Pet Peeves of Black Friday shopping

jaymacfla

I no longer go out thanks to online deals. But when I did, my biggest pet peeve was line cutters. The last year I went out (I forget which store it was), the store used shopping carts to control the line. The line formed along the side of the store and the shopping carts were positioned in such a way that that it forced the line to be single file. Also, near the doors, the carts were lined up three wide. That totally prevented people from cutting in line or bum rushing the doors at opening. Brilliant thinking. Wish more stores were that prepared.

• Like 1

I no longer go out thanks to online deals. But when I did, my biggest pet peeve was line cutters. The last year I went out (I forget which store it was), the store used shopping carts to control the line. The line formed along the side of the store and the shopping carts were positioned in such a way that that it forced the line to be single file. Also, near the doors, the carts were lined up three wide. That totally prevented people from cutting in line or bum rushing the doors at opening. Brilliant thinking. Wish more stores were that prepared.

Doesn't Target do that?

My pet peeve would be when employees at Walmart tell you different places to line up. One says the TV line is here and you go there and another person says, Oh no, it's across the store and when you get across the store the line is so long you know you won't get the item.

The other thing is staying up half the night for sales at Walmart and then going back later that morning and seeing the stuff I got still available...But that's the fun of Black Friday shopping and I wouldn't take a chance that it's not going to be there.

Most of my pet peeves are much the same as others:

1. Babies and toddlers out. I saw a mother cradle a newborn in one arm and dive for sheets at walmart. It was brutal. I know some people have no choice, and it is tough. I am not passing judgement, only feeling bad for the situation.

2. Stupid people in general. Young adults jumping from shopping carts into cardboard displays of video games, people ramming you with shopping carts expecting you to move when you are locked in with everyone else!

3. Line cutters! Really? Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

I get frustrated when the sales go live just a few products at a time online.  It can definitely mess up plans for free shipping and delayed interest if some of your planned purchases aren't showing at sale prices while others are selling out.  Of course, that was a few years ago on a Toys R Us sale, and I haven't shopped them much for BF since.

My biggest I think just for the state of MA is the "looky loos"  who while you are taking a quick snooze to forget about the hypothermia who approach the line and wake you to say "what time does the store open? 1am  But the ad said 8? this is MA we have blue laws. How long have you been here?  since x.  Arent you cold?  Yes and now annoyed....... and then they drive away.... UGGHHH

Line cutters are definitely the worst.

People who try to grab an item right out of your hands.

People who take their kids out shopping. I'm lucky enough to have someone who can stay with the kids. I go shopping and my husband stays home. But it bugs me when people say they don't have a choice other than to take their kids out because they don't have any one to watch them or they have to take their newborn because they're nursing. You do have a choice. Don't go. Stay home and shop online or if a friend is going out see if they can pick up an item for you. The year that my daughter was a baby and still nursing I didn't go out. I stayed home and did my shopping online.

My number one is ordering something online thinking that you are getting a good BF deal only to have the order cancelled 3 days later due to a "pricing mistake".  Number 2 is my family insisting I host Thanksgiving dinner just so they can spend the night at my house and do their BF shopping. Number 3 is houseguests that wake you up at 1am asking you to go shopping with them after you just knocked yourself out preparing for and cleaning up a feast for 30 people, or worse, asking you to do their shopping for them because they are too tired to try to get that laptop that they should have been in line for hours ago.

I think that certain stores are just not conducive to children being there for the initial BF rush. The chaotic scenes at Walmart come to mind...

But other stores are just fine for kids.  I mean, go to Michael's or a sporting goods store like Dick's and your kid will be fine.  

I usually don't bring kids with me, but one year when I was pregnant I wanted a TV from Target.  My husband and son met me in the line and when the doors opened husband ran for the TV and the employees let me son get a cart early since he was a kid with a pregnant mom.  I was at checkout 30 seconds after doors opened.  They went home with the TV and I shopped for a little longer.  The next year, I skipped bringing the newborn.  I shopped, went home and nursed, then went back out.  Now that I am single, the boy (16) will watch his sister if I go out.  

Even though I don't take my kids, I keep a watch out for other peoples kids.  It is a crazy scene in the toy aisles and sometimes if kids are wandering around they just stop because something catches their eye.  I figure some of us have to act in a sane fashion on BF to keep the crazies in check!

• Like 1

I cringe every year when I see babies being pushed in strollers through the mobs. I have seen a stroller pushed over and people just kept going. It was horrible! It's just not worth the risk. I understand needing to make your money stretch, but taking them to a store where you know will have the crazies out is not the best place to be.
  • Like 1

I get frustrated when the sales go live just a few products at a time online.

so true.....Thanksgiving week last year I was a like a zombie. between trying to make lists of what I wanted from all the ads and keeping up with all the Amazon lightning deals and then different stores going online at different times from like tuesday night forward it was nuts. NM all the time I spent on Amazon at work, hopefully the bosses will understand this year seeing as to how they sit straight behind my cubicle now.

I cringe every year when I see babies being pushed in strollers through the mobs. I have seen a stroller pushed over and people just kept going. It was horrible! It's just not worth the risk. I understand needing to make your money stretch, but taking them to a store where you know will have the crazies out is not the best place to be.

They need to make it a criminal act, and then people would be forced to make better decisions about the one's they are supposed to protect. It clearly makes no sense, like leaving a child in a hot car while you shop yet it happens every year. If I were a state prosecutor, any child hurt in a stampede would constitute immediate culpability in the part of the parent/parents.

• Like 2

Out shopping with a group and someone want to go TRY ON on clothes to see if they fit before buying them .... UMMM NO ... there are still more door buster deals to be had!!!!! Yes this has happened to me before ... 

That is too funny! I can't imagine trying on clothes on BF.  I have never seen anyone do that or even considered doing it myself.  I would assume that if it doesn't fit, you just return it some other time.

• Like 1

As someone who used to take someone with me, one thing I gotta say is sometimes that "line cutter" is just rejoining their family/friends.

Well the line cutter really should wait in line like everyone else. if I am standing outside for 3+ hours it's not really fair for one person to hold a spot so all their friends and family can roll up right before opening. Put in your time in the line or yes people will not look upon your favorably when you jump in outta nowhere.

Well the line cutter really should wait in line like everyone else. if I am standing outside for 3+ hours it's not really fair for one person to hold a spot so all their friends and family can roll up right before opening. Put in your time in the line or yes people will not look upon your favorably when you jump in outta nowhere.

Ok I get what your saying one person holding the line for people who aren't even there. That's not right.

But my father only left the line we were in together, long enough to grab a snack (he's diabetic). I already had my ticket (yes ticket, one total because that was all I was getting at that store, he wasn't getting anything there), yes the tickets had already been passed out my father did not have one, and when the lady who worked at the store tried to hand him one he said no. When he came back from getting his snack, someone behind us started yelling about him being a line cutter, and trying to get us kicked out of line, and my ticket that I stood in line for that whole time taken from me. The people directly in front and behind us told the store clerk that, no that wasn't fair, I had only one ticket, and had been there the whole time (unlike the loudmouth). I still lost my guaranteed in store spot, and had to pay for my item and wait a month for it to get shipped to the store. All I'm saying is that's not right either. If the group is only getting one of the items that the line is for, why should it matter if someone else from their group shows up to keep them company, I'm still putting in my time in line.

• Like 1

Ok I get what your saying one person holding the line for people who aren't even there. That's not right.

But my father only left the line we were in together, long enough to grab a snack (he's diabetic). I already had my ticket (yes ticket, one total because that was all I was getting at that store, he wasn't getting anything there), yes the tickets had already been passed out my father did not have one, and when the lady who worked at the store tried to hand him one he said no. When he came back from getting his snack, someone behind us started yelling about him being a line cutter, and trying to get us kicked out of line, and my ticket that I stood in line for that whole time taken from me. The people directly in front and behind us told the store clerk that, no that wasn't fair, I had only one ticket, and had been there the whole time (unlike the loudmouth). I still lost my guaranteed in store spot, and had to pay for my item and wait a month for it to get shipped to the store. All I'm saying is that's not right either. If the group is only getting one of the items that the line is for, why should it matter if someone else from their group shows up to keep them company, I'm still putting in my time in line.

That's crazy! 1 person, obviously not a big deal. I have friends come hang with me in line or hold my spot so I can use the restroom then they go about their way all the time. People just get too worked up. If they feel the need to yell at an elderly man over a spot in line then they are obviously miserable people!

• Like 2