What's on your Thanksgivng menu?

shopping4my3son

I'm starting to think of planning a menu for Thanksgiving. I usually do the traditional things. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole etc...

I'd love a good recipe for dressing.

How do you make your turkey? We had a deep fried one once at my inlaws and my husband really liked it.

What about dessert? I prefer pecan and my husband prefers pumpkin. Usually end up with both. I saw a recipe for a caramel cranberry torte I thought I'd try.

• Like 1

I deep fried my turkey last year for the first time. It was sooo good. That's how I plan on doing it this year as well.

My menu so far: turkey, dressing, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, green beans, mashed potatoes, velveeta shells n cheese, cranberry sauce, rolls, cole slaw, gravy and maybe potato salad. Not sure on the potatoe salad though as that's too many potato dishes but we all want a differnt one.

Dessert so far: banana pudding, butterfinger cake(maybe). Not sure what else yet

• Like 1

We go to my husband's parents on Thanksgiving day. Menu will probably be roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, noodles, a vegetable of some sort and rolls. I'll make bourbon cranberry sauce, caramel pecan pie, chocolate pie, pecan pie cheesecake and pumpkin roll.

• Like 1

We are having the following:

Ham (Honey Glazed)

Turkey (Injected with spices and DEEP FRIED) Pretty much the only way I eat it anymore

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Stuffing

Sweet Potato Casserole

Green Bean Casserole

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Cheesecake

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

We have done fried turkey for probably 7-8 years now and it's the only way I go. I did fried last year and my MIL did roasted, guess which one was all gone lol :)

• Like 2

I'm traveling to my dad's this year and will be doing the cooking once there, as his SO will be spending time with her kids out of state & he has opted not to attend with her. (I offered to cook, since I enjoy doing it.)

Menu we've decided on thus far:

Roasted Turkey (I use a recipe I found on a CBS show's website several years back that always turns out moist and flavorful)

Sweet potato casserole (recipe from allrecipes.com here: http://bit.ly/1scOQ6I - warning - this is good enough to be dessert!)

Mashed potatoes

Gravy

Stuffing of some sort (he likes it, I don't, so any good recipes out there? I'm open to suggestion, but must be separate from turkey)

Corn

Green beans

Cranberry sauce

Bread (fresh from Great Harvest Bread Company)

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (I'll make ahead of time and bring from home) w/fresh whipped cream

Dad's going to put together a salad. We expect to be munching on the leftovers all weekend since it's just the two of us. Ha. :g_thumbri

• Like 1

My parents tend to make too much and they eat for a whole month, so I have taken over. I don't make too much food just enough to last for Thanksgiving weekend. I have gotten on the organic/natural kick because of my illness, so everything is organic, and made from scratch, not boxes. Though, sometimes I do find organic ready made at a good price so I grab it. Lol! We made oyster stuffing one year, it turned out really tasty. My mother used to make stuffing with chestnuts, but since she passed away I haven't had it since. I've been dying to try to make turkey/brining first. I'm really looking forward to real mash w/gravy made from the turkey drippings.  :2letseat:

• Like 1

If DH has his way it'll be Boston Market. While it's not worth it now for me to cook a whole turkey I may just do some cooking of some kind this year. But only if everyone will eat.

When my grandma was still around and well it would be turkey and ham, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, rice (don't know why), cranberry jelly, stuffing and whatever else she felt like making or buying. Sometimes I miss that.

• Like 1

I handle the cooking for my family; it's usually the 6 of us, my mom, and 1 of my brother-in-laws. We will be having:

Maple glazed ham

Party wings

Baked macaroni and cheese

Candied yams

Stuffing

Spanish style rice & beans (purchased from a local restaurant)

Rolls

Cranberry sauce

Banana pudding

Sweet potato pie

And last but not least: egg nog!!!

• Like 1

We have been going to a buffet for the past few years at a great French bistro in town.  They just posted the menu, and it looks amazing! 

Appetizer: 

Garlic Cheddar Grits w/ shrimp

sweet potato biscuits w/ ham and brandy butter

hot crab and artichoke dip w/ garlic crostini

Soup and salad:

tomato basil bisque

baby greens w/ gala apple, toasted walnut and roquefort vinagrette

baby arugula w/ feta, dried cranberries, toasted pecan, and blood orange vinaigrette

beaujolais poached pear salad w/ field greens, goat cheese, and lavendar honey vinaigrette

Carving station: 

oven roasted turkey

spiced bourbon glazed ham

Sides: 

Southern style cornbread dressing

sage, wild mushroom, and leek bread pudding

green beans w/ bacon and vidalia onions

mashed potatoes w/ turkey gravy

sweet potatoes w/ brown sugar butter and pecans

clementine-ginger glazed carrots, apples, and winter root vegetables

southern style corn pudding

braised winter greens w/ smoked ham

Dessert:

pumpkin pie w/ cinnamon whipped cream

chocolate pecan tart

red velvet cake

pumpkin spice cake w/ caramel cream cheese frosting

warm cranberry apple bread pudding

Can't wait!!!

• Like 2

After brining my turkey using Emeril's brine, I deep fried turkeys for years, ever since I scored my turkey frying rig at Walmart the first year I was on the forum.  Then I gave Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey a try, although I stuck with Emeril's brine, instead of using AB's.  Did that for several years, until I discovered dry brining.  Now, I still use AB's recipe for roasting, but I dry brine for 3.5 days first.

The other sure thing I'll make is my Slow Cooker Holiday Stuffing.  The rest is yet to be decided.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 2

Mom, me  and my daughter share in the cooking. We also divide up all the leftovers to those who come and eat.

Turkey, ham, green beans, succotash, collards, baked mac and cheese, mash potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, watergate salad, old family recipe for a fruit salad, rolls, candied yams, maybe potato salad (mom varies on this) coconut pie, chocolate pie, lemon pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and probably a few other desserts,

I think I am forgetting something????

I think we will have 17 people this year maybe a few more.

• Like 1

My mom does the cooking. It's mostly the traditional stuff, plus for whatever reason-she feels the need to make Jell-o. Yuck.

However, I am not sure how to approach this year because we've recently learned that ds13 has extensive food allergies. They span pretty much the entire food spectrum and are very hard to avoid….corn, wheat, soy, barley, oats, rice, and several nuts. This makes eating at our house very interesting.

• Like 1

Same as every year. (I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner!!)

Turkey

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Sweet carrots

Baked beans

Rolls

Cranberry sauce

Deviled eggs

Stuffing

Mac n cheese (for the kiddos)

Gravy

Apple pie

Pumpkin pie

I'm pretty sure I didn't forget anything :)

• Like 1

I brine our Turkey for 24 hours, then I inject it and let it rest overnight in the fridge.  On Thanksgiving morning I soak a cheesecloth in the leftover injection (Cajun Butter) and place it over the breast of the Turkey and put the Turkey in the Smoker.  I smoke it and it turns out FANTASTIC.  Moist and juicy and smokey and just wonderful.  We use a Cookshack Electric smoker so I can just put it in and let it go while I cook everything else.

I also make a ham.  Honey glazed.

Everything else is pretty standard fare - stuffing, green bean casserole, rolls, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, salad and dessert.  I don't like cranberry sauce so didn't do that last year - my dad complained - so I guess that is on the menu too for him.

Lasagna

Fried Turkeys (At least 2 different injections)

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy from last year's birds

Mushrooms

Sweet Potatoes

Corn

Stuffing

Meatballs

Ham

Salad

Crescent Rolls

Italian Bread

Soppressata, Prosciutto, Capocollo, Salami, etc

I know I am forgetting a few items.... There are so many deserts, I can't remember them all. 

Honey-Apple smoked turkey

Bourbon-Gingersnap ham

Stuffing

Sour cream and chive mashed potatoes

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Sweet potato casserole

Rolls

Stuffed celery

Cheeseball

Pea salad

And a random assortment of desserts... Pumpkin and pecan pies, fudge,cakes, cookies, cheesecake... whatever people feel like making.

Mmmm.. I can't wait!