Do you and your spouse agree on gifts for your kids?

shopping4my3son

My husband and I were discussing what to get the kids (8 and 12) today. He thinks one game system (ps4) for them to share and hook up to the living room tv is what they should get.

I think they should each get a system (wii u & ps3), a small tv (under $100), and keep it in their room. (I don't want to share the living room tv. :sidesplit )

I don't think they'll share very well or like many of the same games. I can see tons of fighting and crying. I'm thinking all or nothing. I'm the one who shops, wraps, and plans so you can guess what'll happen. lol He does see my point since the younger 2 fight so much now but are still each others best friends. haha I think secretly he wants the ps4.

This is the one area I loved being a single parent.  The only person to decide was me.

As for your issue, you may want to check to see if they each like the same games.  So long as they like different games on the different platforms you should be good, but if they both like the same, you may lose your TV.  In which case, you get a new one for the bedroom :trampolin

• Like 1

I am the one that does the shopping since 90% of my Christmas shopping is done on BF and he hates BF shopping.  But, I usually discuss the options with him.  Since the boys are older now, he helps a lot more with them.  I usually do ask his opinion on most gifts though, unless it is an unadvertised something, or I am unable to get what we originally planned on.

We are getting all of my kids an xbox 360 w/Kinect (the Kinect is actually for my daughter more than the boys).  That is the only game system I was going to get, but I am now thinking about getting the Wii mini as well.  My daughter said that she'd rather have those than a tablet or computer. 

I do all the shopping, but my hubby comes up with THE BEST ideas.  Usually they are the crazy out there ideas...and I go right along with them!  Dirt bikes for everyone one year ideas....  They are only young once and we enjoy seeing their eyes light up with excitement on Christmas morning.

If it is a gift I am unsure of I will ask his opinion.  If he felt strongly against a gift I wouldn't get it... but like many of you, I do the majority of the shopping, and he is usually suprised when they open presents. 

Years ago when DH participated he was great about ideas for the kids and even bought them 1 gift for each child from him . They would open that gift on Christmas Eve. Now my sons with children are carrying on the tradition. 

My parents and I buy for DD11 and always discuss what to get her, but in the end my mom says whatever you want to do....

I don't usually ask him.  I just buy stuff and he complains when he has to help me wrap things, lol.  Usually that is the time he proposes just throwing everything out in the living room unwrapped since that is the way the presents will end up anyway. (I wait to put gifts out until Christmas eve).

Now this year we are starting to butt heads already because my 2 youngest have been asking for kittens.  Our cat is very, very old and pretty much never leaves our bedroom (she never liked the kids anyway since she came first).  The kids are really pushing for kitties of their own and I am inclined to head that direction this year.  My husband hates the idea because he doesn't like the cat boxes and trouble - however the kids will keep the cat boxes, food and water in their rooms since these will be their cats.  Everything will be contained in their bedrooms like we keep everything in our bedroom for our cat.  (our cats are only indoor cats).

I do know that for an issue like live animals, I need to at least have the discussion.  Although dh claims that our cat (old kitty) was acquired while he was out of town on business and he didn't agree - however, he was Mr. Snuggles with kitty right away.

• Like 1

I'm the one who does all the planning and shopping in our house, but I make sure my husband feels included by saying things like, "Check this out!! I got this for the boys today!" or "I'm planning on getting this video game, how cool does this look?" And then he feels like he's helping, but he's really not.  Lol!

• Like 1

Most of the time we agree although my husband tries every year to make the budget smaller and smaller and limit what I buy, then when Black Friday hits he gets into the Christmas spirit and wants to buy everything lol. Last week he told my daughter she couldn't have a laptop and iPhone for Christmas because we were only spending $250 per kid. Today he's looking up laptops and AT&T to see what deals they have and raised the budget to $500 each and says the iPhone won't come out of the budget since its a small monthly payment lol. I've learned to go with the flow because eventually he sees things my way!
  • Like 1

Hubby and I are pretty much on the same page these days. It wasn't always like that. My DH grew up with a wonderful single Mom that did her very best but was not able to give him very much under the tree. Because of this, DH thought when our kids were younger that they didn't need much under the tree. This has changed now a days. Now, he sometimes(lots of the the time)goes overboard on the kids and I have to wrangle him back in lol.