With all the Data Breaches is it safer to use cash?

rockpzazz

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. I've been trying to decide if I want to chance it (my card was replaced 4 times this year due to the bank suspecting breaches), use cash, or pre-buy gift cards for the items I want to purchase. The only issue with the gift cards is what if the store doesn't have it and I need to get elsewhere? I'm not a fan of visa/AE gift cards because they charge fees.

The problem I've had with prepaid gift cards, and maybe you all can tell me what I've done wrong, is getting all of my money off of them.  It seems once the balance gets under $10 or so, the card declines.  I assume that's because the behind the scenes process automatically tries to get authorization for a higher amount.  I have thrown cards away before because I couldn't use those last few dollars.

The problem I've had with prepaid gift cards, and maybe you all can tell me what I've done wrong, is getting all of my money off of them.  It seems once the balance gets under $10 or so, the card declines.  I assume that's because the behind the scenes process automatically tries to get authorization for a higher amount.  I have thrown cards away before because I couldn't use those last few dollars.

Try telling them to punch in an exact amount, sometimes that'll work.

• Like 1

Please be careful using PayPal, though. There was a store that I bought something from and it came in damaged so I sent it back and bought it locally instead. The store did not refund my money, but rather issued me a store credit. After disputing the charge PayPal said a store credit was a valid form of refund and I still have the store credit to this day.

It is not always these odd little stores that do that, though. Even target will only issue you a store credit if you pay with PayPal. After the second time dealing with that I quit using PayPal unless I absolutely needed the security.

Please be careful using PayPal, though. There was a store that I bought something from and it came in damaged so I sent it back and bought it locally instead. The store did not refund my money, but rather issued me a store credit. After disputing the charge PayPal said a store credit was a valid form of refund and I still have the store credit to this day.

It is not always these odd little stores that do that, though. Even target will only issue you a store credit if you pay with PayPal. After the second time dealing with that I quit using PayPal unless I absolutely needed the security.

Most stores will issue a store credit or cash if purchased via PayPal. The beauty of PayPal is the store never gets your credit card info therefore they don't have a card to return it to you. Now having said that, if you return to a Target store they will issue a cash refund.

Same thing with ApplePay

I have been using Apple Pay for a week and I love it.

For BF I always carry cash and CC's.  

As long as you keep on top of your accounts you won't have a major issue.  Major banks and CC's have mobile apps, email and text alerts to non-Kosher movement on your accounts,

Most stores will issue a store credit or cash if purchased via PayPal. The beauty of PayPal is the store never gets your credit card info therefore they don't have a card to return it to you. Now having said that, if you return to a Target store they will issue a cash refund.

As far as whether or not to shop at stores that have already been breached, I feel like there is no reason they should be avoided. Breaches could happen anywhere, and like someone had previously stated those stores are probably working hard to secure their systems to keep it from happening again.

I'm one of those that doesn't have any credit cards and I refuse to carry a big amount of cash on such a huge shopping day, plus I'll probably do most of my shopping online so I'll just have to use my debit card and pray for the best!

I will use my card.  Me, my spouse and my son all got our cards frauded last year at Target and Walmart.   But I shop on line so I really don't expect to have problems.  The bank said our numbers were stolen in one of those random card blank scams so they never had our cards in the first place.

GREAT - just got this email from Home Depot:

Dear Valued Customer,

The Home Depot has discovered that a file containing your email address may have been taken during the payment card breach we announced in September. The file contained email addresses, but it did not contain passwords, payment card information, or other sensitive personal information. We apologize for this incident and for the inconvenience and frustration this may cause you.

In all likelihood this event will not impact you, but we recommend that you be on the alert for phony emails requesting personal or sensitive information. If you have any questions or would like additional information on how to protect yourself from email scams, please visit our website or call 1-800-HOMEDEPOT.

Again, we apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this incident may have caused. Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

The Home Depot

I use a credit card with great cash back bonus points ect. But when I get home I pay the bill off right away. That way I get the bonus's but I also have no debt as well as if I would have paid cash. I do take some cash for small purchases or for one of our 3 meals out! (Yes, I am a 20hr straight shopper....) which requires breakfast lunch dinner and a couple snack shops!