Real or Fake tree?

hillbillyswife

i have three fake trees( two traditional green ones.. and a smaller pink one i got from a breast cancer awareness thing one year.. ...i put up 2 each year.(one of the green and the pink amways goes up, its slamm and uses small decorations ). but i am really thinking of a real one this year, as well as my smaller  pink one for my back area

Edited by stevierocks
  • Like 1

I've never had a real tree, so I wouldn't know how to take care of it, LOL.  I use a pre-lit tree that's easy to put up.  I love having the house decorated, but hate doing the decorating so the easier, the better.

• Like 1

Definatly real.I grew up in Oregon always had real never really heard of a fake tree until I moved to Ohio.Had a fake for quite awhile but hated it.I missed the smell.2 years ago I finally talked my husband into a real tree so,now it's a tradition to go cut down our tree the weekend after thanksgiving if it's not raining
  • Like 1

We have 3 artificial trees and we buy 1 real tree each year. This year since we're back in the north we are going to go cut one. The artificial ones we have are a HUGE 9' that goes where the high ceilings are lol it's kind of old now and most everyone who see's it thinks it's real. I got a really good deal on it the week before Christmas at Sears, was like a $650 tree I paid like $150 because of the time and the fact it was the last one they had and was a display model. The other two are a normal sized one that we gave away when we moved (will get replaced) that went in our loft before and this year will probably go in our basement and then a small pink one that goes in our daughters room with all her special ornaments on it.

As for real it's all in how fresh you can get them, I avoid the stores like Home Depot and Lowes and we try to get them from Vendors and we pay attention to when they came in. When we get them home I usually spray them down and keep them in a warmed area and put them in some water until it's dried out. Then once again just before we take it in the house I take a slice off the trunk and make sure the branches on the bottom are cleaned up for the perm stand. Keep it nicely watered and we have been adding some of the tree additives they sell in the stores (seems to help).

Regardless of real or artificial just make sure you get something you like and look at it from different angles.  :)

• Like 1

Living in NC .. where most of the trees are grown .. real here.

I did a fake tree last  year because we spent 2 weeks at Disney.  I was the only one home, DD22 was away at college and DD19 was working at Disney.  While it was nice and easy - it just wasn't the same.

• Like 2

I wish we could still do real, but my youngest has severe allergies and asthma, and an asthma attack the whole month of December due to a tree doesn't sound fun at all....the kids have learned to love our fake tree though, the big ones are a little bummed we don't get to go Christmas tree shopping every year because it was all a big whole day thing that was fun, but they like their little sister being able to breathe, so it is okay, I do still miss my real tree though :(

• Like 1

Real tree for us.  We have been buying our real trees from the same man for the past 10 years, I believe, except for one year when we couldn't afford to buy one and we borrowed a fake one.

We love the smell of a real tree and how it looks.  My daughter has a fake tree of her own though.  It is a small 4 foot tree with fiber optic lights.  IT also rotates.  She puts in her room.

Edited by starbeck96
  • Like 2

I have a fake tree but we usually buy real.  The fake is just as big of a pain to put up and fluff out as prepping a real tree.  And my fake is not prelit so that is not a consideration.  We like the frasier fur variety which run more expensive than pine - but the branches are nice and thick and will hold any decoration I put on it.  I love the way a real tree looks and smells.

As far as disposal - we just throw ours in the backyard.  The birds and squirrels love to use them for shelter and then by summer the tree is super dried out and my boys cut it up and we burn it in our fire pit.  It is kinda scary how fast that tree burns up - makes me remember to keep it watered during the holiday :)

• Like 1

My parents bought a fake tree the year I was born, they didn't want to have to deal with taking care of a tree while taking care of a young baby. We had that tree til I was sixteen. I've use artificial trees my whole life and I probably always will. They have become a lot easier to set up, and take down. Plus you don't have to buy a new one every year. I don't use a prelit tree cause I like to change my lights based on my theme that year, and I don't like the look of fiber optic.
  • Like 1