Pet Peeves of Black Friday shopping

jaymacfla

People who get into the checkout line and then let their friends and relatives cut into the checkout lines.  They will allow one person at a time past them as they wait for the rest of their posse.  Then you have multiple full carts of items cutting in front to get them out of the store.  I think they send one person to the checkout so they don't have to wait in line when they finally get their stuff.

• Like 1

My peeves are:

1. People ramming with the cart. One year I asked an older woman to please stop hitting me with her cart nicely 3 times, after she made rude noises and did it again I turned around and told her if she hit me with it one more time I was going to be not so nice about it. (Oddly enough she didn't do it again)

2. People who walk around aimlessly and don't pay attention to where they are walking, who they are blocking. It gets on my nerves something fierce.

3. People who are rude to the employees, I try to be super nice and ask how they are and how long they have to work, amazing what they will do for you when you treat them well. Has got me supposedly sold out DoorBusters before.

• Like 2

I hate how the line shrinks and everyone packs in so tight right before the stores open. Still, though, line breakers make that a necessity.

I also hate the people who are taking their times going through the main aisles on their phones or talking to someone else who is moving just as slow.

Finally I get irritated with the employees who just do not understand what is about to happen and get angry with you for positioning yourself in a place where you make sure you get the deal.

All in all, though, I have a blast. Especially since my son and I can enjoy it together now.

1. I do not think Black Friday is a place for young children. Saying that, I also really hate when people do bring their kids and do not dress their kids properly for the weather. But I am a person who will say something, I'm not rude, I just ask if they want a blanket or if we have a jacket in the car I will offer it. (We always have extra stuff in the car!)

2. Rude. People. Period. Whether they are other shoppers or employees I do not like rude people. And again I will say something. I try not to be rude and I try to defuse the situation with a joke or even just some compassion. If it is their first time they might just be shocked and overwhelmed. However if an employee continues to be rude I will tell a manager. If it's not an employee I try to take the high road and so far so good!

3. Line jumping. It is rude (see 2. above).

4. I do not like having to spend all my time standing in line for something and not being able to get other items I want in the store. For instance, last year, at my Walmart, I had to stand in line for over an hour for the XBox games and DVD's. Most of the other stuff I wanted was gone once I got there. That was a big bummer!

5. Carts. Carts just gum up the works. No one can get thru and it's like a nightmare traffic jam. Also I really hate getting hit by a cart! That just sucks! I carry a bag to put stuff in. Works much better.

6. Also last year I tried to buy something on Thanksgiving online and when I get to checkout the main item I wanted was "removed" from my cart. To me that is like being at the store and someone taking stuff right out of my cart, right in front of me. It's just crazy!

Edited by Bobbi0125

People with thier shopping carts is a pet peeve of mine. Many years ago I used a shopping cart my first time BF shopping. It was my first and only time using a cart during BF. I said then, that it would never happen again and it hasn't.

Another is children/teenagers. Young children shouldn't be out at that time of morning. It's also too dangerous for them. The teenagers..well most only go just to watch the action. I can't even tell you how many times I've heard them talking that thier only there to see people make idiots of themselves and that thier not there to purchase anything. I've seen them using thier phones to record people and they sit back and laugh about it. I mean, c'mon go home already.

Just wanted to add another..It's when they start ripping the plastic off the items a minute or 2 before it's time. You can hear this going on all across the store but still you've got that one employee who is definately going by the rules and refuses to cut the plastic until it's time. This always seems to happen at my spot too, having to wait that extra 30 seconds while the rest of the store is grabbing what they want. I don't mind waiting until it's time but I do mind having to wait while others do not.

Edited by jade2002

LOL- I Love this thread. I agree with EVERYTHING - Please let your children sleep if they are tired. DO NOT FORCE THEM TO STAND IN THOSE LINES FOR SOME TOWELS..... Please keep mints in your pocket. I know it is hard on the yard but a mint or 2 would be great..... Please do not cut the line or run the risk of being cut......Rude staff - I know you don't want to be there but you are so lets try and make the best of it........Door Buster did not arrive in store for the sale.... ETC    

• Like 2

I totally agree with everyone!  I live in WI and it's cold, VERY cold!  Seeing people come out of their cars in a tank top and shorts when it's literally 30 degrees' out and temp dropping just makes them looks stupid, not cool...but not a pet peeve more of a comical joke with the other people in line wearing snowpants :)  People who do bring kids, but mine is kids in strollers!  A stroller is no place for BF!  To me worse then a cart because you know they are going to stack stuff all over there underdressed kid! 

Also, those people who come out of there cars at 10 mins prior to the store opening and people are yelling "back of the line" and they say "I'm not walking all the way back there, I'll wait until the line comes....BUT, then try to jump the ropes and push there way through when the store staff are not watching...HATE that!  They sit in there nice warm car until 5 mins before opening and I've been standing outside for 2+hrs getting snowed on!  NOT cool!

Another thing that drives me nuts and I understand they have to make a long line, but we are usually in and out of our local Target....but they make us go around EACH isle of the food part to get to the check out.  They have staff posted at the end of each isle making sure you just don't go under to get to the line.  Everyone has to use the same single line anyway, so why such a push to go through all 26+ food isles?  Grr!  But, I guess I get my exercise in and try to grab some groceries on the way ;)

• Like 1

The teenagers..well most only go just to watch the action. I can't even tell you how many times I've heard them talking that thier only there to see people make idiots of themselves and that thier not there to purchase anything. I've seen them using thier phones to record people and they sit back and laugh about it. I mean, c'mon go home already.

Teenagers would be the most likely to get hurt since their brains are shut off until 21. Their propensity to use cellphones and tweet selfies, will give rise to the statement, "I never saw the rush coming Doctor".

• Like 2

Teenagers would be the most likely to get hurt since their brains are shut off until 21. Their propensity to use cellphones and tweet selfies, will give rise to the statement, "I never saw the rush coming Doctor".

If they are taking a selfie it could be freakin awesome seeing the pic tweeted of them JUST about to be bowled over by the horde of people unknowing coming up behind them.

• Like 5

My peeves:

Most are already listed. Line cutters, children under dressed, etc...

The worst - Carts!!           I too had used a cart my first time on BF years ago. Worst mistake of the night! Now, I have reusable bags & my brother to carry my items. Any big items, I buy                                              on-line Thanksgiving morning & have it shipped to me. 

Bring on BF!!!     :lolrun:

Edited by min0812
  • Like 1

The biggest thing that I'm getting tired of is all of the complaining about the Thanksgiving sales. I understand that people don't want to have to work on Thanksgiving, and I don't either, but my job requires me to so I do it. We are still able to have a nice family day together, it just may not be on Thanksgiving day itself. That doesn't really matter to me as long as we all get together at some point over the holiday weekend. When I decided to do the type of work that I do, I understood that it would require me to work holidays. It's just part of my responsibilities. 

That being said, I also understand that some people don't want to shop on Thanksgiving. That's ok too. But the shaming of people who DO decide to go out shopping on Thanksgiving really needs to stop. I'm so over all of the negativity. For a lot of us, this is a fun time of year and a tradition that people share with family or friends. I just hope it stays that way!

Edited by misstaken
  • Like 12

Children have no place being at Black Friday especially younger ones and infants. If you are in a state where it's freezing you do not bring your children out.

That is a day you are really not paying attention and moving fast. The rule of thumb always have your eyes on your child when your out, that one second can be it. Especially when you have crazy people in this world that would be the day they look to take a young child.

Then you have the ass parents that get mad when their child whines or cries they are tired well hello 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 hours I would think they would be TIRED, HUNGRY, and TIRED plus BORED.

The biggest thing that I'm getting tired of is all of the complaining about the Thanksgiving sales. I understand that people don't want to have to work on Thanksgiving, and I don't either, but my job requires me to so I do it. We are still able to have a nice family day together, it just may not be on Thanksgiving day itself. That doesn't really matter to me as long as we all get together at some point over the holiday weekend. When I decided to do the type of work that I do, I understood that it would require me to work holidays. It's just part of my responsibilities. 

That being said, I also understand that some people don't want to shop on Thanksgiving. That's ok too. But the shaming of people who DO decide to go out shopping on Thanksgiving really needs to stop. I'm so over all of the negativity. For a lot of us, this is a fun time of year and a tradition that people share with family or friends. I just hope it stays that wa

I agree...

I have a few pet peeves that REALLY annoy me.

1) People that cut the lines

2) People that bring babies to Black Friday. I understand older kids that in fact WANT to be there.. but a baby??? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING??? In NY it is often 30 degrees or less on Black Friday... use your brain, leave the babies home. If you honestly have no option, at least find ways to better protect the kids so they aren't being used as a battering ram as you run through the store that is extremely overcrowded.

3) People that arrive a few hours early when you've been there for days, and then give sob stories hoping you will let them skip the line or get the ticket for the item they want. You can just hear so many times how this one or that one died and they are trying to make them happy by buying them a new computer at Best Buy that is on sale and limited quantities.

4) Stores that don't have the sale item, even when you are one of the very first to get there.

5) People that feel the need to become overly aggressive and push anyone in their way just because it's Black Friday and they think it is acceptable... IT'S NOT!

My peeves:

Most are already listed. Line cutters, children under dressed, etc...

The worst - Carts!!           I too had used a cart my first time on BF years ago. Worst mistake of the night! Now, I have reusable bags & my brother to carry my items. Any big items, I buy                                              on-line Thanksgiving morning & have it shipped to me. 

Bring on BF!!!     :lolrun:

Only time I ever used a cart was the year I bought a BBQ grill in Walmart... Sometimes there is no option, but if you MUST get a cart, have 1 watch the cart and have the others run to gather the items and return them to the cart.. don't try pushing the cart through the store, lol

My number one pet peeve is people who bring their kids that are under dressed and who let them run wild. I live in Georgia so the weather isn't that cold compared to what some others experience but it is too cold for babies to be in a diaper. I don't get that upset seeing parents with kids as long as they are attentive to them. I have a 4 year old and 1 year old (turns 2 in December) so I know how it is to need those Black Friday deals but if at all possible leave those babies with a loved one.

Number two pet peeve is lurkers who just want to get in my way. Either get the item and move on or don't be there at all. Last year there were a bunch of these people at Walmart.

My last pet peeve are those who grab items just to carry them across the store and put down somewhere else. I have seen this happen every year and usually is a "prank" that teenagers do. They will literally stand in line for hot ticket items, walk around with the items, and take them somewhere else to hide them while having a good laugh.

That being said, I also understand that some people don't want to shop on Thanksgiving. That's ok too. But the shaming of people who DO decide to go out shopping on Thanksgiving really needs to stop. I'm so over all of the negativity. For a lot of us, this is a fun time of year and a tradition that people share with family or friends. I just hope it stays that way!

Most people will agree that Traditions are preferred over the change in store openings. Just because you choose to go out and partake of the sales that are offered does not make you any less sympathetic to those who feel the pain and wish things would go back to the way they were. I have been saying for years that Saturday is the new Thursday. We made the change years ago, but have opted to do dinners at Best Buy on special events, like when my Birthday falls on Thanksgiving. Sadly, even our group can no longer enjoy this option because of the change. What used to be a full last day is now just a fond memory, captured in pictures and a few newsreels. last year was the first year that the real hating of campers started. It was evident in numerous postings on other sites whose members are not as polite as those on Gottadeal. We also experienced extremely rude people who blamed us for the change, even though we have been lining up since 2004, and camping since 2006.

• Like 1

I totally agree! Haters need to GO AWAY! :)

Mine-where one person gets in line and all other 50 of their family members (I'm exaggerating) wait in the car till 5 minutes before opening and then they all climb out of their nice warm cars just in time for the store to open.  They should stand and freeze like everyone else or go to the end of the line!

Line cutters, or rather those who stand in the parking lot and openly mock the line "I'm about to beat you, and you, and you" and when the doors open they run right up and do. 

I still remember in early 2000s this woman clapping and mocking the line and laughing at us "Oh you look so tired, I'm well rested"

I was never more glad to learn about the tickets being handed out at Best Buy because that memory is one of my most annoying.

People who show up underdressed for the weather (with or children).

People who break in line (or let family members break).

Saying you'll go Black Friday shopping at X time, then when I show up, you don't want to go that early.....

and my biggest pet peeve....stores opening earlier and earlier.  :(

Edited by gdulaney

People who don't like crowds. Why go out on BF when you clearly can't handle a crowd of people. Stay home on BF unless you are prepared to be patient, stand in line, and wait in traffic because that is the essence of BF. You have to understand that before you ever step out on BF. 

• Like 1

My biggest pet peeve is when to people with carts heading in opposite directions stop to chat and block up the whole isle!  If you stop to shop that's ok, but take your chatting out of the store isle people!

This is probably my #1 shipping pet peeve EVER. There is really never a need to stop shopping carts side by said and block traffic.

This is probably my #1 shipping pet peeve EVER. There is really never a need to stop shopping carts side by said and block traffic.

That happened to me at Walmart yesterday. The workers  were stocking to the right and the left was blocked by two people with carts. I said that they were blocking the aisle and they copped an attitude. I responded that they were being rude(loudly), and you could here people in the distance giving the "here, here" of approval to the comment.