When does your Christmas tree come down?

Guest outrbanx

Guest outrbanx

I ask this because my wife and I butt heads every year around this time. I'm ready to dismantle it on the 26th. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas and all that, but it's really in the way of progress. That, and well...I'm over it.

However, to listen to her, you'd think that taking it down before New Year's caused a rift in the space-time continuum. :lolrun:

Since I stay at home with the kids, I ask questions via email to her at work. Her last email to me said, "Oh, just take the damn thing down!" and ended with "Go away!" :)

Do I dare start packing up Christmas? :cookiemon

Guest outrbanx

I just suggest that you wait...unless you want to be "cut-off" for a few days!!!! :tongue1:

Hah! By the sound of her tone, that's probably unavoidable.:wife:

Does no one outside of New Orleans understand what "Twelfth Night" means? And no, I'm not talking about the Shakespeare play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_%28holiday%29

Twelfth Night (January 5th? 6th?) is a holiday marked by some branches of Christianity, marking the 12th and final night of the Christmas season.

According to mainstream Christian denominations, namely Catholic Church, the night of twelfth day is on January 5, the eve of the Epiphany celebration (January 6) to commemorate the adoration of the Magi. (Sir James George Frazer, The Golden Bough, 1922: "The last of the mystic twelve days is Epiphany or Twelfth Night ..."). According to esoteric and astrological interpretation of Christmas, the "Twelve Holy Days" start on December 26th, the day following Christmas "holy day", and end on January 6th; therefore the night of January 6th is regarded as the Twelfth Night, the time when the "Rite of Baptism" was performed in early Christianity [1].

Traditions

After Twelfth Night the Carnival season starts, which lasts through Mardi Gras. In some places such as New Orleans, Louisiana, the night of January 6 with the first Carnival celebrations is called Twelfth Night. In some places, Twelfth Night celebrations include food traditions such as the king cake or tortell.

Twelfth Night is when all Christmas Decorations should be removed so as not to bring bad luck upon the home. If decorations are not removed on Twelfth Night, they should stay up all year!

Guest outrbanx

Does no one outside of New Orleans understand what "Twelfth Night" means? And no, I'm not talking about the Shakespeare play.

Nope. New to me!

I can say that the constant tripping over toys because of the lack of walking area around the tree negates any religious value it may hold.:smirk:

Guest outrbanx

after 3 kings our tree comes down............. Jan 6th

Does it count if I watch the film "The Three Kings" and just call it a day? :jester:

I took the tree down last night. I still have another smaller tree up, but that's easy 'cause you just put it in a box. I still have other xmas decorations up that I'll slowly work on. I don't think that I could wait until the 6th to start taking my tree down. It's been up since Thanksgiving- I think that's long enough.

Guest outrbanx

I got all of the other decorations down on Tuesday morning (as soon as she went back to work). This is the only thing left.

I was hoping to start this thread and have people on MY side. I may need names for the police report.

I got all of the other decorations down on Tuesday morning (as soon as she went back to work). This is the only thing left.

I was hoping to start this thread and have people on MY side. I may need names for the police report.

LOL

Honestly, if someone is going to do it & I don't have to...I could care less when it came down as long as it is after Christmas. That was why last year mine came down on the 26th....Hubby was off & I was @ work...he took it down!

Guest outrbanx

This has been an ongoing issue. Last year, I saved up some testosterone, took all of the ornaments and lights off of it right after Christmas and left the actual (bare) tree standing. She couldn't say anything. After all, technically I did not take it down before New Year's.

I don't play chess, but that seemed like a brilliant move to me. :D

Guest outrbanx

Does that make you feel better???

But if I was you, I still wouldn't touch that tree!!!

I could blame it on the kids. That's worked in the past. :D

Nope. New to me!

I can say that the constant tripping over toys because of the lack of walking area around the tree negates any religious value it may hold.:smirk:

So, have or help the kids put the toys away.

You know, it is rather romantic to sit in front of the tree with only the tree lights on, some pillows and snuggly blankets scattered about and see what happens. You may change your mind about leaving that tree up so long.

Guest outrbanx

So, have or help the kids put the toys away.

You know, it is rather romantic to sit in front of the tree with only the tree lights on, some pillows and snuggly blankets scattered about and see what happens. You may change your mind about leaving that tree up so long.

True. Very true. However, I don't want to seem negative, but my daughter can hear people whispering in the living room and comes downstairs. :gd_shake: is the last thing she needs to see at three years old. :eek:

I can't afford the therapy it would involve. Not to mention any therapy she may need afterward.