Too soon to discuss store hours?

julz0420

Anyone want to guess if the stores will continue opening on thanksgiving or if BF will return to... Well BF??

I'm going to guess they all follow along with last year. Hopefully not upping the hours any and I'm guessing the stores that held firm last year will fall in line this year. (At least most of them)

Yep, based on the news stories and such after the fact last year, the corporate suits all considered the new hours a success. 

Those of us that loved the traditional Black Friday shopping can file our experiences away in the "Remember When..." folder, and pull them out every year to share with our children and grandchildren who will never understand just how great it was. LOL

• Like 6

Well to be honest it made my shopping day a little easier. I have come to the realization that I will never again get a door buster that you have to be in store for. Though we still got everything else that we wanted last year and the stores were a lot less busy than they have been in the years past. We went out at our normal time and pretty much walked in and got what we wanted and the things I wanted to make sure we didn't miss out on we got online on Thanksgiving when they went live and had them delivered.

I did miss the hustle and bustle that we normally had but all in all we kept out tradition alive. This year we have relocated so we will have to find new places to do our shopping and eat. :)

• Like 4

I agree - opening sooner seems to mean more bucks to the retailers.  I will not sacrifice family time with shopping though.  I will go out once everything is done (eating, cleaning, visiting, etc)

Agree!  Online shopping early am and then maybe late night when no one wants to move or do anything....lol. 

I've always hit up Walgreens early on Thanksgiving and I do admit that I liked the hours last year since dh works at 2am and so I hadn't been able to shop early Friday since I had our son. However, I do miss the whole setting 6 alarms for 2am, calling to be sure my mom was up, heading out in the freezing cold with the Christmas music up and bonding with all the other freezing BF nuts while waiting for the store to open.
  • Like 4

Yep, based on the news stories and such after the fact last year, the corporate suits all considered the new hours a success. 

Those of us that loved the traditional Black Friday shopping can file our experiences away in the "Remember When..." folder, and pull them out every year to share with our children and grandchildren who will never understand just how great it was. LOL

Not sure how much of a success it was in our area. We host Thanksgiving dinner and eat around 4 so we did not head out shopping until well after the stores opened and was still able to get all the deals including door busters that I was after. Noticed that the stores were not as pact as I have seen them in the past when the stores opened at 4/5am.

I am hoping they do not push the hours further into Thanksgiving ...

I think that it is really sad that not only the corporate powers that be, but the consumers have pushed and pushed until there is no longer really a Black Friday.  I feel really bad for all of the people who have to work and give up THEIR family time just to make some people happy so they can shop and feel like they are getting "deals" on Thanksgiving.  My husband has worked in retail for over 16 years and every year it gets worse.  I know he picked that job, but it wasn't like this even 5 years ago when people still respected family time and holidays.

• Like 4

I really hate the earlier and earlier hours.  Seems to just get worse every year.  DW works at Walmart in photo, and every previous year they were able to work just 4 hour shifts so that we could have our 34 year traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  Last year,.,,8 hour shift from 2-11, so no chance of that.  With most stores opening on Thanksgiving, we should just change the name to Balck Thursday.  I shudder to think at what time they will start this year.

• Like 1

I really hate the earlier and earlier hours.  Seems to just get worse every year.  DW works at Walmart in photo, and every previous year they were able to work just 4 hour shifts so that we could have our 34 year traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  Last year,.,,8 hour shift from 2-11, so no chance of that.  With most stores opening on Thanksgiving, we should just change the name to Balck Thursday.  I shudder to think at what time they will start this year.

look at my shirt suggestion for this year lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, it doesn't. Won't stop me from shopping though :D

Maybe it's because I don't have many people to shop for... and DD knows she's not to expect anything after getting signed up for taekwondo classes (monthly tuition, uniforms, gear... I don't want to think about it!). Perhaps things will change after I see some ads.

I’m betting we are going to see some big stores open on Wednesday and the rest on Thursday…. Even the ones that have stated they wouldn’t previous years will be forced to or else loose big bucks.......In about 10 years black Friday will be held around Halloween!

• Like 1

I’m betting we are going to see some big stores open on Wednesday and the rest on Thursday…. Even the ones that have stated they wouldn’t previous years will be forced to or else loose big bucks.......In about 10 years black Friday will be held around Halloween!

The trick is in the timing. Stores are already open on Wednesday night, but could do earlybird wave shopping anytime from 6pm to midnight, thus saving the balance for Friday and leaving Thursday alone alltogether. This would satiate most businesses desire to run the table, yet preserving the tradition of Thanksgiving.

Just throwing this out there...

Do you think this new trend of opening Thursday has to do with where BF falls on the calendar? Last year, BF was as late as it could be (the 29th). This year and next year it's pretty late but in 2016, it's the the 25th. Would stores have felt the need to move it up if they didn't have a shortened season? It probably doesn't matter because, by the time 2016 hits, it's probably going to be the tradition to open that early. I don't see stores moving away from that until consumers prove to them that it's not what we want. But this is just something I have been thinking about...

Just throwing this out there...

Do you think this new trend of opening Thursday has to do with where BF falls on the calendar? Last year, BF was as late as it could be (the 29th). This year and next year it's pretty late but in 2016, it's the the 25th. Would stores have felt the need to move it up if they didn't have a shortened season? It probably doesn't matter because, by the time 2016 hits, it's probably going to be the tradition to open that early. I don't see stores moving away from that until consumers prove to them that it's not what we want. But this is just something I have been thinking about...

Honestly I think they are doing it to make a buck, doesn't matter when the day falls. They see it as a way to get more money faster. I guess at the end of the they need money to stay in business but I will continue our tradition and skip going on Thursday.

• Like 1

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/09/24/expect-retailers-to-open-even-earlier-this-thanksgiving/

They were talking about this on our local news tonight. Seems the Wall Street Journal is predicting some stores will run their sales all day on Thanksgiving this year.

If that is the case then I may be doing more online ordering this year. We host Thanksgiving dinner and I refuse to give that up ..if this keeps up I may end up fore going BF all together ... I really miss the the 4/5 am openings.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/09/24/expect-retailers-to-open-even-earlier-this-thanksgiving/

They were talking about this on our local news tonight. Seems the Wall Street Journal is predicting some stores will run their sales all day on Thanksgiving this year.

That's an interesting article. Thank you for posting.

I shopped at Big Lots once on Thanksgiving and it was so depressing that I vowed never to shop on Thanksgiving again. That was several years ago, back when only a handful of stores were open that day. The cashier looked so miserable and there were only like 3 of us in the store. Obviously things are different now but I still don't feel right about shopping on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Yeah even I can't stomach all the sales starting as early as Thursday morning.

I barely have time to shop Walgreens after I put the turkey in the oven. I can't shop all day cause I cook the meal. I hope they don't start sales any earlier than 5pm, and even that's too early really. Ugh

Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, Florida announced their Black Friday Hours.  

"The 350-plus store megamall will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, offering 27 continuous hours of holiday bargain shopping, according to a release.

The mall will close at 9:30 p.m. Nov. 28."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/deals-shopping/sfl-sawgrass-mills-announces-2014-black-friday-hours-20141001-story.html