Official Line Camping Report Update Thread

jaymacfla

http://patch.com/california/banning-beaumont/campers-already-out-beaumont-awaiting-black-friday-deals-0

As indicated on the webcast this evening, there are already people lined up at Best Buy. This may be a record. I will also try to find out if this is the location that sent the last person packing in 2013, as many management companies have now set time limits.http://cdn.patch.com/users/1396761/2014/11/545d90fdcaec3.jpg

You can actually track down old news reports on these ladies. It used to be quite a thing to go camping the week prior to Black Friday. I remember when Brad featured the group in the Tampa-St. Petersburg area of Florida a few years back, but this has to be the earliest start time and actually shows an extreme amount of dedication. Notice how few supplies are laying around. The trick is that they trade out, and do this in shifts. To say that they are actually camping is a stretch of the imagination. They are merely holding spots. Where are the tents? Our group always has to field questions due to others in California who "Line hold" and do not sleep overnight like we do. The reporters always find it fascinating that we actually stay the entire time.

yes, the fact that they don't even know what they are camping out for is ridiculous...I agree with PP, it's all for the attention...so what happens when the ad comes out and they realize it's crap, and they don't need anything in it?  Not impressed by stupid people...

• Like 1

Don't people work?

Being a camper myself (actually having real camping equipment with me) I get asked that question for the few days we are out there. A few years ago, the question was raised in the Florida Times Union where the Question was "Three days in line for a $199 TV?" It really doesn't matter how long the people stay out there. the questions will always be the same.

I understand camping out for a few days, if that's your thing. I can't see it ever being my thing. If I'm camping out, there's not going to be concrete under my tent, and there better be a lake withing walking distance, LOL.  Because of that, I have to say my time is worth too much to me to spend 3 weeks in front of Best Buy.

I say, except for the occasional bathroom break, make them stay in line the whole time. That is what we do.

I got in line on a Monday one year (I always take my vacation that week whenever possible), then when the ad came out there was nothing we wanted so we broke camp. The people behind us were super upset since they came out days early because they thought we knew something they did not.

It will always make a good story, though.

• Like 8

I say, except for the occasional bathroom break, make them stay in line the whole time. That is what we do.

I got in line on a Monday one year (I always take my vacation that week whenever possible), then when the ad came out there was nothing we wanted so we broke camp. The people behind us were super upset since they came out days early because they thought we knew something they did not.

It will always make a good story, though.

Lol!!

Being a camper myself (actually having real camping equipment with me) I get asked that question for the few days we are out there. A few years ago, the question was raised in the Florida Times Union where the Question was "Three days in line for a $199 TV?" It really doesn't matter how long the people stay out there. the questions will always be the same.

A few days is perfectly fine but 22 days? Unless they're selling new cars for $100 then no way.

• Like 2

This is for nothing more than attention. It almost makes me wish that camping out were no longer allowed and people would get run off until an hour before store opening. It's kind of ridiculous. I wouldn't want people loitering around the entrance of my store for days. 

• Like 2

When people trade out, there is a problem from the purist's viewpoint. I will stay the majority of the time,(showers, you know) along with a few others. The only reason they can do this so far out is to trade out, which would make anyone mad because they are manipulating the system. If you have been able to trace the last 3-4 years in Fort Myers, then you would know that two other families were in competition with each other. This guy was there, and was #3 for the last two years running. It is a classic case of one-upmanship. You either have to yield and go to a less competitive spot, or arrive earlier each year.

IKEA in Miami did something pretty strict when the store opened this August. The line to get a free sofa started on Monday at 5 am I believe it was (the store opened that Wed), they wouldn't allow you to trade or leave your spot, only bathroom breaks, and you couldn't even sleep in your car. And there were security guys "scanning" the lines to see if someone had left, traded, etc. I wonder if these rules are a bit a strict or if they should be somewhat put into practice during Black Friday to try to be "fair"? What do you guys think?
  • Like 1

IKEA in Miami did something pretty strict when the store opened this August. The line to get a free sofa started on Monday at 5 am I believe it was (the store opened that Wed), they wouldn't allow you to trade or leave your spot, only bathroom breaks, and you couldn't even sleep in your car. And there were security guys "scanning" the lines to see if someone had left, traded, etc. I wonder if these rules are a bit a strict or if they should be somewhat put into practice during Black Friday to try to be "fair"? What do you guys think?

I misread that at first and wondered what the big deal was about a free soda...  definitely over the top for a carbonated beverage.  :)

• Like 2