Black Friday car buying?

CarpeDiem

Prices are better in december as dealers are getting rid of the very last of the prior years inventory...if there is any left still.  Black friday is an okay day to get a deal and still have some inventory to chose from, but it is last years normally.  I got my Sonata that was the first 2014 Turbo delivered to this area last year a little before black friday, so they were offering great deals by that time on the 2013's.  That's my 2 cents.

The biggest factor in getting a good deal is your negotiating skills. It's true that end-of-the-month time can have some dealers willing to loosen up some, but you have to do your homework. Most dealers are simply doing their job by trying to get as much as they think they can get from you.  That's why most of the time they want to know what monthly payment you are looking for. Then when they find a way to get you the car you want for that payment, they hope you'll forget that it's a 7 year loan (which of course they quote in months, not years, so it's not as scary).

If at all possible, know what car you want, use email to contact multiple dealers, play the dealers against each other, and don't go in until you have a deal.

We went looking today and of coarse the first thing he asked was what do we want monthly payment to be instead of telling me the price. Ummm that's a no go! Ticked me off. I hate cat shopping because the either A pull that crap or B get all sexist that car has nice mirror for your makeup and that color goes with your eyes. Yes both things I've had dealers say :(. I'm also going to be paying cash so that's a non issue. But even tonight one asked where we worked and what banks we use... Umm none of your business. It just gets old. We moved to a new state last year so I'm not around my preferred dealerships that don't act like I'm stupid because I'm a woman. I know what I like and want and I'm a car junky and usually know more than they do. I've had them ignore me and start talking to my dad when he went with me once and ignored every question I asked and kept talking to him. I walked away and told him he lost a sale and I had 35k in cash to spend. His mouth just dropped lol

I hate the payment question. I get why they do it - because you aren't going to do the math to figure out how much you're paying for the car. I always inform them that I'm not buying the car in monthly payments, I'm buying it for a price and paying that off in monthly payments, so let's talk about that price. Sometimes I wish car shopping worked like everything else - just walk into the store, pick out what you want and it's the price that it is and leave. 

As someone who sold cars for years I think you are being too hard on car dealers. They want to sell you a car and you want to buy a car. Let them help you.

That being said, many dealerships flood the floor with twice as many sales associates as they need so you will likely get someone who does not know what they are talking about. Last time I bought a car I had to go to several dealerships before I found a sales associate who knew more than I did about the cars. I was willing to let him make a little money off of me because it was worth it to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about.

Car margins are extremely small. They do not make much money off of you. You can find the invoice for the vehicle you are looking for online. Most of the time the mark-up is less than 5%. Furniture stores the mark up is about 300% and many people do not bat an eye.

The best advice I have is go in with information. Do your homework first. They will make you a good deal if you know what you want to pay.

Know how much you want to pay for the vehicle, how much your car is worth, and know what kind of interest rate your bank is willing to give you. Finally, they can make a lot of money off of you after you bought the car. Extended warranties, gap insurance, and everything else they sell you in the business office has huge mark ups. Talk to your insurance agent about the cost of gap (you really want to get this) and try to negotiate everything else you want down 50%. Negotiate your car down to invoice (except Lincoln, they generally cannot go that low on a Lincoln).

Finally, Black Friday is like any other day to car dealers. You will not get a better deal that day than you can get at the end of the month.