Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Help me start a new website folks!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason82  OFFLINE  

Jason82

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2004 - 8:14 am

I attend NKU (Northern Kentucky Univ.) and we have roughly 15,000 students. I'd like to start a website with a heavy focus on the forums, with the content part of the website related to daily campus activities.

What costs would be involved with this? I understand I would need to purchase a domain from GoDaddy or someplace comparable for about $10 / year? And then I understand I need to get some type of host. I currently have free posting from 1and1, but RossMAN constantly threatens my life because I choose to host anything with them, even freely ;) 1and1 gives me a 100mb SQL database, I think 500mb total storage and 5 gb of monthly? Something like that. Anyway, this could be a good platform to get my site started, but I wanted some feedback.

Would this be a good idea? Any possible small profits down the road (ie, companies targeting the college demographic with ads, etC). Anyway, just curious. I'm definitely not in it for any money, just would like to start a website that I can call "my own" with decent traffic.

Thread moved to the Web Hosting and Domain Registration forum - RossMAN

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2004 - 8:40 am

Hi Jason,

First off welcome to the GottaDeal.com forums :)

Yes this is a good idea and can be done for a low price. However unless it's popular and utilized by the community, it may not be worth the effort or expense. So if you think you can adequately advertise and market this web site, then go for it.

As with all web sites you will have 3 main components, this is no different:
1) Domain Registration, I recommend using NameCheap.com or GoDaddy.com for under $9/yr. Remember NameCheap.com has a special offering FREE WhoisGuard protection to protect your identity from stalkers and spammers. Remember to make your domain a .com or .org, short and very easy to remember. Try to avoid using hyphens or numbers. Short and easy to remember is what you're looking for.

2) Web Hosting, there are thousands of web hosts to choose from. I will need to know your realistic monthly or annual budget. There are several great web hosts for $30-$50/yr if you can afford that. So again I need a firm budget to work with.

3) Content, I would go the easy approach and use a CMS. You can read more about this on OpenSourceCMS.com. This way you don't have to design a web site, it's all ready to go out of the box. It may require some customization and tweaking. Of course if you're a DreamWeaver pro, then I would just design your own web site from scratch. Most web hosts also offer Microsoft FrontPage support.

Please let me know if you have any questions. :fedora:

#3 Jason82  OFFLINE  

Jason82

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2004 - 8:47 am

Great info! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll go for www.namecheap.com and I'm willing to pay $50/year. Should I go ahead and reserve a domain name now? Or wait for your further instructions?

Also, could you give me a brief (one sentence?) difference between CMS and NukePHP? Thanks Ross!

#4 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2004 - 9:37 am

Great info! Thanks for the warm welcome.

You're welcome, that's what we're here for :)

I'll go for www.namecheap.com and I'm willing to pay $50/year. Should I go ahead and reserve a domain name now? Or wait for your further instructions?

Go ahead and register a domain with NameCheap.com. Please PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you details on the $50/yr web hosting offer. The offer is from a well established web host who has been in business for over 3 years. The offer includes 500MB/20GB, cPanel with Fantastico and dozens of other features.

Also, could you give me a brief (one sentence?) difference between CMS and NukePHP? Thanks Ross!

CMS = content management system
NukePHP = a CMS flavor (just like there's PostNuke, Mambo, GeekLog, etc.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users