Older kids

nicole20

I have a ds who is gOing to be twelve soon. He's in a stage that it is hard to find things to buy for Him and he hasn't really asked for anything. I'm struggling with ideas for Christmas for Him this year. Had anyone else ever ran into this issue. Any suggestions?
  • Like 1

My daughter will be 14 soon.  I agree that it gets a bit harder as they outgrow simple toys, and tend to have more specific (and often more costly) likes.  Sorry, can't offer you any specific advice, though I think that it never hurts to ask them to suggest multiple things they are interested in and if you ask now, some time will pass between the discussion

I have a ds who is gOing to be twelve soon. He's in a stage that it is hard to find things to buy for Him and he hasn't really asked for anything. I'm struggling with ideas for Christmas for Him this year. Had anyone else ever ran into this issue. Any suggestions?

Kindle, video games and system, books, ipod or similar, clothes, gift card to do something, 3-D puzzles, legos.

I could have posted the same thing! My ds will be 12 in 2 weeks and he can't come up with any ideas for a birthday present let alone a Christmas list. lol I'm hoping once the catalogs start arriving he'll think of something.

My DD is 11 and even though she has given me list I still don't know what I am going to get her. She has asked for a nicer camera. I am hoping for a great one in an ad, at a price I can afford. she has also asked for the prismacolor double tip markers from Michaels. They are expensive and I don't know how long the markers would last. 

I think I got one of my boys a weight set and a chin up bar when they were 12 and another one at 12 got a guitar.

DD's not getting anything and knows it because I enrolled her in taekwondo, not to mention I'm going to have to shell out some major money for equipment next month. I have no idea for DS yet.

My suggestion is if an older kid has a place they like to frequent (such as a water park, zoo, etc.) or a sports team they like to watch and season or annual passes are available to get one.

We went with a new camera and laptop (since hers is about it break).

She's only 10.5 so we were able to find a few "toys" she will play with (pet shop). I imagine next yr there will be no toy request at all.

A wallet with gift cards to various places- theater, restaurant, etc.

An iPod with iTunes. Or an updated phone? Cologne. Cash is always good for them but I hate giving cash as a Christmas present.

• Like 1

We've done horseback riding lessons for our dd and engineering camp for our ds. We also did a trip two years ago instead of individual gifts. We haven't had any toy requests in several years now so we're getting more creative. This year, for dd who is now 16, it will be dj equipment since she is taking a class at school and loves it and for ds, who is 13, it will be expensive inking and drawing supplies to help out with his portfolio for high school. 

I think sometimes it's not about quantity but quality for older kids. They appreciate when you notice something that means a lot to them and would really like to get a gift related to that interest if possible.

Edited by misstaken
  • Like 3

I also have a 12 yr. old except she's a girl, lol. She wants new stuff for her room. She's mentioned a new desk/chair so we will probably go with a new makeover for her bedroom. She also wants new phone cases. Can't go wrong with clothes, perfume, makeup, jewelry(she has asked for an origami owl necklace and charms), itunes gift cards. She doesn't really do anything but stay on her phone CONSTANTLY!!

They are so much harder to buy for as they get older. I miss buying toys. My nephew's first Christmas is this year so we will get to buy toys for him for quite some time. Buying toys for little boys is not as much fun as buying toys for girls, lol.

• Like 1

Some ideas:

Hoodies

Warm fleece lounge pants & Slipper socks

Box of his favorite snacks/gum

PopCorn Tin (if he likes them)

DVDs

Portable DVD player if he does not have a tv and dvd player in his room.

Several $5 gift cards to fast food places (think McDonalds, burger king, dunkin donuts, etc)

If he has a favorite sports team then anything with that team logo on it (5 Below is a great place to find stuff like that)

Nerf guns (make sure you pick up a second one for yourself)

My son is 13. We discovered Loot Crate. (Monthly package delivery of theme related items). Price isn't too bad. He loves it. Make sure you research it first and see if it is something worth your money though........

OMG never heard of this... and looked into it due to your post... either DH or DS will end up with lootcrate!!!  I am sure they thank you.

• Like 1

My son is 13. We discovered Loot Crate. (Monthly package delivery of theme related items). Price isn't too bad. He loves it. Make sure you research it first and see if it is something worth your money though........

I had to look this up too.  My DD 21 and DS 19 would both love this... I have huge gamers in my house.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest will be 11 in January. I also have a 7 year old and a (soon to be) 2 year old. Those two are infinitely easier to shop for than their older sister. Thankfully there's still a few toys on her list (Thank you, Monster High, for appealing to older girls) so that helps, but last year she still ended up getting a lot of clothes and books to fill in the gaps.  

I thought I posted on this the other day..but maybe not. Anyways..

My ds13 has askec for a headset and controller for his video game system, a north face fleece, $ on his gaming account, a football jersey, Nike shoes & stuff for his air soft guns (bb's goggles targets & etc).

I will probably add a couple pairs of jeans and t-shirts, cologne, gift card to McDonalds and maybe surprise him with the Nike elite socks he's been eyeing ;)

Graze.com has interesting snacks that arrive monthly - pretty good price too.

Redbox has gift certificates

Pizza place gift cards also a good option

Does he like to read? Books and/or book store gift cards are good

Does he like outdoor stuff? Around that age, DS always liked to get quality camping gear. A nice cold weather sleeping bag, internal frame backpack, Camelbak hydration system, and other camp gadgets made good gifts...

I remember when our youngest son was 3 and at Christmas he didn't even want to open anything after he seen a plastic toy Lion in his stocking! He carried it around the rest of the day. The video of it is hysterical! rofl Those were the days :) Now I'm pretty much going crazy trying to come up with ideas!

• Like 2

I have two sons, 11 and 12.  The 12 year old is asking for a laptop (a lot of his school assignments are online), World of Warcraft PC game and membership, Skylanders Trap Team, a new jacket, and XBOX points cards and itunes gift cards.  The 11 year old is asking for an ipad mini and a case for that, Super Smash Bros for his 3DS, Lego Batman 3 for XBOX, pajama pants, some books, and XBOX points cards and itunes gift cards.