Have you ever or Would you ever Camp Out for Black Friday Deals?

magickallight

I've been guilty of leaving around 3am to stand in line for super hot Black Friday deals - but have never camped out to get them.

Have you ever or Would you ever Camp Out for Black Friday Deals? If you have - what deals motivated you to do it? If you haven't - WOULD you and if so - what kind of deals would you be willing to camp out for?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608001248685460234&pid=15.1&P=0

Yes I have camped out at kmart and it was freezing cold me and my sister and they still ran out of what I wanted

Kmart is notorious for not having items advertised...idk but i think they just sell what's in stock and don't get more in for BF...

Edited by tracy0504
  • Like 1

I think 12 hours counts as camping out... ;) your legs must have been KILLING YOU! Did your wind up getting the TV?

Yes I got my tv they only had a few so I was lucky.if I remember right it was under $300 and it's still working great.knock on wood.

It wasn't that cold out so I just brought a blanket and sat on the ground.it wasn't too bad

I sat out at Target for 3 hours one year for a 50" flat screen for $299. They handed out about 25 tickets for it and I got one. It was the first time I took my step daughter and aunt with me. They had a blast and are now BF shoppers. 

Yes I have camped out at kmart and it was freezing cold me and my sister and they still ran out of what I wanted

Some of the worst stories have come out of Kmart and Sears. I have been courted by Sears to camp but luckily decided not to. The multiple entrances were not monitored and those who waited in the correct line found their items gone, since you had to race to the upstairs electronics department.

Camping is not for everyone. The worst part is the lack of preparedness from chair sitters who have been in past years kicked off the property for their own good. If your plan is to sit in a chair for 8 to 10 days, you may as well recalculate your strategy. In the old days, one could conceivably sit for up to 24 hours without many problems. I have seen young college kids do this and it was not always the wisest thing to do. Beyond a 24 hour period, you begin to realize that the elements play a major factor and must be dealt with. You will also have competition from others who are willing to go the distance with you, even if it means an entire week. A large part of camping success is friends and family who come to take part in the experience. The rest is prior proper planning and supplies to make it a safe and enjoyable experience.

no and no....I will never give up my family time or Thanksgiving for any deal. I host a huge dinner and usually have everyone gone and kids in bed by 8pm and thats when I start venturing out now. In the good old days (lol) I was ale to sleep until 3 or at least midnight...

I have waited in line 2-3 hours and still got much of what I was looking for even among some of the hot doorbusters, but have never camped out and I am sure I never will.  I think that the justification for camping out is diminishing due to the nature of the deals now and the similarity of deals available online.

I think that the justification for camping out is diminishing due to the nature of the deals now and the similarity of deals available online.

Online shopping has been slowly catching up since 2010, when I found a better deal online for my Birthday TV (on Black Friday) and skipped the Best Buy offering that year. With that being said, the online experience is still not what it should be, and can be a button mashing, frustrating experience for some, and cancellations still abound for others. I have always contended that the online services will benefit those who would never camp or stand in line anyway. Think of it like a football game. Many stay at home, and few tailgate, but the numbers remain pretty constant no matter what the offerings are at either venue.

no and no....I will never give up my family time or Thanksgiving for any deal. I host a huge dinner and usually have everyone gone and kids in bed by 8pm and thats when I start venturing out now. In the good old days (lol) I was ale to sleep until 3 or at least midnight...

I host a huge dinner....on Saturday. My family thanksgiving is not lost, but evolved to a Saturday feast, celebrating all of the Birthdays (3 of us in November) and the stories of Back Fridays past as well as the present. The data is proving us right. Saturday is the new Thursday, and more people actually prefer the safer, earlier hours to the old "Stay up all night, then drive home drowsy" experience of old. I applaud anyone whjo still holds to their traditions, but in the electronic age, weekends are becoming the convenient alternative for friends and family to meet.

Kmart is notorious for not having items advertised...

so true. We went in one year for a cheap mp3/video player and had to wait for the manager because it never came in. They sold me a better brand same size for the price but it wasted time.

I have not camped out and would not be against it but would need a 24hr store or port a poddy like BimJim does or I'd never make it past the 1st 3 hours.

Edited by tinkrbel

Wasnt on BF but i did for 17 hrs the year the wii came out.It was freezing too.I brought aheater and blankets with me.Sleeping on the concrete wasnt fun bt was worth it to me Christmas morning when my kids opened it. It finally broke last year too so we bought a used one. But i also agree with  MCWALKER, most things can be bought online and since my kids r older toys arent needed and i wont give up family time for these early openings.

While I've gone to the extreme like some veterans here have I've done 24 hours at Best Buy during previous Black Fridays. I can say having done that I agree with all the comments here. If you plan to camp out for longer than 24 hours you better start doing some serious planning. I know that unless you're in Florida, California or one of the other warm states you'll definitely need to plan for the elements. I can even personally testify to that one. Last year I had a change of clothes (including extra socks) with me just in case anything might happened. Well late into the night (or would it be early in the morning) I had been in the cold for a long while as was and my hands and feet were definitely starting to get really cold. So I threw on that extra pair of socks and that helped me make it through the rest of the wait.