Samsung Galaxy 5 at Best Buy on BF

mistyinca

OK, so this is gonna be a buck, and I want to get that. But, I have noticed in some ads, they are saying new 2 year agreement required, with some even specifically saying eligible upgrades aren't eligible for the BF deal. I checked with Best Buy, and the guy at the phone department said he believes that I will be able to buy it for an eligible upgrade (Verizon).

Here's my question. I have never bought a new cell phone from anyone buy Verizon. They aren't going to make me open the box and have their "helpful staff" activate it for me, are they? I want to give it sealed to my son, and frankly I don't believe any "helpful" folks can get that stuff right. I prefer to do it myself.

So...how does it work when you purchase from Best Buy? and can this be done as an online order?

Thanks,

You need to have it activated in the store. The process will not ruin the newness and you will leave the store knowing that the item works as advertised. I plan on getting this deal. If it is anything like last year you will be able to get deal early if you are an elite member.

I have a similar question / issue.  I expect to get one or two new phones for wife (and maybe daughter) for Christmas, which I want to have wrapped for them Christmas morning, but I do not want to deactivate the phones that they have now when I buy the phones (even if they are  the same numbers on the same Verizon account).  I hope that I can at least buy them and return on the day after Christmas to activate them (or maybe activate online Christmas day).

Edited by mcwalker

It will ruin the newness if I plan to wrap it and give it as a Christmas present. This won't work since it would deactivate the current phone.

That is the unfortunate part of a limited time offer. From past experience, you have to activate the phone since the contract starts on the day of purchase. Walmart sells those cheap phones where you can use them for a short time and then put them up as a backup if a smart phone breaks. You can always get sneaky and take the old phone into "maintenance", returning with the cheap phone as a loner until the phone is "repaired". In actuality,  you would take the sim card out of the newly activated phone and put it into the cheap phone until Christmas.

I have a family member that works at the geek squad and, according to him, the cell phone sale will start on Sunday. BB is trying to curb what happened last year when there was a 3+ hour wait with the cell phones. So keep an eye on the weekly flyer! I'm planning on swinging by on Sunday for the iPhone 6.

Yeah. I just bought mine for a $1 and ordered it online so in fact it does NOT have to be opened and activated on purchase.

Hey do you know how long the S5 will be a dollar? I just had to change my plan to be able to get the deal and it wont take effect until Thursday

Will I have to change my plan? I am grandfathered in on the unlimited data with AT&T. I really want to upgrade my phone but not sure i want to give up my plan

I am also grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. I just got the phone at best buy yesterday. No problems.

I am also grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. I just got the phone at best buy yesterday. No problems.

You won't ever lose your data plan just to upgrade your phone. We have upgraded at least 4 times with no problems at all. Just don't let anyone convince you to change the plan.