Have you ever or Would you ever Camp Out for Black Friday Deals?

magickallight

i would for the experience. i have driven back and forth every hour or so seeing when a line started.to see when we actually had to get in it. . my brother and nephew actually got a tent (bought a tent  heater his second year)and camp out..  and we live in connecticut..so its certainly cold. lately there has not been a deal  for me  to camp out for.

I haven't camped out, but have stood in lines early in the morning (the days before Walmart was open all night). I have a story we still laugh about. One year Lowe's had some DeWalt drills on sale. My husband went and they were already sold out. So the next year he saw the same ones in the ad. So he convinced our older son to camp out with him. They left about midnight and set up their tent. They went and checked the line several times during the night, but people didn't start showing up till about an hour before the store opened. They even had store employees come out and take a picture of their tent set up in front of the door! BTW, they DID end up getting the drills they wanted.

• Like 1

I have in the past, with my mother.  The earliest was early afternoon on Thanksgiving Day for 5 am opening.  And that was my last camp out.  Now, I'm older and value my time more and though still very frugal, willing to spend a little more to avoid Black Friday shopping in stores.  Plus the deals just aren't what they used to be now that BF has gotten so popular. 

No and no.  I've never really seen a deal worth camping out for. I've gotten some good deals without the need to camp out. And camping out has kind of gone away with most stores opening on Thanksgiving now.

Those who camp will always camp, no matter which day that the event falls on. There seems to be a misconception that leads people to believe that with the earlier start times, the need for camping goes away. If anything, we have seen just the opposite.

I have in the past, with my mother.  The earliest was early afternoon on Thanksgiving Day for 5 am opening.  And that was my last camp out.  Now, I'm older and value my time more and though still very frugal, willing to spend a little more to avoid Black Friday shopping in stores.  Plus the deals just aren't what they used to be now that BF has gotten so popular. 

Did you bring a tent? Did you sleep over? I would also argue that many of the deals have only gotten better. It is only the perception based upon old memories of good times that has people thinking that the old days were markedly better. We have all of the data from the past 10 years at our fingertips, yet few bother to check the old ads.

Did you bring a tent? Did you sleep over? I would also argue that many of the deals have only gotten better. It is only the perception based upon old memories of good times that has people thinking that the old days were markedly better. We have all of the data from the past 10 years at our fingertips, yet few bother to check the old ads.

I don't think its perception at all.  The quality laptops that are now on sale as doorbusters aren't nearly as good as the prior doorbuster laptops in terms of specs (put into the proper perspective).  Also, when you factor in how long you now have to camp to score the better doorbusters, it just isn't worth it to me anymore from an opportunity cost perspective.

Anyway, no tent needed.  Just chairs and blankets.  Never had to be out there longer than 12 hours.  Now though, if I were camping out, I'd definitely bring a tent.  It's also colder than it was back in the day.