Beats - do you think they'll be offered?

delphernina

My son is determined that he needs Beats for Christmas. The very idea of paying more than a $100 for headphones is crazy to me - but I'm willing to make that his big ticket item if I can find a good deal on them. I see Kohl's has them on sale, and with the kohls cash incentive I guess they are worth getting, but I'm hoping for deals like last year for $114.

Any thoughts? Anyone else looking for this?

Already have the Solo 2 On Ear Beats @ Kohls BF ad.   $179.99; you'll also likely get a 15% off (maybe 20%), free shipping from Kohls.com (before Thanksgiving, even) and that'll either be at or close to $150 so you'll get $45 Kohl's Cash to spend in the weekish after BF; So essentially $110.

• Like 1

Already have the Solo 2 On Ear Beats @ Kohls BF ad.   $179.99; you'll also likely get a 15% off (maybe 20%), free shipping from Kohls.com (before Thanksgiving, even) and that'll either be at or close to $150 so you'll get $45 Kohl's Cash to spend in the weekish after BF; So essentially $110.

I'm pretty sure the Beats don't qualify for the 20% off. They are one of the excluded items, along with something else I'm looking for this season a fitbit. :( I hope I'm wrong....

I, too, am looking for Beats but not the Solo wired models.  I am looking for the wireless ones.  I do remember last year that Beats went on sale 50% right before Xmas at I think Best Buy.  The price was better than the BF price. Maybe something like that will happen this year, too?  

• Like 1

the wireless ones never go on sale more than 15% off - that I have ever seen - I've never seen the wireless ones go for less than $200 new.  If you have a teen .. might want to think twice about the wireless models because the band that folds them can crack easily.  I think they are a bit heavier than the regular Beats because of what makes them wireless.  If you do buy them, I'd suggest taking the extra warranty or using a card that extends the mfg warranty.  it's a known issue with this brand of Beats and no one can repair them.  And when you are spending over $200 might want to protect your investment.

I'm speaking from experience.  DDs broke 16 months after I bought them.  thank goodness for the purchase protection with my Discover card.  They replaced them for free.

Edited by AndreaInNC

Can someone tell me whats so great about these things and what they even do?

They are a heavy bass headphone accompanied by a genious marketing campaign. There are numerous headphones that produce a more accurate, better sound for less money, but don't have the street cred or look so they get passed over by the younger generation. 

• Like 1

DD23 got the wireless Beats two Christmas ago.  Those broke, so we got the money to replace them.  She actually found a pair of wireless Beats on Craigslist and had enough money to buy Monster headphones as well.  She uses the Monster ones now more than the Beats.

The Beats are for a certain type of music - like the PP said .. heavy bass .. 

They also work as noise cancelling headphones as well.

I was skeptical as well because they are so expensive.  But then I went into Best Buy and tried them all out.  I became a believer ...

But you are paying for the name, and now that they have been bought by Apple, they will be hard to find on sale in the future IMHO.

Edited by AndreaInNC

The Beats were originally designed and built by Monster.  Monster just bet the farm on getting big endorsements to sell them and got royally burned on the deal when Beats took the design and walked after Monster signed a ridiculously naive deal to get Dr. Dre's endorsement.  Beats are fine headphones if that's the sound you're looking for, but they probably have the largest marketing budget by a healthy margin of any headphone company out there.  Guess who pays for that?  You do.

Here's a good read and some good education on smart/stupid business deals depending on what side of the deal you're on.

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

If what you want is to have people look at you as you're wearing your headphones and either say, "Wow, cool headphones man!" or, "Wow, did that person overpay or what?", then the Beats are your ticket.

If you want the best bang for your buck, go audition some headphones by Sony or Sennheiser.  I like the Klipsch Image ONE personally.

(edit - Sony makes headphones from the $10 cheapies all the way up to the many hundreds of dollars studio reference ones.  Look for a set of MDR-V6's.)

Edited by Pnambic
  • Like 1

Just an FYI to the non savvy potential Beats purchasers (myself included), the Solos on sale in the ads from 80 to 100 appear to be last year's version. Apparently the latest/this years version is named Beats Solo 2.0. I don't care but my 12 year old, who wants them, does. I have no idea what the difference is but just want to let my fellow parents know. Edited by nisha98

I am not happy to see what you said about the wireless beats.  Now I am not sure what to get.  I think that 15 year olds care about the brand, but I did some reading on line and it does appear that the wireless beats can be a problem.  Especially with a sound delay  on iPhones.  And of course, one of the boys has an IPhone. So, maybe not wireless beats for their gift?

Does anyone have any suggestions for wireless headphones?  Brand and store would be helpful...

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up one pair of Beats at Amazon.com this morning for the youngest kid for $99. I could have waited and price matched at Walmart on Thanksgiving, but think it's probably worth having one in my hand. That way if I decide I don't want to go out shopping on Black Friday I don't have to.

Best Buy is selling them online right now as well.