Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

Ok, DS wants the Xbox one but does not know about the kinect part.  He is in his 20's and it does not seem like he would use it much.  What is your opinion on the Kinect piece?

Ds16 has the Kinect with his xbox one but it has yet to even be hooked up. He also has it with his 360 and has never used it much. It seems to be more interesting to the younger kids.

You know you are a good parent when your 7 year old child is asking "how many days until Black Friday?" :)

I am also hoping to catch Skylander's Trap Team on sale on Black Friday... preferably the Dark Edition. We bought Swap Force on the release date and I was kicking myself on Black Friday when it was 1/2 off.

I have been buying the store exclusive characters to make sure I get them, but have yet to buy the game.

Buy the way... if you really hate someone buy their young kid a Skylander starter pack. The older ones are not that much and it will end up costing their parents hundreds to thousands of dollars. My mother in law did that to us and we are now in for several thousand dollars.

• Like 1

DS7 just added Skylanders Trap Team to his list; hoping I can get it for $40 or less. I got swap force for $37 last year.

I'm also going back and forth between a 3ds or 2ds for DD4. The games she likes don't use the 3D aspect that much but she plays the older 2's systems so she can work it. Just read that Walmart will have the 2ds for $79 next week I believe...

Bought out ps4 today at hhgregg.they told me will price match it upto 90 days

Beware, many stores offer price matching guarantees, but many of these stores expressly exclude Black Friday promotional prices.

I remember being told this by managers at Target and BestBuy when I went to do the same thing.

Circuit City DID price match for me, but look where that got them...

You should check the details of their price matching promotion with a store manager.

If the cost difference doesn't matter to you I would get the 3ds instead of the regular DS that way in case they find a 3ds game they really want they can play it while still playing all their favorite 2ds games all on the same device.

• Like 1

If the cost difference doesn't matter to you I would get the 3ds instead of the regular DS that way in case they find a 3ds game they really want they can play it while still playing all their favorite 2ds games all on the same device.

The 2ds plays 3ds games the issue is she's too young for the 3d setting. Even now when she plays her siblings the 3d is turned off. So I would be spending $ for a setting that I wouldn't allow her to use probably for another 3 or so years. I expect that she will have moved to another system by then.

• Like 1

You know you are a good parent when your 7 year old child is asking "how many days until Black Friday?" :)

I am also hoping to catch Skylander's Trap Team on sale on Black Friday... preferably the Dark Edition. We bought Swap Force on the release date and I was kicking myself on Black Friday when it was 1/2 off.

I have been buying the store exclusive characters to make sure I get them, but have yet to buy the game.

Buy the way... if you really hate someone buy their young kid a Skylander starter pack. The older ones are not that much and it will end up costing their parents hundreds to thousands of dollars. My mother in law did that to us and we are now in for several thousand dollars.

My son loves collecting the figures.  Even though once he beats the game, he doesn't play it again.  Right now walmart has a starter bundle that has several figures and a couple of the traps and the portal and game for $100.

I have a question for the gamers on here.  Normally I would ask my older son but I don't want to give away what I am thinking as far as my Christmas presents ideas for his brother.

My middle son has asked for an xbox one - Call of Duty Advanced Warfare edition.  He is telling me he wants it because of the 1TB hard drive - is the $100+ price tag for this version worth it?  What I mean is, will the 500GB hard drive on the regular xbox one be sufficient or would he really need the 1TB?  He does play games pretty much all the time.  Anytime he is home - he is playing games.

I am pretty sure he likes how cool the system looks but $100 is a lot for me to put out for a "cooler" looking system.

Is he playing the games from a disc or does he purchase and download them from xbox live?   I would think if he's buying the physical discs and playing then you don't need the bigger HD

He does both.  He usually gets the discs though - since they come as Christmas and Birthday presents usually.  He does download stuff because he has to ask me before he does but I think it is mostly add on's to games like map packs.  

But I do know he is constantly complaining about the hard drive space on his 360, however, that is significantly smaller at 20GB.  He is always having to delete stuff.  I have bought him a flash drive too but I still hear complaining.

Nikkilugi.....I think the 500 gb is more than enough. I play games and so does my son, we have the basic xboxs and some flash drives and have no problems. Trust me, he plays as much as yours, lol. A tb is a HUGE amount of space and not needed. Thats just my opinion, I hope it helps.
  • Like 2

Well to be honest with some of the newer games coming out and the ability to load to drives that 1TB drive might come in mighty handy. In the C.O.D. version is the game included where in the normal version it's not? If so thats a $60 game bringing down the cost of the system. When we replace we will be doing the larger drive simply do the things that may be added to the console moving forward.

• Like 1

One more question - Basically the same as Dylansmommy except regarding the price drop on the Xbox One.  Do you think that price will stay at the lower point through Christmas?  ($349/$449)?  Or should I buy it now.

I have limited hiding spots and nosey kids and prefer to wait a little closer to the event to purchase the BIG gifts - and this will be my son's Christmas and Birthday gift and a really big surprise because he is "sure" nobody will buy it for him since it is so expensive.  (I am nobody, lol).

It's hard to say, some think the Xbox One price may end up permanent. My guess is it goes away and then you MAY see some last minute deals and then after the new year it comes back permanent for kids to spend the money they got for Christmas on.

If you can hide it get the one you want, if you can't hide it now you could possibly do Lay-A-Way from one of the places that have it at least that gives you less time it has to be hidden.

• Like 1

So after all your wonderful help on here giving me info on the xbox and ps3, it now appears that we're going in a different direction. Kids!! lol.  My son just isn't into those kind of games yet, I guess.  He says he plays them at his friends' houses just because that's what they have there.  He still likes Mario and all the Nintendo guys and prefers his 3DS and still likes his Wii.  So hey, I'm not complaining.  The littler one is still going to get his own 2DS for Christmas so he stops stealing his brother's and slamming it shut when he gets frustrated, but I'm going to channel all my video game energy now into getting the list of games from DS10 and Skylanders traps and figures, and some DS and 3DS games for the little guy so that he doesn't have to share all of his brother's games.  I have a quite a list here.  But I wanted to thank you guys for all the help and advice! 

How about the 2 for $30 games at TRU right now?  Good deal or wait for cheaper?  And I plan on hitting Target next week for the B2G1 sale for the newer titles. 

Skylanders Trap Team, I want to get the Dark Edition.  Should I just buy now?  Do the special editions go on sale?

Thanks! 

One more question - Basically the same as Dylansmommy except regarding the price drop on the Xbox One.  Do you think that price will stay at the lower point through Christmas?  ($349/$449)?  Or should I buy it now.

I have limited hiding spots and nosey kids and prefer to wait a little closer to the event to purchase the BIG gifts - and this will be my son's Christmas and Birthday gift and a really big surprise because he is "sure" nobody will buy it for him since it is so expensive.  (I am nobody, lol).

My parents solved that by hiding gifts at the neighbor's house.  He was a grumpy old guy so I avoided him at all costs as a kid.  Dang my parents were smart...

My uncle has 4 kids and he used to rent a small storage unit Nov and Dec.  I think he told me that a lot of places run specials this time of year for exactly this where it was $1 for the first month and $30 for the second?  Something like that anyway...

• Like 1

My parents solved that by hiding gifts at the neighbor's house.  He was a grumpy old guy so I avoided him at all costs as a kid.  Dang my parents were smart...

My uncle has 4 kids and he used to rent a small storage unit Nov and Dec.  I think he told me that a lot of places run specials this time of year for exactly this where it was $1 for the first month and $30 for the second?  Something like that anyway...

Personally, I keep everything at my office for as long as I can.

I have a question for the gamers on here.  Normally I would ask my older son but I don't want to give away what I am thinking as far as my Christmas presents ideas for his brother.

My middle son has asked for an xbox one - Call of Duty Advanced Warfare edition.  He is telling me he wants it because of the 1TB hard drive - is the $100+ price tag for this version worth it?  What I mean is, will the 500GB hard drive on the regular xbox one be sufficient or would he really need the 1TB?  He does play games pretty much all the time.  Anytime he is home - he is playing games.

I am pretty sure he likes how cool the system looks but $100 is a lot for me to put out for a "cooler" looking system.

Nowadays, it doesn't really matter if the game is a downloaded game or not.  The new consoles require you to "load" games on to the hard drive, even if it's a disc.  Even so, 500gb should be good enough to start with.  I have a PS4 with 500gb and it's been more than enough for the year I've owned it.  Yes, eventually I'll have to delete something or whatever, but it's not that big of a deal.  If I were to spend this money on myself, I would (and this is assuming all the prices remain exactly the same as they are now), buy the Assassin's Creed Xbox One bundle for $350 which includes two games, and then buy COD: AW separately, so technically he's getting 3 games for less than the Call of Duty bundle.  I'm not sure how it works with the xbox one, but the ps4's hdd's can be swapped easily.  Assuming it's the same for the xbox one, he could swap it later on.  

Or, if you splurge on the COD bundle, make it his only gift lol. 

• Like 1

As I mentioned before, I am planning on getting my kids an Xbox 360.  My daughter will use it mostly for stuff like Kids Dance, Kinect Sports, etc. (I am hoping for a good deal on the Kinect as well).  My boys will use it mostly for Sports games.  They may get one Call of Duty game.  It looks like it is going to be a slim Christmas, so I am trying to use what I will have to get as much as possible.  Do you think the 4GB will be enough for those type games?  I believe that the 4 GB is usually cheaper.

Edited by starbeck96