Have you ever or Would you ever Camp Out for Black Friday Deals?

magickallight

Yes I have camped out and will do it again if the deal is good. I mostly did it for Thanksgiving day deals so that I would not miss Thanksgiving Dinner, but right after dinner I would head out to a store and get in line until they open at like 4 or 5 in the morning, but now with the stores opening earlier there is really no reason to camp out. 

I'll admit there was a time in my life when I would've considered it but never did. I have been guilty of being in line very early and shopping through the night before when stores open on thanksgiving or at midnight. However, at this point in my life my time is just too valuable to spend camping out for days on end. Nothing is that good of a deal to me. I will however continue to get there early and shop at all hours :)

No I have never camped out and never would.  We always have Thanksgiving dinner with my husband's family.  We used to eat Thanksgiving evening, back when BF was actually BF.  Now we eat around noon so that those who want to go BF shopping can.

I do get to Walmart at least 3 hours early though.  :)

I do remember sitting outside waiting outside one year, against the wall at Walmart.  I can't remember if it was BF or if it was for a gaming system.  I think my friend and I sat there for like 5 hours..

Edited by starbeck96

Never camped out but stood in line for a few hours. I have lost sleep waiting for deals to go "live" online. Not really camping out when I'm in my pj's clicking refresh and drinking hot chocolate. haha

I like that idea! Staying in my pj's, clicking refresh, and drinking hot chocolate. Lol :-D

I have not ever camped out, I need my sleep too much, but I have stood in line like maybe an hour or two. Actually one year, the first year Toys R Us opened at midnight on Black Friday, I had to stand in line for 2 and a half hours...to check out. It was miserable!

Never camped out but stood in line for a few hours. I have lost sleep waiting for deals to go "live" online. Not really camping out when I'm in my pj's clicking refresh and drinking hot chocolate. haha

If we're counting this as camping out, then I'm surely a camper. :)

I camped out once and will never do it again. There were 2 items in the store and guess who was number 3. It was a miserable experience that at this point in my life is just not worth the cost savings. At the time I did it because we were very low income and the ONE thing my son wanted was out of my budget but it went on sale for BF.

It was pretty much the only time I didn't get something I felt I "had" to have at Black Friday.

I camped out once and will never do it again. There were 2 items in the store and guess who was number 3. It was a miserable experience that at this point in my life is just not worth the cost savings. At the time I did it because we were very low income and the ONE thing my son wanted was out of my budget but it went on sale for BF.

It was pretty much the only time I didn't get something I felt I "had" to have at Black Friday.

If you had camped with us, your son would have gotten that item! Many times the store magically does a recount and 7 becomes 3, 10 becomes 6, etc. When this happens, whether intended or not, it hurts the corporate image and customer trust is hard to earn these days.

We did it every year for a while... The kids would brag to their friends to watch for them on television because they just expected it to happen. One of the news anchors gave me his personal cell phone number so he could be the first to cover it every year because he knew we would be the first.

The first year I was quite unprepared and that was a very cold 12 hours. After that we had tents and heaters and the last year even had a generator.

In recent years, though, the deals have been somewhat lacking and Wal-Mart lets you wait inside, so it has been unnecessary. I thought about getting some sponsors and doing it for old times sake... maybe getting out on Sunday or Monday, but can't really justify it any more.

Camping out IS Black Friday. I have done it for many many years and it has become a family trip at this point. Years ago it wasn't as much fun going alone, but my daughter and son have now joined me in getting on line a few days early. I have never forced them, and I didn't take them until they were older, and the first few years their main job when we got into the store has been to go right to the checkout line and wait. If you are going to bring kids, make sure they are old enough to make their own choice, and you have a plan to keep them safe from the crowds. It has become a fun time and the kids love it. Probably this year or next my youngest will be joining the team, if I can find an adult to stay with him when we get into the store.

• Like 1

This year will be special because my son is back home, and some of the original vacationers are flying in from Indiana to join the fun. We are also going to welcome our newest Vacationer, Greyson, due November 12. Our group has grown over the years and it would have never been as special, if we hadn't bought that first tent back in 2006. One year, my wife's niece was flying in and upon circling the airport the pilot came over the intercom and said, "Look at all of those tents down there People!" My wife's niece could hardly contain herself and shouted out, "That's my Aunt and Uncle, and I am going to join them in the line tonight!"

Edited by jaymacfla
  • Like 1