to sit.

Edited by Deal Grabber, Nov 25, 2014 - 11:24 am.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users