Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Smart Watch

25 replies to this topic

#1 santaclaus  OFFLINE  

santaclaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 8:57 am

I have heard that Apple is going to have a smart watch. Anyone know anything about it? Price? Release date?
I believe in Santa Claus.

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 10:00 am

Right now it's Rumored to be announced next week when they announce the new iPhone. With Apple everything is a rumor until it happens though. Latest rumor I heard on pricing was it's a high end price but they didn't give numbers. Sorry for being so vague but with them it honestly doesn't happen until they announce and sometimes even the best rumors just don't pan out.

#3 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 2:27 pm

Apple is scheduled to "invent" the smart watch on the 9th I believe...  /s

I'm interested to see what they bring to the game even though they are a bit late.  A smart watch may be on my short list this year.

#4 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 2:31 pm

The only rumor I have really heard is that it may be a "platform" instead of a device.  Sort of the way Google is doing it right now with Android Wear.

There will be a lot of devices this holiday season for the wear.

#5 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 5:59 pm

Apple's smartwatch is estimated at $400.  A little pricey in my opinion.  Smartwatches haven't really taken off.  All they are currently capable of is fitness stuff (pulse, blood preassure, etc.)  They also let you know if you have a message/who is calling/etc.  It works well for those who don't feel like looking at their phone or can't get to it.  It is less obtrusive to check a text (not text back) during a meeting.  The ones that are currently out are large and heavy.  Screens (even on the round ones) are square/rectangle.

#6 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 2, 2014 - 6:13 pm

They already do quite a bit more than that.

Because of the way the Google Wear platform is set up, developers can quickly add more features.

I'm really interested in turn-by-turn directions and trusted devices.

#7 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,574 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 3, 2014 - 7:24 am

Some of the new ones coming out also can makes calls with no phone around. I don't wear a watch so these things have no interest for me.

#8 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 3, 2014 - 12:49 pm

Several announcements came today from IFA in Berlin.

I think this is going to be a fun market segment to watch over the next few months.

#9 inogenius  OFFLINE  

inogenius

• 4,472 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 4, 2014 - 2:14 pm

I would expect elegance over functionality from Apple at this point. Most of the features smart watches are able to right now are basically pointless, and Apple realizes that. Until they can cause life style changes, there's practically no point. Of course, if anyone is capable of re-defining what a device can do, it's Apple. #fanboy

#10 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 5, 2014 - 1:19 pm

Possibly...

But Apple hasn't redefined anything in quite some time.  They are simply a PR machine.

#11 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,574 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 9, 2014 - 11:02 am

So all of the information on Apple Watch is now out. Looks like it will start at $349 and will be out early 2015. All in all looks pretty neat if you're into these smart watches. Plenty of sites out there talking about it and the new phones.

#12 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 9, 2014 - 6:51 pm

Once again Apple produces a decent looking device... but I think they've missed the mark in pricing and functionality.  We'll have to see about the full functionality...

You are talking about $349 in a market where the competition is significantly less...  The newest Moto 360 is $249...  $299 if you wait for the ones with the steel bands.  There are more coming out, and because of the way that Google designed Wear...  Apps are quickly coming out.  By the time Apple releases their smartwatch in 2015, I expect that very nice Wear watches will be <$200.

But again... Apple is a PR machine... if you've bought in to their ecosystem, you don't have any other options at the moment.

#13 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,574 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 10, 2014 - 6:31 am

I think they are more than a PR machine I think they actually make really good and important to me stable products. Now on the price I completely agree I think the price is off the mark and still the major part that bothers me is they completely skirted the whole battery life thing unless I missed something. I really hope all their products succeed and that all the android ones succeed. In the end as consumers we win as they will keep pushing each other. :)

#14 kranky  OFFLINE  

kranky

• 3,686 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 14, 2014 - 10:18 am

If you have to recharge it daily, it's dead in the water.

#15 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 14, 2014 - 4:29 pm

If you have to recharge it daily, it's dead in the water.

I disagree...  I once said the same thing about phones.

I hope that more companies use Qi (Chi) wireless charging like the Moto 360.  

#16 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 15, 2014 - 7:48 am

I've been using a Moto 360 for almost a week now. Battery life has been better than I expected - every night when I throw it on the charger it's been over 50% and most days over 60% remaining.

#17 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 17, 2014 - 12:24 pm

I've been using a Moto 360 for almost a week now. Battery life has been better than I expected - every night when I throw it on the charger it's been over 50% and most days over 60% remaining.

How do you like it?

I'm seriously considering one.

#18 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

Sentient Program Operator

• 1,393 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 18, 2014 - 6:52 pm

Once again Apple produces a decent looking device... but I think they've missed the mark in pricing and functionality.  We'll have to see about the full functionality...

You are talking about $349 in a market where the competition is significantly less...  The newest Moto 360 is $249...  $299 if you wait for the ones with the steel bands.  There are more coming out, and because of the way that Google designed Wear...  Apps are quickly coming out.  By the time Apple releases their smartwatch in 2015, I expect that very nice Wear watches will be <$200.

But again... Apple is a PR machine... if you've bought in to their ecosystem, you don't have any other options at the moment.

I could not agree more.  Right now the watch is the newest "add on" that all the smartphone makers have come up with, and apple is jumping on the bandwagon saying "me too" and "if you are hooked on app$e, then this is your only option." 

I do see growth, I do see added function coming to smartwatches, but it will have to jumb a long way still to get average person to add it to their purchase list.

Think of 3D tv's when they came out.  Yes nice and fancy, but not a ton of content when they came out, and have to do something funky (wear the glasses) to even make it do what it does that is special. 

A computer can only be as smart as the person running it. :crash:

#19 jabsther  OFFLINE  

jabsther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 21, 2014 - 5:29 am

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-29238264

Read different article the other day about a fatal car accident because of them. Just a matter of time before the US starts looking into that.

#20 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,179 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2014 - 9:18 am

It's already illegal to text and drive in CA, they'll probably just extend the law to cover the watch.

GO BRUINS!

#21 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 21, 2014 - 7:16 pm

There are already apps out there that block texts while driving (and some respond with "I'm driving right now.  I'll read your text when I stop.")  I'm wondering when it will become mandatory for the phone makers to integrate this into their software.  I don't think that carriers will add that because the first one that does may lose market share as they are limiting the use of the phone.  The only problem with these apps is that they cannot tell if you are the one driving or simply a passenger. 

#22 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 23, 2014 - 2:50 pm

The inherent problem with that is that the phone or app will never know if you are the driver or the passenger...

#23 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2014 - 6:31 am

This shouldn't be a technology thing.  It needs to be a personal responsibility thing.

We don't have that many accidents each year from people driving blindfolded, because somehow, we've been able to convince most American drivers (my incredibly poor opinion of their average driving skill aside) that doing so is stupid.  Driving and texting is just about equally as stupid.  We can never legislate all distractions away - heck, if we did, we'd probably have more accidents from people falling asleep from boredom while driving.  We must educate the driving public on what their responsibilities are.  And there needs to be solid repercussions to doing stupid things.  Owning/using a cell phone is NOT a right.  Owning/driving a car is NOT a right.  They need to be treated as the privileges they are.

In my (ok, not so) humble opinion, we are FAR too lenient on stupidity in America - especially when it comes to stupidity behind the wheel of automobiles.  Driving your car to work is NOT the time to put on your makeup.  It is NOT the time to read your newspaper.  It is NOT the time to shave. 

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers, BEFORE they get their license if they haven't yet or before they can get their license renewed if they already have one, to attend 4 funerals where the deceased was either the victim of a stupid driver or the stupid driver themselves.  The results of stupidity need to be made real for all drivers.  In real life, you can't just hit the reset button and start again.

....Who put that soap box there...? 

:gdbacktopic:

Edited by Pnambic, Sep 30, 2014 - 6:32 am.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#24 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,574 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 30, 2014 - 9:11 am

Ron White said it best. You can't fix stupid :)

#25 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

Sentient Program Operator

• 1,393 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 12, 2014 - 11:10 am

Did you just say personal responsibility?  Have you looked around lately?  No one takes personal responsibility for anything.  I agree wth you by the way.

This shouldn't be a technology thing.  It needs to be a personal responsibility thing.

We don't have that many accidents each year from people driving blindfolded, because somehow, we've been able to convince most American drivers (my incredibly poor opinion of their average driving skill aside) that doing so is stupid.  Driving and texting is just about equally as stupid.  We can never legislate all distractions away - heck, if we did, we'd probably have more accidents from people falling asleep from boredom while driving.  We must educate the driving public on what their responsibilities are.  And there needs to be solid repercussions to doing stupid things.  Owning/using a cell phone is NOT a right.  Owning/driving a car is NOT a right.  They need to be treated as the privileges they are.

In my (ok, not so) humble opinion, we are FAR too lenient on stupidity in America - especially when it comes to stupidity behind the wheel of automobiles.  Driving your car to work is NOT the time to put on your makeup.  It is NOT the time to read your newspaper.  It is NOT the time to shave. 

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers, BEFORE they get their license if they haven't yet or before they can get their license renewed if they already have one, to attend 4 funerals where the deceased was either the victim of a stupid driver or the stupid driver themselves.  The results of stupidity need to be made real for all drivers.  In real life, you can't just hit the reset button and start again.

....Who put that soap box there...? 

:gdbacktopic:

A computer can only be as smart as the person running it. :crash:

#26 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 12, 2015 - 3:33 am

If you were hoping to get an Apple Watch on your wrist when it was scheduled to start shipping later this month, then you’re probably out of luck.

Online pre-orders for the Watch began at 12:01 a.m. PT (3:01 a.m. ET) on Friday. But all variations of the new device -- it comes in two sizes, made of three materials, and with a host of band choices -- sold out online in under six hours, according to 9to5Mac.

Apple's website showed that, as of Friday afternoon, new orders of any of the ten models of the Apple Watch Sport will not ship until June. Some of the 20 models of the stainless steel version, which start at $549, will ship in four to six weeks, while other variations will also ship in June.

The variations of the Edition model, which is made of gold and starts at $10,000 but goes up to a whopping $17,000 (don’t worry -- the shipping is free), won’t ship until June.

Marijuana is the gateway drug to the refrigerator.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users