What's the difference between shopping online and in store?

rockpzazz

I know this could be linked to other threads, but I am asking a different type of question.  I've noticed a lot of people complain about earlier shopping hours, and thats fine, I have no problem with that.  However a lot of them say they refuse to go out and shop on Thanksgiving but in the same breath say they will shop online on Thanksgiving.

What is the difference?  I have shopped online, and in store before for items, and while both have their advantages and disadvantages, most people cite family tradition as a reason they won't go out on Thanksgiving.  I understand it takes time away from the family, but doesn't shopping online do the same thing?  It's not like its as fast as checking facebook or something, it takes a good deal of planning and timing to get the deals you want online (especially if you are waiting for Amazon deals).

I know it stinks for workers to have to work on a holiday, but I actually liked working holidays because I got time and a half pay, which allowed me a chance to get more deals (especially when I worked the overnight shift).  I know quite a few people who enjoyed getting paid extra.  It's not like nobody is working on the online side of things when you buy online.  People have to be working at those businesses that run online sales too, so its just as bad for them as it is for the people that have to work in a store.

So why is it so wrong to shop in store on Thanksgiving but its ok to shop online?

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion and you make some good points.

In general, I don't want to need to shop online during the day on Thanksgiving in order to get a good deal (or miss one if I am not online).  Generally speaking, I will not be shopping during the day on Thanksgiving either in stores or online, even if that means that I miss some deals that I might want.

As you point out, it depends a bit on how you shop online.  If you are sitting at a computer watching for lightning deals or researching for extended periods, then I agree that is little different from shopping in stores (except maybe that you could be doing it in the company of family in your home while you eat and drink).

What I will do is online shopping late Wednesday night and very early Thanksgiving morning, hopefully just checking to see if deals that I have already researched have become available at the BF price, then I can check out quickly and either get to bed or get back to enjoying Thanksgiving.

While I am not generally in favor of Blue Laws, my preference would be that 1) stores can't sell most merchandise on Thanksgiving Day (midnight to midnight), except some food and pharmacy type items, and that 2) US-based retailers can not lower online prices or offer online specials during the same period.  They could start a sale before midnight Wednesday night, but then the prices have to stay the same until midnight Thanksgiving.  Then it's a free for all again on Black Friday.

We should protect the Thanksgiving Holiday as a non-commercial holiday.  The three days after Thanksgiving provide ample time to shop to your heart's content and for retailers to make all the sales they would make anyway.

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 4

I have had some of the same thoughts.  If someone doesn't want to shop on Thanksgiving because of their own family traditions, I understand. But when their reasoning is that the employees of those stores shouldn't have to work on Thanksgiving, then you have to consider radio personnel, TV personnel, all the people that work at the ball field if you're watching the game, etc.  Unfortunately, some people have to work on Thanksgiving.

Personally, I will shop some online Thursday, depending when some of the online sales start.  I will just be doing it sitting in the room with my family :).   And when the Thursday evening sales start in the stores, depending on what's on our list, I'm sure we'll be there.

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion and you make some good points.

In general, I don't want to need to shop online during the day on Thanksgiving in order to get a good deal (or miss one if I am not online).  Generally speaking, I will not be shopping during the day on Thanksgiving either in stores or online, even if that means that I miss some deals that I might want.

As you point out, it depends a bit on how you shop online.  If you are sitting at a computer watching for lightning deals or researching for extended periods, then I agree that is little different from shopping in stores (except maybe that you could be doing it in the company of family in your home while you eat and drink).

What I will do is online shopping late Wednesday night and very early Thanksgiving morning, hopefully just checking to see if deals that I have already researched have become available at the BF price, then I can check out quickly and either get to bed or get back to enjoying Thanksgiving.

While I am not generally in favor of Blue Laws, my preference would be that 1) stores can't sell most merchandise on Thanksgiving Day (midnight to midnight), except some food and pharmacy type items, and that 2) US-based retailers can not lower online prices or offer online specials during the same period.  They could start a sale before midnight Wednesday night, but then the prices have to stay the same until midnight Thanksgiving.  Then it's a free for all again on Black Friday.

We should protect the Thanksgiving Holiday as a non-commercial holiday.  The three days after Thanksgiving provide ample time to shop to your heart's content and for retailers to make all the sales they would make anyway.

I think this would have been my reply as well. I will not miss spending time with my family for a deal i.e in line at a store but if I can grab it while laughing and enjoying there company than so be it. Will not sit there and stare it the screen all day , but buy it and for get it until it arrives that is. 

To me the difference is that I can do it at any time of the morning/afternoon/day/night and not have to leave my house and family for hours and hours. I can put something in a shopping cart on my smart phone and checkout in minutes if need be. I am still with my family still talking to them, still being present and so forth.

Now there are many people who like to work the holidays for many reasons some as stated above more pay, but there are also many places that force their workers to be there or will not allow any vacation time during this part of the year. To each their own on it and yes maybe I'm a hypocrite because I watch TV and football on those days. :)

• Like 2

Good topic, I kinda wondered about this as well.

I think this comment sums it up best. :)

Good question and I think it depends on how you shop on line.  For myself, I go on line do a quick check out and am done.  This allows me to spend the time with family and friends and not miss out on time with them as opposed to being in line at a store.  Employees are working at all hours and days regardless of holidays and my DS will be working at Disney that day.  It is only a matter of what shift he gets.

• Like 1

I don't think it would feel right only doing the on-line shopping.  I do make some purchases on Wednesday and Thursday On-line, but it would NOT feel right not to go out.

It's not just the in store only deals, its the tradition, spending time with my mom and friend, eating, talking, making memories, and the ever fun THRILL OF THE HUNT! :gd_opera::gdcar::gdsign1:

I love online shopping while I am camping out outside a store for something I have to have.  One thing about online versus in store, if you get your hands on it in the store and check out with it, you definitely have it.  As many of us know, however, an online order can always be cancelled by the company.  If it is something I can live without or think there is no chance I can be one of a select few that can get it in the store, or it is not worth camping at that store for item A when I am at another store for 6 items, then that is something I try to buy online over Black Friday.

• Like 2

I love online shopping while I am camping out outside a store for something I have to have.  One thing about online versus in store, if you get your hands on it in the store and check out with it, you definitely have it.  As many of us know, however, an online order can always be cancelled by the company.  If it is something I can live without or think there is no chance I can be one of a select few that can get it in the store, or it is not worth camping at that store for item A when I am at another store for 6 items, then that is something I try to buy online over Black Friday.

I have done this since 2009. The only time a big ticket item was better online was in 2010. It was a Plasma TV and was shipped in after ordering it online and it arrived on Black Friday, about an hour after I got home. It just also happened to be my birthday.

The only reason I shop online on Thanksgiving is because that's when the deals come live.  If they would wait until Friday I'd be so happy.  I don't camp out or go out on Thursday, though.  Sometimes my time is worth more than the savings, even if I'm just sleeping. :-)

There are several differences.

There's a major difference in time allotted to either one.  

Many of the BF ad prices actually drop late on Wednesday night so you're not missed quality family time then.  

To me the thursday issue more about the families of the workers that have to work because of it (like my wife) instead of me.

I've never been one to whine for people,that have to work on a holiday. I was a manager at a gas station and spent my sons first Christmas at work crying off and on but we all survived it. And sure it sucked but its a job and the extra cash was nice. Some people LIKE working holidays. My brother in law works at a prison and works double shifts on holidays because he gets like double time and a half or some craziness like that.

Anyways, I've always said unless you never go out for that last minute pie or item you forgot to cook on thanksgiving. Never run to the gas station cause you forgot batteries on Christmas. Never run out for extra ice, soda, beer, cigarettes, etc on Easter, Christmas, thanksgiving. Then you have no right to complain about those that shop on thanksgiving. It's like not voting then throwing a fit over the people that got elected.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

I would do all my shopping online if it were possible.  I like to use ebates.com to save even more money and it can be done in the comfort of my own home.  We often have friends over for the holiday and after dinner we all pull out laptops and shop and visit together.  We don't miss a beat visiting and all the conveniences of home and the turkey are nearby AND no stores have to stay open for us. Oh and no fights over things or getting run over by shopping buggies when people suddenly see what they were looking for.

Edited by kc4braves

I plan on doing most of my BF shopping online. I agree with what others have said, I don't plan on sitting in front of my computer all day either, but most items are available on Wednesday anyway. I shopped last year on Thanksgiving noght after cooking most of the day and cleaning up. I was utterly exhausted and frankly I wasn't even thinking clearly and didn't get a lot of shopping done. For me I need that down time between Thanksgiving and BF. So the items I really want I will get online, and if I miss out, I miss out.

In person shopping is fun with all the other people and the excitement of getting that good deal, but since the openings are on Thanksgiving, it seems to have lost some of the fun.  Also, the people are not as friendly and happy as they used to be at 4am if you can believe that.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. So long as i have wifi I'm good. I prefer the

Peace and relative coolness of my home plus using ebates, shop at home and ready access coupon codes to save more. It's a bonus to shop in my pjs, a day in advance, w/o worrying how I'm going to carry stuff or maneuvering around other ppl and their carts interspersed through stores. Some things are worth going out for but i find I'm less tolerable of people as the years go by. So long as they do jcpenney snowglobes I'll be out, but even walmart pjs aren't needed because i get better quality for same or cheaper through the year.

In person shopping is fun with all the other people and the excitement of getting that good deal, but since the openings are on Thanksgiving, it seems to have lost some of the fun.  Also, the people are not as friendly and happy as they used to be at 4am if you can believe that.

I believe it!

You'd get to talking with others and you'd realize, "WHAT the heck are we all doing out here at this time of night?!!"

:sidesplit

But it made you a member of "the club"....and then the stories to pass down to future generations. ("Grandma,what was it like standing out in the snowy dark,pre-dawn hours at Toys R Us for that life-sized Barbie doll?")

Edited by HansieDZ
  • Like 1

I have made the trek out to the store in the bygone years when we shopped at 5a.m. and I have done the newer Thanksgiving Day version....I think if you enjoy the going to the store and the madness and you do it with family who is it hurting because obviously the corporate world has decided...I still love the stores that wait until Friday though....my family and I have some great memories of former shopping adventures...I do admit that as the online shopping has become available Wednesday night, if I can order it then I do so I have fewer stops to make out in the crowd....Not sure how it will be for us this year, we are talking about just lingering over Thanksgiving dinner, taking in a movie and then maybe going to check out some sales afterwards because honestly, we are downsizing on the amount of gifts and we already have a lot of it bought...still will keep my eye out for anything extra that is a good deal either online or in store... happy bargain hunting to all  :yay:

The biggest different is the the Having it Now factor, meaning that No matter what the warehouse or store has online in the factory or whatever shipping mishaps could happen don't.   So if said store runs out of item x and you buy it in store, it doesn't matter.  You can't have a order cancelled due to stock, because you have it in your hands when you purchase it.  As far as online or in store during the day, perhaps think small town traveling to a larger town an hour away.  Think of something like that traveling all day say at least two hours versus shopping online.  Either way its shopping but one could disrupt a family gathering depends on how big and far away the relatives live that gather. 

• Like 1