Might not even go out and order online

2000SE

Last year it was up in the air if I was going out as there was not much "in store only" that I needed; I decided around 9 to head to Target. Got there after opening and was in and out with the things that I went for (fleece pajama bottoms and baby doll set). There was only 1 item that I did not get. I then headed to Walmart just because and ended up with a few dvd's. After that I was back home and only went out in the morning for Bath & Body Works and pointsiettas from Home Depot. This year I'm hoping that I will need more as I love being out and about in the madness but if not I'll be fine shopping from the comfort of my bed :gdflower3:

I am the online person for the family - they shop the stores and I do the online and many times they call me when the stores are sold out and I am still able to get what they want on the internet and they get me what I can't order on the internet (like small doorbusters) and it works out great for us... plus, I get to stay in my PJs with my nice hot coffee. ;)

I have been shopping online for like the last 5 years for all my Xmas gifts and like many other posted here , I only go into store for small items and fight the crowds. Without fight the crowds some how I feel not really Black Friday. ( yep strange ). On a side note, I haven't really shop in a mall for like close to 6 years. Just easier to compare prices online. 

• Like 1

I have increasingly been ordering key items online, but still like to go out for the "thrill" and get lesser items.  I expect that trend to continue this year.  Also, I will be on a long distance trip to Texas this year, will not be doing any shopping (online or in person) during the day or evening Thanksgiving, and do not expect to get out until around midnight, no mater when stores open, so it will be nice to have things shipped to home and to do some online shopping late Wednesday night.

I prefer online shopping. I scour Amazon and store sites and look for the best deals. UPS and FedEx are here so much normally an extra trip by them is not going to hurt anyone. Besides I think I am getting to old for the cold and the crowds so I am looking forward to shopping online and waiting for the packages to arrive..

To me there is nothing like getting out there for Black Friday and PHYSICALLY shop. I do shop online through out the holiday season for things, but on Black Friday I am in line camped out ready for the doors to open --  butttttttttt with the times moving earlier and earlier to Thursday afternoon deals this has really killed it for me. So I will be doing a good bit of ordering online this year because I am not going to sacrifice time with me family for a deal.

• Like 3

I prefer online shopping. I scour Amazon and store sites and look for the best deals. UPS and FedEx are here so much normally an extra trip by them is not going to hurt anyone. Besides I think I am getting to old for the cold and the crowds so I am looking forward to shopping online and waiting for the packages to arrive..

Amazon Lightning Deals and Prime = Best Friends Forever.

• Like 5

I find no "thrill" in dealing with huge unruly crowds, long waits in line, standing in the cold, etc.  I'm happy to order online and not leave the house.  Last year I still went out, but it was only to the 'lesser' stores, like Home Depot, which had a great deal on a pre-lit Christmas tree.  We got there ~30 minutes before opening, were first in line, and got served coffee and donuts by the store manager.  More people showed up later, but it was still a very small crowd, and no one went crazy when the door opened.  It was a great experience.  I haven't done Best Buy, Walmart, or the other local stores which attract the mobs for years, and I don't really miss it either. 

• Like 1

I think it's better when you have more than one of a type of store in the general area. Like BestBuy we had a few around us the last few years and would go to one of the more out of the way ones and the crowds were MUCH better. I will still be doing a little online and in store though :) just happy the time is approaching.

I love that I can get most of the important stuff Thanksgiving Day online... but I get anxiety come Black Friday that I am missing something !  I cant imagine never going out since I would miss the crazies and the things I didn't even think that I wanted! lol 

• Like 1

I find no "thrill" in dealing with huge unruly crowds, long waits in line, standing in the cold, etc.  I'm happy to order online and not leave the house. 

I completely agree yet I find myself out there anyhow. I did most of my shopping online last year but still wound up at Walmart Thanksgiving night for the sheet sets and some other stuff and Target/BestBuy On Friday for some Blurays. Walmart was relatively quiet compared to previous years but I think the opening time had a lot to do with that. My usual store doesn't do the 6am starts but was open for the earlier Thanksgiving day sales last year so we were pretty much by ourselves and with our hands on the sheet sets we wanted til maybe 20 min before sale when a couple other ppl came to join us.

The Walmart website barely functions correctly on normal days, Thanksgiving and BF it is just completely useless. Amazon Prime would more than pay for itself assuming "I" was paying for it:P They do a great job at price matching most places and as of last year no taxes.

This year they may have changed it seems to depend on what you buy so may or may not make much a difference this year other than knowing it WILL be delivered and order honored once placed.

For all the members that do most of their shopping online for Black Friday, do you actually get what you are after?  I have read from some people including a member on this forum that sometimes when the hot items are sold out in the stores, they are actually still available online. From your experience, how true is this?  Is it just getting lucky, or is it something that happens every year with the majority of the highly sought after items?  Reason I am asking is because I am thinking of doing the online shopping thing this year myself.  But, if I still have to battle everyone online by being super fast on the keyboard, I would rather just battle them in person. :gdlol:

• Like 1

I couldn’t believe how much stuff I got online last year and shipped directly to my house or site-to-store pickup…., I went to Walmart but only for nostalgic reasons.

Has anyone stopped going out completely?

I'm not sure I go out at all and I'm pretty sure I'll never stop going out completely.  Online and B&M have so blurred that it's tough to characterize a purchase as one or the other.  If I go into Staples and order something at the kiosk is that B&M or online?  I almost always place my Wal-mart and Home Depot orders online these days.  Is it still an online purchase if I pick the merchandise up at the store an hour later?

Black Friday, as a shopping season, is even more blurry as merchants push their promotions to early November.  I've gotten some BFish deals over this summer.

I still go to the stores and I like to go to the stores on BF.  I don't wait in lines and often do not buy anything at all.  It's just fun to be out there.

This year may be about new smart phones.  This is something I will likely decide by the end of October (AT&T double data promo).  

For me, this is the part of BF I enjoy the most -- chatting about nothing, reliving historic campaigns, anticipating this years deals.  It's 99% social.  I check in around Labor Day, hang out until Christmas, then go away.  I write a haiku, debate 1080p, and (sometimes) win a t-shirt.  It's a lot of fun.

When I was a kid, there was a season to Christmas.  We went back to school in September with our new clothes and lunch boxes, the days got short and the leaves began to fall, Saturday morning cartoons began to fill with commercials for toys, the Wish Book came in the mail, the decorations came out, the adults got really sneaky, then Santa came.  As an adult, Christmas is just shopping to get done before December 25th.  I enjoy BF because it re-creates that season of anticipation.

This year, we will go to my in-laws for thanksgiving dinner.  I'll drive past the early lines on my way home.  When I get home, I'll visit the forums one more time and take one more look at my list.  Then I will set my alarm and go to bed.  At some point, I will venture forth on BF to grab a bargain and survey the damage.  Then I will retreat to my nest and see how everyone else did.

• Like 3

OMG, This!  This says it all, doesn't it?

When I was a kid, there was a season to Christmas.  We went back to school in September with our new clothes and lunch boxes, the days got short and the leaves began to fall, Saturday morning cartoons began to fill with commercials for toys, the Wish Book came in the mail, the decorations came out, the adults got really sneaky, then Santa came.  As an adult, Christmas is just shopping to get done before December 25th.  I enjoy BF because it re-creates that season of anticipation.

• Like 1

I have to agree the magic of the season is something that often get's overlooked. Even when I was little I loved the holiday season not just because of the gifts but because of everything else it brought. My wife and I still are this way, we get excited when they holiday coffees start to come out, we love the shopping for the sheer fun and tradition of it more than just the deals we get. I refuse to let stores get me down I speak with the only way I can and I don't hit the stores on thanksgiving I still wait for BF they way it should be to me. Yes I do go online but that won't change that I will still be out there. Just this year I will be freezing my butt off like BF and Christmas should be :)

• Like 2

Sorry, can't figure out replying to specific post either.

I order most Christmas gifts online and go out on Black Friday for tradition reasons (crowd watching, hot chocolate, music, store decor, etc.)

Hey I finally got it! Anyway DITTO, I order a lot of stuff online and then go out for tradition reasons.

Edited by mgreen
  • Like 1

Last year, I did all of my shopping online.  I never went out, because most of the deals I wanted started on Thursday and I refuse to miss Thanksgiving with my family to get in line 2 hours before the store opened.  It was super easy to just log on to my computer for 10 minutes and then I was back socializing with my family.

So I will most likely be shopping online again this year, unless some amazing in store only deal is found.