Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

so Computer went down, need some advice on replacing part or replacing whole computer

20 replies to this topic

#1 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 10, 2014 - 7:36 am

I have a HP Pavilion that is about 4ish years old, good computer but it went down, at first they thought it was a virus but concluded that its the motherboard (checked HD and that works etc), should i spend $175 to $200 replacing the board or just get a new computer.  I really didn't want to upgrade to Win 8 and worry about printer etc not working plus will my windows office 2007 be able to transfer or do I have to buy a whole new office.  Just kinda of lost, the HD still have all my pics and stuff, if I go with new computer can I somehow get the old HD to transfer the data since the computer won't boot up properly?  HP Pavilions are around $500 and up and haven't found one that includes monitor etc so thats just for the tower

#2 shopping4my3son  OFFLINE  

shopping4my3son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 11, 2014 - 6:19 am

Windows 7 is still available on computer if you buy directly from Toshiba. For Christmas last year we picked up a laptop for our kids from there. Then earlier this year I replaced my laptop but didn't want Windows 8 so I ordered from Toshiba. So far no problems with either.

:cheese:

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,769 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 11, 2014 - 7:02 am

Microsoft mainstream support for Windows 7 is scheduled to end Jan 2015.

http://windows.micro...ndows/lifecycle

With Microsoft dropping Windows XP support earlier this year, I migrated all my XP machines to Ubuntu Linux.  (I have fours kids and I'm one of those masochistic fools that just can't let a computer die no matter how old it is, so we have lots of computers...)

You don't necessarily have to get the same motherboard as a replacement.  You may be able to get an MSI or ASUS or GIGABYTE motherboard much cheaper (and likely with better performance and reliability).  We just need to know your system's current specs in order to find a board that would work with all of your existing hardware.  Or, we could upgrade you depending on the cost.

Click on the Windows button, right click on Computer, select Properties and you'll see your system rating, or Windows Experience Index.  If you click on the link to the Windows Experience Index, it will give you a little more info.  On the right, you should see a link to "View and print detailed performance and system information".  Copy that page and post it here for us to look at and we can probably get enough info to make a few suggestions.

Edited by Pnambic, Jul 11, 2014 - 7:06 am.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#4 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 11, 2014 - 9:05 am

I can't boot the computer up to open it, any other suggestions to find the information

#5 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 11, 2014 - 4:27 pm

A new (different) motherboard will probably mean you are going to reload windows.  The recovery disk from your HP will not work with an alternative motherboard (driver differences).  Personally, I would go ahead and get a new computer.  Your office can be loaded on the new computer without any problems.  You can remove the old hdd from your dead computer and either install it in your new computer as a "backup" hdd or you can hook it into an external case.  You don't need a new monitor if your old one still works (unless you want a bigger one).  There are other companies that make computers besides HP.  What do you do with your computer?  If you just surf the web and check email, you can probably find a tower for less than $300.  If you want it to be fairly responsive, you can get one for under $500.  If you game, you are probably better off building one.  It is much easier to build one than you may think and if you have a future problem, you only need to replace the component that went out as you are not reliant on a recovery disk.  If you are looking to purchase a new computer, you can order one online (sometimes with free shipping).  Websites I suggest:  Frys.com, newegg.com, and tigerdirect.com.

To get the specs of your dead computer, just post the complete model number.

Edited by laddhorn, Jul 11, 2014 - 4:30 pm.

#6 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 6:22 am

Thank you, I didn't know the recovery disk wouldn't work on the new motherboard (was looking at one that came out of the same model) its a HP pavilion p6214y.  I don't game on computer, I do surf web, email, use it for prop mgmt, etc

#7 ObiRich  OFFLINE  

ObiRich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 15, 2014 - 3:54 pm

One other thing.  Lots of computer manufacturers don't use standard sized parts, like cases and motherboards.  To replace the motherboard, you might have to replace it with an identical HP motherboard.  In which case, your recovery disks should work.  Personally, spending that kind of money on a 4 year old PC is not a smart idea, when you can get new ones for less than twice that (and not HPs either...which I don't like).

#8 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 15, 2014 - 7:00 pm

Here is an Acer for $419.  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883103950

It is significantly faster than your old one with a very large hdd.  You can still install your old one into it.  It comes with Windows 7 and free shipping.  If you don't live near one (California) you may get it tax free, too!

#9 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 15, 2014 - 8:15 pm

thank you, is there a good tutorial on transferring the HD to new computer since I can't boot the old computer up (before I could just do the transfer route since the computers were still functioning).  Curious, why don't you like HP?

#10 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 16, 2014 - 3:40 am

You can probably find tutorials on YouTube, but each computer case is different.  Usually, you take 2 screws off the side and slide the side back a little and it comes off.  Other times, you take a few screws off the back and slide all the sides off at once.  Once you crack open the case, the HDD is in a cage and cables run out of it.  Just unplug the cables from the HDD (you should be able to use the data cable in the new case) and remove it from the cage.  Install is similar, but I would suggest you be more careful with the new computer's case.  You can also find a local computer nerd who would probably do it for a pizza or some beer (if they are of age.)

#11 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,769 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 16, 2014 - 5:08 am

The most recent review specifically mentions replacing the motherboard on in an HP...heh

http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

Pros: Versatility
The only new motherboard available on newegg.ca that still accepts AM2 processors

Cons: Not really a con but lack of DVI plug and no USB3

Other Thoughts: I bought this motherboard to replace an old one that failed me on a HP computer. I choose this one because i had an AM2 processor, DDR2 ram and i didn't feel like buying a new pc.
So far this motherboards is working good.

This is one of those situations where you have to weigh your pros and cons. 

If you're careful and good at tinkering, you could replace the motherboard for about $50 in parts.  If you have to pay some kid down the street to help you out, that goes up to maybe $75.  If you pay a shop to do it, who knows....maybe $200? 

Or you can go buy another computer and you're stuck with this lump and still need to find a way to get the data off your old hard drive.  You're still stuck with digging into your old lump to dig out the old hard drive.  And then you're faced with the choice of either buying and using an external hard drive case ($20 +/-) and moving your important files to the new computer via USB or digging into your new machine to install the old hard drive as a secondary hard drive.  If you do this yourself, you're talking $300+ (at least for the new computer) or so but if you have to pay other people to do it, the costs go up.

Is a new computer faster than your old one?  Sure. 

Do you need faster to continue to browse the web and check emails?  Probably not.

It's an age old question.  My AC went out last week.  It's 16 years old.  Turns out it was the fan motor on the unit outside.  My choice was to replace the fan motor for about $250 and continue limping along on an AC unit that certainly gets the job done with no usual complaints but is probably near the end of its expected lifespan, or spend $2700 on a new unit that will undoubtedly be more efficient and last longer.  For me, right now, I chose to pay to have the guy repair the old unit.  If I wasn't in such a hurry to get it fixed (90+ degrees in the bedroom is not conducive to good, restful sleep), I could have probably sourced a replacement fan motor and fixed it myself for $100.  But I decided it was worth it to me to pay a guy to do it more quickly than I would have been able to.

Edited by Pnambic, Jul 16, 2014 - 5:10 am.

#12 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Aug 9, 2014 - 7:47 pm

Go to the dark side and go Apple. I did. laptop is 4 years old and works as if I just bought it.
Marijuana is the gateway drug to the refrigerator.

#13 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,769 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 11, 2014 - 12:56 pm

Go to the dark side and go Apple. I did. laptop is 4 years old and works as if I just bought it.

There's always one...

I think this is a terrible idea because...

- Your Windows license for Office will not transfer - so now you're either out a bunch more money for the Mac version of Office or you have to learn a new "free" office package.

- And as if learning a new Windows interface isn't tough enough, switching to a Mac will be at least as tough...where is the dang right click???  hahaha

- Mac's have never been called anything even close to inexpensive.  I don't think you can buy a new Mac for less than $1000, can you?

IMHO, with very few exceptions (my brother has a $16,000 Mac Pro monster for his CGI stuff at work that even I drool over...), Mac's are fashion accessories.  They tell the world at large that, "I have more dollars than sense and am happy to spend more to look trendy".  No different than a Coach purse I suppose...  And there's nothing wrong with that really.  I love wasting money on fun cars.  I love wasting money on playing golf.  I'm sure my doing those things projects the same image to some people.  But a Mac just isn't something I would suggest to someone who has asked for a cost conscious solution. 

I am curious what the OP ended up doing on this one though.

#14 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 11, 2014 - 6:36 pm

I am still trying to find a computer LOL   I found out that HP tags the boards so unless I get it retagged to my old system, when I install the new board it won't boot up...I found someone who can help me with the new board and tagging for $200 but been looking at the back to school sales and see if a new computer comes up....I have been using my daughters laptop but she is moving out so better make a decision

#15 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,769 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 12, 2014 - 5:01 am

The real question is if you can survive until Black Friday... :)

Can you get your email on your phone?

BTW, I think the tagging is only an issue if you replace it with an HP motherboard.  In which case you would need to enter some serial number and chassis number info in some top secret crevices of the BIOS.

But I could be wrong.  Last time I replaced a motherboard on an HP was probably 15 years ago.

Edited by Pnambic, Aug 12, 2014 - 5:05 am.

#16 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 12, 2014 - 8:12 pm

yes the replacement board is an HP, it only came up because I asked about the improvements that they were advertising on the replacement board or I would of not known about it.....not sure I can wait that long LOL I had to cut back on posting deals here since I was sharing a computer and she is moving out and wants to take her laptop LOL

I do property management so really need a computer, LOL

#17 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 15, 2014 - 7:35 am

ok, did it, bought the motherboard to replace, their price went down and ebay offered a $30 bonus for purchase over $150 so went ahead and got it, hope it works LOL

#18 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,769 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 15, 2014 - 12:26 pm

Well, you held out almost 3 days... :lmao:

#19 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Aug 15, 2014 - 2:56 pm

I do have Office for my Mac and the cost was a little over $100.00. I just sold my sole proprietor business and in the 12 years I worked I replaced 4 PC's before the Mac. It does have a learning curve, but it's worth it. Best Buy as 18 months no interest so it's easy to buy a Mac.

#20 Stowasser  ONLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,601 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 15, 2014 - 4:10 pm

well been without my computer since the end of May or beginning of June...LOL  it was in and out being looked at for about 3 weeks so waiting until Nov wasn't really practical (things never go out just before Black Fri)

#21 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Aug 19, 2014 - 1:45 am

My Mac mouse has a right click.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users