Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I love my iPad mini I got last  year at Walmart for $199 that came with a $100 gift card.   The gift card was activated right away and turned around and bought my $99 TV with it :)

What size memory did that come with? 8G, 16G, 32G ???

Words to live by concerning tablets:

While there do exist some nice, high-end tablets like the one Len mentions above, that are easily paired with keyboards/mice and have usb ports to attach optical drives and other peripherals, you can pretty much count on the $50 Black Friday Door Buster NOT having ANY of these features. 

- Cheap tablets are generally GREAT at consuming content.  They can browse the Internet, stream videos from YouTube/Netflix/etc, check and send short emails and play fun little game apps.  They're far more portable than laptops, let alone desktops.  A touch screen interface generally works OK for these uses.  That is their strength and what they're good at.

- Cheap tablets are NOT particularly good at creating content.  It you have to write a term paper, your cheap tablet is the last place you want to have do it.  If you want to watch a DVD/BluRay, nope.  If you want to do anything even remotely close to "gaming", count your cheap tablet out.  If you want to do just about anything Office related - working on Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Word, etc, a cheap tablet is terribly difficult to perform these tasks on, if they can do it at all.

If all you're using your laptop/desktop for is browsing the Internet, streaming online videos, email and simple, app-type games, and honestly, this may be the majority of people out there, then a cheap tablet may be able to replace your older laptop/desktop.  But if you have kids who need to do homework, or you have to use the computer for work on occasion, a cheap tablet will leave you either frustrated out of your mind or simply stranded high and dry and unable to perform the tasks you might need.

Cheap tablets are fun little toys.  They definitely have their place in the market.  (I have a couple.)

But in the vast majority of scenarios, they are NOT replacements for a traditional laptop/desktop computer.

Thanks for this! It's very helpful!

Look to get a tablet for my teen ... would be used mostly for internet and gaming. Prefer not to spend over $200 ... Have been looking at a few different ones like the kindle fire and Samsung tablet but am open to other sugestions as well. Thanks

Hoping for the same thing as a gift for my brother... I have an iPad as we have all Apple devices. He wants nothing to do with Apple, which is a good thing as there is a better chance of getting something, lol

• Like 1

My daughter got the Nabi 2 tablet two years ago.  She really doesn't play with it very often.  But, my husband uses it nearly every day.  I will have about 50.00 in Amazon gift cards in the next two weeks.  So, I am thinking about using it to get him a tablet.

I am thinking about the Samsung or Kindle Fire.  I am hoping to spend as little extra as possible.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Samsung.  I've heard mixed reviews on the Kindle.  He really wouldn't use it for anything but getting on youtube. 

Would either of the tablets be good for this?

Wife dropped a hint about a new tablet this year to replace her old mini laptop. She's used to Apple products so I'm considering an iPad.   Couple of questions - Does anyone know off hand a "good-great" price range for each type and what's the deal with the "Retina" display?  Is it really that much better?

I'm also thinking about a 2-1 laptop but I've been drawn to the Surface 3 and that's in a higher range than I'm looking for.

Edited by MrMiser

Wife dropped a hint about a new tablet this year to replace her old mini laptop. She's used to Apple products so I'm considering an iPad.   Couple of questions - Does anyone know off hand a "good-great" price range for each type and what's the deal with the "Retina" display?  Is it really that much better?

Your first step is to decide which screen size she wants 9.7" (iPad) or 7.9" (iPad mini). The next step is to determine how she wants to use the tablet. Casual (web surfing, email, Facebook, streaming, simple games) or productivity (office, documents, spreadsheets, presentations) or photo editing or something else. That'll determine how much she needs in the way of hardware and storage. This year, Apple eliminated 32GB from its lineup, so the new models go 16GB, 64GB, 128GB (at $100 for each bump up). The full size iPad is $100 more than the iPad mini at each storage level. She might get by with a refurbished older model or she may need the newest one. Use will determine which one she should get.

As to retina display, it's just an Apple invented term for higher resolution displays that produce sharper images and text. All high end tablets from other makers have displays that equal or exceed Apple's. The last 4 iPads and last 2 iPad minis have had retina displays, so more than likely, that's what she'll end up with anyway.

Find out how she wants to use it and get back to me.

Edited by tubemonkey

I am still kicking myself for not getting the ipad mini at Wal-Mart last year. I hope they have something similar this year.

Best Buy did the same thing last year too -- $299 + $100 BB gift card. I got two minis and then converted the BB gift cards to Amazon gift cards.

TubeMonkey - thanks for the pointers - she's arleady saying she doesn't think she'll be doing much creation - more browsing.   That was part of the reason for the tablet over the 2 in 1.   I was a little surprised as she does some work on her mini laptop.  I plan on going with her to do some hands on.   Won't be any surprise since she's laying out what she wants anyway.   The early deals at Walmart just today have a couple of models on sale - no idea if that's a good price yet.

On another thing you posted - how did you convert BB cards to Amazon?

TubeMonkey - thanks for the pointers - she's arleady saying she doesn't think she'll be doing much creation - more browsing.   That was part of the reason for the tablet over the 2 in 1.   I was a little surprised as she does some work on her mini laptop.  I plan on going with her to do some hands on.   Won't be any surprise since she's laying out what she wants anyway.   The early deals at Walmart just today have a couple of models on sale - no idea if that's a good price yet.

On another thing you posted - how did you convert BB cards to Amazon?

Consider an iPad mini 2. Don't get the mini 3 because it's $100 more and the only thing Apple changed on it this year was the addition of a fingerprint scanner. Is that worth $100 to you? If she doesn't plan to store lots of music and videos on the tablet, then 16GB will probably be plenty, not to mention cheaper.

Watch the ads and see if it goes on sale. Last year, both Best Buy and Walmart sold the 16GB mini 1 for $299 and it came with a free $100 gift card. That was a great deal. Hopefully they'll offer something similar for the mini 2 this year.

Best Buy let me use my $100 BB gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards. I don't know if they do it anymore, but they did last year. What they wouldn't allow was buying prepaid Visa cards with them.

I'm also thinking about a 2-1 laptop but I've been drawn to the Surface 3 and that's in a higher range than I'm looking for.

Retina display is the bomb diggity. I love it so much. Everything looks better with it.  

When I go from my MacBook that doesn't have retina to my phone or ipad that does, the difference is pretty large in quality.  Even some of the pictures I took with my old as hell iPhone look sharp on the retina screen.

As you said, if all she wants to do is browse, and she likes Apple products, a 16gb iPad is enough. I have one, and my only problems in regards to space is that I download a lot of magazines (through the library, so good!), so I have to keep deleting the older issues.

A "Retina" display is a marketing term that Apple uses to indicate the display has an exceptionally dense pixel density - generally above 300 pixels per square inch.

Pixels are the little individual dots of color that make up the pictures we see on TV screens and tablets as well.

We don't want to see dots, we want to see pictures.  The more dots there are in a given space and the smaller they are, the harder it is for us to see them.  It makes the images appear more "real".

Apple's "Retina" concept means they've made the pixels small and dense enough that the average person shouldn't be able to see those individual dots from a normal viewing distance (a foot or so for phones or tablets).

We're all familiar with HD resolutions, right?  For example, 1080P?  A true 1080P signal means the image is 1,920 pixels across and 1,080 pixels tall.  A 1080P 20 inch screen displays the same number of pixels as a 1080P 50 inch screen.  However, in some instances, bigger isn't always better.  You'll be able to see pixels on the 50 inch screen from farther away than you would looking at the 20 inch screen. 

Now, Apple copyrighted the "Retina" name (they copyright everything they do and even lots of things they steal from other companies), but that doesn't mean they're the only company to make devices with really sharp screens.  For example, the iPhone 6 Plus has a really awesome screen advertizing true 1080P (1920 x 1080) on a 5.5 inch screen.  There's no denying, that's pretty awesome.  That gives it a pixel density of about 401 pixels per square inch.  However, one of the iPhone 6 Plus's biggest competitors, the Galaxy Note 4, has a 5.7 inch screen with a massive 2560 x 1440 resolution.  That means it has an even higher pixel density (more than 500 pixels per square inch) and thus should sport an even sharper screen.

So yes, a Retina screen is really nice, some might even say the bomb-diggity ;).  But just because it says Retina on it doesn't make it the best.

I'm in need of a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Really hoping Walmarthas a sale to beat everyone else.

I am interested in one of those too.  This may seem like a stupid question, but if I want one that is not just Wi-fi does it have to come from my cell phone provider (Verizon)?  Or can it just be one that has 4G and I will have to add it to my plan?  Currently, I have a Samsung Note 7" with just wi-fi and I love it, but I am thinking I would like to have something that I can use all over and with a bit bigger screen.

Thanks for any info!

A good source for New, name brand tablets is Aliexpress.com. On their website, you can see just how much people are being raked over the coals on American prices. On Tuesday Nov 11, they are having a big sale and I'll be placing an order for a Samsung Galaxy tablet and a tablet keyboard with case.

I found an online forum which reminded me of them, and I remember buying from them previously. When I get my items, I'll post again with my review of them.

Edited by cwashi3324

My 7 year old wants to try out a tablet of her own this year. She plays games mostly, including reading and coloring games, which is why I'd like to get her a larger tablet (~10in) instead of a smaller one. I've been looking over the black friday ads that are out so far, and Sears will have a trio stealth g4 10.1in quad core tablet with 16gb memory for $100 plus $20 back in points. I didn't find much in terms of reviews of this online. Anyone have experience with this brand, or recommendations on other models? We spend about $100 per kid for Christmas (with 4 kids), so this plus maybe some accessories would be all she gets. I'd be willing to spend a little more if there is a significantly better brand/product, but I can't really go over ~$150 or so. Thanks for the help!

My 7 year old wants to try out a tablet of her own this year. She plays games mostly, including reading and coloring games, which is why I'd like to get her a larger tablet (~10in) instead of a smaller one. I've been looking over the black friday ads that are out so far, and Sears will have a trio stealth g4 10.1in quad core tablet with 16gb memory for $100 plus $20 back in points. I didn't find much in terms of reviews of this online. Anyone have experience with this brand, or recommendations on other models? We spend about $100 per kid for Christmas (with 4 kids), so this plus maybe some accessories would be all she gets. I'd be willing to spend a little more if there is a significantly better brand/product, but I can't really go over ~$150 or so. Thanks for the help!

Despite several sites (KMart, Sears, TigerDirect) indicating that it has an "HD" screen, that Trio Stealth G4 has a rather low pixel count - consider it anti-retina.  Technically, to be considered "High Definition", the screen should be able to display more than a million pixels (720P knocks on the door at about 920k pixels).  The G4's 1024 x 600 (614k pixels) is woefully short of that.  If I were you, I'd try hitting the store and laying eyes on it in person.  I suspect that if reading is a primary purpose for the device, you may want to have a better screen to try and avoid wear and tear on your (or her) eyes. 

The processor is probably sufficient. 

The RAM is on the low end, but likely sufficient.  I wouldn't consider anything less than 1GB RAM.

• Like 1

Personally, I always avoid these no-name Chinese tablets and prefer to get quality brands backed up by reliable customer service and warranties.

If I was getting a tablet for a 7-yo, I'd get her a Kindle Fire HD. I'd go with Amazon for several reasons:

excellent 24/7 customer service

great parental controls via Amazon FreeTime

great ecosystem with lots of free content and credits

if the tablet is defective, they send you a replacement immediately - you send the defective one back after you get the replacement

the HD's are pretty sturdy and you can get inexpensive rugged cases for them

Amazon has a Kids Edition - it's more expensive, but the overall bundle is cheaper than buying individually

Meijer and Kmart have the lowest BF prices so far - Meijer: HD6 $59, HD7 $89, HD6 Kids $119 and Kmart: HD6 $70 (prices after subtracting the store coupons, points, or cards they give you)

• Like 2

I appreciate the help--the Kindle Fire is what we had been considering before the ads came out. I just wasn't sure if the difference between screen sizes between the Fire and the larger tablets would make much of a difference. I only have experience with the 10in tablet size. We will head to a store and check out several sizes of tablets to see what makes the most sense for her. Thanks for the advice!