Does anybody have Thanksgiving dinner on the weekend?

rockpzazz

For as long as I can remember I have had some sort of Thanksgiving dinner on the weekend following and not as much on actual Thanksgiving.  It started when I was a kid and while we would have our family dinner on that Thursday, we would go to my grandmas and have a big dinner on Sunday.  It went like that for many years.

A few years later as my sisters started to move out and my mom would have to work on Thanksgiving we would start having dinner on the weekend.

To me it works out better as my sisters would have their family dinners on Thanksgiving, and the whole family would get together on the weekend for a huge dinner.  It doesn't take anything away from the holiday itself as we still gather and are thankful for many things.  It is just easier for everyone to get together on the weekend.

I guess that's one reason why it doesn't bother me about sales occurring on Thanksgiving.  I worked almost every Thanksgiving (and Christmas for that matter) and still was able to have a family gathering.  A few decades ago a lot of stores weren't open on Sunday, now almost all are open, so I don't see this as any different.

I understand the argument that families should be able to spend time together, but I just don't see why they have to be on specific days that are observed by the government.  Anytime the whole family gets together should be considered a holiday.

So does anyone else celebrate holidays on weekends instead of the day itself?  We do it for almost all holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Independence Day, obviously Easter).

We go to my In-Laws on Thanksgiving, but have it with my mom's family the weekend before. As far as Christmas goes, we do the In-Laws the weekend before, and my parents just some random day. Christmas Day is for MY family, at MY house :) Other holidays we will celebrate at other times as well. With big families, sometimes it is the only way to get together.

• Like 1

I suggested moving ours to Saturday this year, but that didn't work out because someone had to work (Of course, we have someones that have to work on Thanksgiving Day also and we didn't change it for them, but that's a different rant...). Thanksgiving is usually with my aunt and cousins, and my own kids are never there anyway.  It would not bother me in the least to change the day we get together, I just love getting together.

Christmas is my more immediate family.  My mom, my sisters and I, and our kids.  Since our kids are getting older and 2 of them are married with families of their own, we decided to start doing Christmas dinner on the Saturday after Christmas.  That way the kids don't have to worry about getting from this dinner to that dinner, and what time is what, and having to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving early.  We will also always know that our Christmas is happening on that day, so don't plan anything else and schedule off work in plenty of time.  Of course, my sisters and I will probably still go to my mom's on Christmas Day, but our celebration will not be until Saturday.

I completely agree that the day doesn't matter. It's the family and why you're getting together in the first place.

• Like 2

oh goodness..

my ex mil decided to have it the weekend before thanksgiving..

my own mother was so upset and insisted she did it on purpose,j7ust to make her thanksgiving first so people(like my immediate fam.) would be sick of turkey before we went to hers/or someone elses on the actual thanksgiving..so therefor would not appreciate the actual thanksgiving.. ect... now dont get me wrong i love my family..but geesh!! the woman was just trying to make it so everyone would be able to attend both, as each of her kids had another families to try and fit in when both were the same day...

My in-laws to the whole huge Thanksgiving feast on Thursday. I don't mind because they have a much bigger extended family and it's really more of an event. Thanksgiving at my parents is literally eating turkey dinner with the same people we have dinner with at least once a week, so it's not as big of a deal. My mother usually does a Sunday brunch that week and that works out great for us. My BIL doesn't usually go to Thanksgiving, so we've taken to doing what we call Chinese Thanksgiving on that Saturday where we eat Chinese food with DH's immediate family. It's nice because we can visit with the extended family we don't see as much on the actual holiday but not miss catching up with the smaller family.

I do kinda feel bad for my parents because they're just alone on Thursday. We always invite them to my in-laws' house and I know my brother invites them to my SIL's family dinner but they always refuse.

If you want a Chinese Thanksgiving, that's at my parents house.  Traditional Thanksgiving elements with Chinese food also included - chow mein, fried shrimp, egg rolls... it's... a lot... of food...

We also have Friendsgiving, this year we're doing it the weekend before.  I am NOT turkey'ed out when I get to my parents! Not a problem! It's different groups of people, different experiences. It's about spending time with people, not force feeding people.

• Like 3

We always had our holidays the Saturday following at my grandparents. It was a way for everybody to get together and celebrate. The actual holiday was at home. We always had lots fun. It was very large gathering. Generally we have it when we can get together. It's more relaxed now. We go out to eat and go to my dads to talk.

We celebrate Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving with my family. Hubby's family doesn't celebrate. For Christmas though we celebrate on the Saturday before Christmas/Christmas Eve. We started doing this about 15 years ago as trying to get together on the holiday itself felt rushed. Its great because we have all day/evening to visit, play games, eat and relax. I really look forward to it every year.

we always celebrate it either a few days before or a few days after, i have no family that lives close so it's just me and my two girls, so it really doesn't matter what day we decide to celebrate. i always have to work on either the day before or on thanksgiving. so it just depends on when i get 2 days off in a row so i can cook. ahhh, the midnight shift at the hopsital, gotta love it!

Edited by gingersunshine

We always have it on Thursday at my parents house,but would we willing to change if needed. Most of mine are grown and married and cannot always make it to the gathering but for those out of town we will skype and for those who had to go to their other family we understand. I am thankful that all my married children have wonderful inlaws who love them. Even with those missing this year we will have at least 15 and possibly more. If every one came it would be more like 25.

My family usually gets together the Saturday before or after Thanksgiving. We get together all the time though so if something happens and we can't get together it is okay.

My husband's side of the family gets together Thanksgiving day usually around lunch. Once again, we see a good bit of each other all the time so if something were to happen and we couldn't get together it would be okay

We usually spend Thanksgiving with family and then I make a turkey on Saturday at our house for just us so that we have turkey leftovers.  I don't make as many sides as Thanksgiving.  This year a wrench has been thrown in the Thanksgiving plans and we have 2 places to be on Thanksgiving and 2 on Saturday so not sure what we are doing either day.