UPS and/or Amazon totally screwed up (m)

outnumbered

I was wrapping Christmas gifts late last night when I realized that a few things I'd ordered hadn't come. I checked my Amazon account and it said my Dec 15 order should arrive between Dec 20-21, so I checked UPS's site and it said that my order was scheduled for delivery on Dec 27! I was LIVID and called UPS but it was too late, their customer service line was closed till morning. So I called back this morning and was told that it wasn't their fault; Amazon didn't get them the package till the 18th (Sunday) so they couldn't ship it till the 19th (Monday) and so there was no way to get it here in time. Supposedly it's just half an hour away waiting for the next business day to be delivered. I called the local distribution center in a panic and was told they had no record of it in their system as being there. (On my computer it says the last scan was an arrival scan in Louisville...the 800 number for UPS people said that it was actually in Hopkinsville, but the Hopkinsville people said if it's there, it hasn't been scanned in yet and is still waiting to be unloaded) so there was just no way to find it and let me pick it up or anything.

So I called up Amazon to complain to them, and they basically said it was UPS's fault...that even if they got the package on the 18th, that still gave them 5 days (the 19th to 23rd) to get it delivered, and it should have been delivered on the 23rd at the VERY latest no matter the cost to UPS. So because it wasn't, and it was Christmas gifts that won't do me any good to arrive on Tuesday (stocking stuffers and everything)...he would issue me a refund right then on the spot and then when the stuff comes I can just refuse delivery. Ok, but my bank doesn't process stuff on Saturdays so the refund won't really hit my account till Monday or Tuesday. Thankfully a few bill payments I made didn't post either so my account said I had more $$ available than I actually do, so I went and spent that today and hopefully by the time the bills clear, the refund will as well and I will be in the clear.

I also got a $5 promotional credit towards a future purchase, which I find rather piddly as compensation for having to rush out and buy Santa presents with all 3 kids along on Christmas Eve. Yeah, that was fun. I pulled it off by doing it at Walmart and getting a giant foil turkey pan to hide smaller gifts under, and letting the kids look at toys in one aisle while I snuck toys into the cart in the next aisle over, etc...but still--not fun! I had a lot of work to do today and shopping wasn't part of it!

I'm pissed because Amazon's site said order by Dec 16 to use their free shipping and so I ordered on Dec 15 thinking it'd be here. Their delivery estimate was Dec 20-21 and you know how usually things arrive before their estimates. I really thought I'd be fine since I adhered to their deadlines. So honestly I don't know who screwed up--amazon or UPS--but honestly I'm not going to be giving my money to either of them within a month of a holiday again. I will do all toy shopping in person even if it's a PITA to shop for the kids' stuff with them along. And I will be using FedEx for shipping next year even though I will have to drive a half hour out of my way to do it. :splat:

Things have worked out now as far as the kids' gifts, but man, it was sure a PITA to spend 3 hours of my day on the phone and out shopping when I could have been home baking cookies or something. We still have made no Christmas cookies and I honestly don't think we'll have time. I still have a lot to do. It's hard doing it all myself.

Oh no,,,that really sucks! I had a ordered I placed on Dec. 10th that never made it. Seems it got lost somewhere,,,I to had to call Amazon and they blamed UPS. I waited and waited yesterday for it,,,UPS came but with 2 other orders I placed after Dec. 10th. Doesn't make sense to me. This is the first time I have had problems with any order considering the 5 yrs. I have done business with them it isn't a big deal to me. Just wish I had the jacket I ordered come. But I found another one for my dtr. at Olympia Sports that is the same brand name. I am glad they are refunding you, outnumbered, but only $5. to use later on? That isn't much they can afford more than that for your troubles!

Well you ordered on the 15th, and they shipped it on Monday the 19th. That sounds reasonable. UPS on the other hand taking 5 days is not. I would not fault Amazon as much as I would UPS. With that said I think Amazon should give you more than $5.00 for your trouble as I expect the will get more $$ from UPS for failure to honor commitments. Glad it worked out though.

Well you ordered on the 15th, and they shipped it on Monday the 19th. That sounds reasonable. UPS on the other hand taking 5 days is not. I would not fault Amazon as much as I would UPS. With that said I think Amazon should give you more than $5.00 for your trouble as I expect the will get more $$ from UPS for failure to honor commitments. Glad it worked out though.

I think what annoys me most is that they kept blaming each other. Neither one of them would take any responsibility--even when amazon offered me the refund/piddly little credit, they said it was because of UPS's screwup. Honestly I think the fault is with both of them. If Amazon said that their holiday deadline was the 16th and they knew UPS ground takes 5 days, they should have gotten the package to UPS sooner than they normally do. Most businesses step things up around the holidays--they hire more workers, give overtime, do whatever they need to do to handle the extra work. It wouldn't be unreasonable for Amazon to get their orders out faster than normal to ensure Christmas delivery. At the same time, UPS received billing info on the 17th early in the morning and I guess got the package late afternoon on the 18th, a Sunday. Then it didn't actually leave until 11:59 pm on Monday. I think that right there is what delayed my package. If it had gone out first thing in the morning on Monday it ought to have been delivered Friday, but it was held back an entire day. Although at the same time, if Amazon had gotten that package to them on the 16th or even 17th, that probably would have saved the delivery too. So I really think they both screwed up and I just hate that neither one of them will admit it.

But it's over and done with and the kids are still going to have a wonderful Christmas. I will just have a lingering resentment to both Amazon and UPS...probably more so UPS.

I NEVER WANT TO SHOP ONLINE FOR CHRISTMAS NOW I AM GLAD I DO ALL MY SHOPPING IN PERSON I GET ANXIOUS AND CANT WAIT FOR MAIL.

This doesn't happen often,,,this is the first time I have ever had any trouble with any orders. In all that I ordered this year that is the only one,,,I ordered probably 30 or more times online this year. And first time ever in 5 years of ordering online that a package wasn't delivered on time.

This doesn't happen often,,,this is the first time I have ever had any trouble with any orders. In all that I ordered this year that is the only one,,,I ordered probably 30 or more times online this year. And first time ever in 5 years of ordering online that a package wasn't delivered on time.

I agree, it's very rare that a package arrives later than Amazon's estimate, in my experience. It really sucks that the one time it happened was at Christmas though. Normally they are very good but I don't remember in previous years how close to Christmas I placed orders. I'm sure I will shop at Amazon again, but I doubt I will ever order from them 2 weeks before a holiday again. I'll impose my own more conservative cutoffs.

I have been shopping at Amazon for about 9 years and this year was a big disappointment. Very long delays in getting merchandise shipped out...ordered on Nov. 26 and ordered shipped from Amazon on Dec. 15!!! Dec. 14 receive an email that one item would ship out on Dec. 27!!! I got that item at BB later that day, so it was not a popular item in short supply.

The post office was a disaster in getting that package to me...they lied...said they tried delivering and no one home...I was here both times and they never left any notices, then the post office could not find the box. Finally, called the Postmaster and a miracle happened...it was delivered 2 hours later.

Amazon was not helpful when I called either. They said " If package lost we will credit your account when they receive it back" Huh...I said " In this country no package, no pay"

Probably will think long and hard about shopping at Amazon next year.

I would recommend a polite but scathing e-mail to Amazon, explaining your difficulty with this shipment. Detail all of your troubles, disappointment and aggravation and how they will guide your future purchases, do not let it sit with a standard customer service 'rep'. Get it to their corporate offices where it has a better chance of getting to their corporate customer care people. Explain to them in the letter that you want to cancel your Amazon account as you feel that A) they dropped the ball and B) you don't feel they did everything in their power to satisfy you. Since they don't seem to care to satisfy you as a customer, you're taking your business elsewhere. Then the ball's in their court, if they say the standard "sorry for your troubles, hope you shop with us again" then cancel your account immediately and shop elsewhere. The few bucks you might save on a future purchase will cost you more in aggravation as they don't care about keeping your business enough to do more than a $5 credit and you're better off. If they take care of you (as they should) then they may win back your confidence as a customer, it's all up to the business.

It's amazing what a lot of businesses will do when they hear you will shut off your business from them, if they do nothing then I stop buying anything from them. They apparently don't need my business so I'll take it elsewhere, there's plenty of place to buy things online and B&M. I'd gladly pay more to another business than give a business who doesn't care about customers the sale.

$5 is your compensation? Sorry, but that is such bullsh*t. I too recommend an email to Amazon. I would also say you will be following up with phone calls until this matter is resolved to your satisfaction. Tell them you will give them 2-3 business days to call, but then you will begin calling (word this a bit more politely and non-threatening).

Total crap. I can't believe they gave you $5.. and to use at their site.. Ugh. I'd want more compensation and it sent directly to my bank acct, not a cert to use on THEIR site!

Granted Amazon should have gotten the package to them on Friday the 16th, but they didn't. No matter what time it would have gotten there on Saturday, or Sunday it would not have mattered. UPS does not process any ground packages on the weekend. They sit their until ealy Monday at 12am, or Sunday evening around 8pm depending on the sort schedule at that hub. I am sure Amazon was assured by UPS that if they got their packages to them by a certain date they would be delivered in time. Anyway neither should blame each other as that only hurts the customer. Either company or both should have stepped up and admitted the mistake. If it were up to me and I worked at Amazon I would have refunded your order and issued a credit = to that amount to be used in the future. If I worked at UPS I would have given your a coupon to ship a future order anywhere free of charge. You still would not have been happy, but you would be a little more satisfied.

Lastly in the future, if you are trying to find a package at UPS, call the local hub, and ask to be connected to the feeder Manager. He oversees all the trucks that are there. He will know which truck it was in, and if it had been unloaded. Even if it had not been scanned there is a record of which truck is from where so they will know. If its full and not unloaded there is little hope, but chances are it might have been and its there somewhere. If it's early enough they might unload the truck anyway to satisfy you but not likely.

Lastly in the future, if you are trying to find a package at UPS, call the local hub, and ask to be connected to the feeder Manager. He oversees all the trucks that are there. He will know which truck it was in, and if it had been unloaded. Even if it had not been scanned there is a record of which truck is from where so they will know. If its full and not unloaded there is little hope, but chances are it might have been and its there somewhere. If it's early enough they might unload the truck anyway to satisfy you but not likely.

OK, good info. I did call the local distribution center or wherever it was that my package was said to be--I did not know to ask for the feeder manager though, I only talked to the person who answered the phone. I'm honestly not convinced my package is even there as the online tracking is showing it as being in Louisville. The person at the 800 number for UPS said that HER screen was showing it as being in Hopkinsville, which was strange because she was listing the same date and time as I was looking at, but saying a different city. So I'm wondering if maybe it really was not in Hopkinsville and that is why the employee at that hub could not locate any record of the package being there. But thanks--if this sort of thing ever happens again I will ask for the feeder manager.

I wonder if there was a big jump in people shopping online this year that companies were not prepared for. I had one package from Amazon that FedEx had Tues at 2pm at the local hub. But they didn't deliver it until 4pm on Friday! When I called Wed and Thur to find out when my package would be delivered I was told basically that they didn't have enough people to deliver everything. Sounds like UPS may have had similar problems as well.

Well if it was in Louisville, they probably would not find it. It is UPSs largest hub. 2,000,000 packages per day or so. One other little tip I hope no one ever has to use. If you package is damaged or destroyed, you ask for overgoods. Thats were those boxes go. No sure how large your town is, but you could also ask for the manager for your "center" (oversees your particular city it the hub if it serves several cities) ie I would ask for the manager over Haltom City.

Well it wasn't just amazon -- target.com/FedEx had issues too...my BIL ordered a giant obnoxious and loud fire truck for my son, ordered two-day delivery on the 15th, and it got here the 24th around noon...had to listen to him scream every time he called...ugh...but then, when it got here, it came not on a fedex truck, but a Penske truck...weird. Maybe they had to rent some to take up the slack? Oh well -- we tried to hide the thing, hoping maybe we could take it back to Target and buy a big screen television or maybe a new car with the credit, but he insisted we open it so he could play with it...*sigh*

When I drove by our local UPS hub last Tuesday on my way to a doctor appointment, there were LOTS of Penske trucks backed in there. I remember noting that about 1/2 the trucks were rentals. Our same UPS man has been delivering our stuff in his same UPS truck, but apparently they've had to put a lot of extra people and/or vehicles on for the season.

I agree with txguy by writing a letter to the company, letting them know everything that has happened. If the company cares to keep you as a customer they will do more than give you $5. I have written to companies by email and have gotten back responses by mail and some were good and some weren't, but they do like to know what is going on and what people think of their business and service. It lets them know where they might need to make changes.

I ordered a DVD from Amazon on 12/16 using the free super saver shipping since they did say that they would guarantee it shipped for Christmas. All this week, I kept looking at my account and it kept stating that the item would be shipping soon. This was an item that was labelled "usually ships within 24 hours." On Wednesday, I e-mailed Amazon and they found out that I never got a "delayed shipping" e-mail so they gave me a $10 coupon. I was still worried I wouldn't get the item but miraculously, it was shipped Wednesday evening and I got the package late Friday evening (12/23). It said it was UPS 2-day shipping so it looks like someone must have dropped the ball on Amazon's side not preparing the item to be shipped. I've never had problems with them in the past but luckily I caught that the item never shipped or I would be in the same boat as the OP realizing I was missing that gift.

My mom sent two packages to my cousins in South Carolina. One box made it in great time, the other one still hasn't arrived. My mom tracked the package on line yesterday and the message she got was that the package was "mis-sent" and was in a town a couple hundred miles away waiting for the next business day so that it could be shipped to the correct place. Perhaps that's what happened with your package. In which case UPS needs to receive a very strongly worded letter expressing your dissatisfaction.

This happens to me all the time with Amazon/UPS... and they are right next to each other here in Lexington. I had a DVD take 20 days to move a half mile down the road from the Amazon warehouse to the UPS shipping outlet right next door. I wish Amazon had a pickup window at the warehouse. I'd get these packages myself.

Honestly UPS drives me nuts. They pre-fill the "sorry you were not home" delivery notices. I have caught our UPS drivers trying to run to my door with those slips, not even knocking on my door first. I've surprised them a couple times by seeing them coming without my packages.

Half my Christmas didn't make it under our tree this year. My dad shipped a couple boxes of presents for my family last Monday. UPS didn't try to deliver it until Friday night. I was of course out when they came, so half our the family's presents were missing from our tree. If they had attempted delivery on Thursday (as expected) I would have had a chance to ask them to leave it at the warehouse for me to pickup myself Friday. I was surprised they were not even running a half day on Saturday for those last minute Christmas shipments. Just wasn't the same Christmas experience this year because of UPS.

I ordered something from Amazon.com on the 21st I think-- right at their deadline for guaranteed Christmas delivery. On the 22nd, I noticed my account said that it should arrive in January. So I called Amazon's customer service, and she concurred that it couldn't ship out for 2-4 weeks. I reminded her that it was guaranteed Christmas delivery. She said "Oh" and changed the shipping method to 2 day delivery free of charge.

I received my items the next day. Huh. What do you think would have happened if I hadn't have called them? Other than that, I haven't had any problems with them -- shipping has been super quick.

But I think I'll go start a thread about other sites that didn't fullfill their "Guaranteed Christmas Delivery" claims......

Well my bank account is now overdrawn because the stupid "instant" rebate still hasn't posted to my account. I knew it wasn't going to hit instantly, but I was hoping that the credit would post before my purchases did. (Used my debit card as a credit card to delay posting to my account.)

So here is what I just sent off to Amazon:

-------------

I am writing to express my immense dissatisfaction with my Amazon.com order that did not arrive in time for Christmas, and the poor way that my earlier complaint about this matter was handled.

On December 15, I placed an order for various Christmas toys for my children. Your site said an order placed by Dec. 16 would arrive in time for Christmas, so I felt confident ordering these stocking stuffers and gifts. Delivery estimate was Dec. 20-21. My order had still not arrived by December 23--in fact, UPS was showing delivery scheduled for December 27--and so I called both UPS and Amazon to ask what had happened to my order. I was told by UPS that Amazon did not get my order to them in time for them to have it delivered to me by the 23rd. I was told by Amazon that UPS had plenty of time so the fault was theirs. The customer service representative at Amazon.com that I spoke to on the phone gave me an "instant" refund for my order to my credit card, and offered a $5 promotional credit for a future order.

As a result of Amazon.com's failure to get my order to me by the date promised, I spent three hours on Christmas Eve on the phone with UPS, on the phone with Amazon, and running out to stores to find replacement toys for my children. I wound up not having enough time to bake Christmas cookies to leave for Santa, as is our tradition. I also had to buy stocking stuffers with my children along! I can assure you that is not an easy feat to accomplish. I can also assure you that my time is worth FAR more to me than $1.67 per hour, which is what your $5 promotional credit breaks down to. I wasted three hours of my time that I could have been spending enjoying holiday traditions with my children. My husband is deployed this year so there was nobody else around to do the last-minute shopping. My bank account is now overdrawn because the "instant" credit still has not posted to my bank account, so my Christmas Eve purchases have bounced.

This whole experience has left a terrible taste in my mouth and I am certainly in no hurry to shop again at Amazon, or ship with UPS. Hearing the two involved companies simply blame each other did nothing to reassure me that my business is important, and a $5 credit on a future purchase does not compare to the great inconvenience this experience has caused me. I am quite disappointed in Amazon.com this holiday season.

--------------

So we'll see what they do, if anything. I'm pretty irritated though. I'm going to have to raid my neighbor's place for dishwashing detergent and cat food to get me through till their "instant" credit posts as I am $6 in the hole at the moment.

I only order a few things because i am leery that5 they wont come on time. My sister wanted a stilla makeup set that she showed me from Nordstrom's online. I asked her if she had seen it in store but no it was only available online. I orderd it . It make it here on time barley but when she opened it the makeup was broken. She is going to return it in store.

This happens to me all the time with Amazon/UPS... and they are right next to each other here in Lexington. I had a DVD take 20 days to move a half mile down the road from the Amazon warehouse to the UPS shipping outlet right next door. I wish Amazon had a pickup window at the warehouse. I'd get these packages myself.

Honestly UPS drives me nuts. They pre-fill the "sorry you were not home" delivery notices. I have caught our UPS drivers trying to run to my door with those slips, not even knocking on my door first. I've surprised them a couple times by seeing them coming without my packages.

Half my Christmas didn't make it under our tree this year. My dad shipped a couple boxes of presents for my family last Monday. UPS didn't try to deliver it until Friday night. I was of course out when they came, so half our the family's presents were missing from our tree. If they had attempted delivery on Thursday (as expected) I would have had a chance to ask them to leave it at the warehouse for me to pickup myself Friday. I was surprised they were not even running a half day on Saturday for those last minute Christmas shipments. Just wasn't the same Christmas experience this year because of UPS.

I've caught UPS doing that on several occassions too, the driver takes the time to fill out the "sorry we missed you" note but won't bother bringing the package OR ringing the bell. Twice I caught the same driver doing the exact same thing, I was literally watching out the window for the truck and saw it coming he ran up and stuck the note on the door and ran off. I opened the door and he stopped dead and looked like guilty of being caught red handed, I asked him why he didn't knock and he said "I didn't think you were home". I told him "that's why you're supposed to knock, assumption is the mother of all f**kups, don't assume". He went and got my package, I took my time putting it down and signing his little electronic log book. The second time I caught him a week later doing the same thing, this time he bolted into his truck and I bolted after him yelling the whole time. He finally looked at me with annoyance at getting caught while he was trying to take off. This time I chewed his a$$ out, got his name and called UPS. Of course they never called me back, the CS rep apologized on the phone but that was it. That's why I avoid using UPS at all costs.

Well, let's hope Amazon does the right thing and takes care of you outnumbered. If not then post it here so we can all be advised of how they treat you, that also plays into other peoples purchasing decisions as well. There's a ripple effect when people get screwed by a company, others who hear of their experiences may avoid dealing with the company as well.

I think you have a very good letter, Debbie. I hope they get it all straightened out for you. I had a thread a while back about a bike i bought from Amazon, but it was shipped FedEx. I got the same thing on the phone, it was the other co.'s fault. But, at least we found our pkg and picked it up ourselves. I hope they get it fixed & pay your overdraft! I have made a company do that before. Good luck!

I've caught UPS doing that on several occassions too, the driver takes the time to fill out the "sorry we missed you" note but won't bother bringing the package OR ringing the bell. Twice I caught the same driver doing the exact same thing, I was literally watching out the window for the truck and saw it coming he ran up and stuck the note on the door and ran off. I opened the door and he stopped dead and looked like guilty of being caught red handed, I asked him why he didn't knock and he said "I didn't think you were home". I told him "that's why you're supposed to knock, assumption is the mother of all f**kups, don't assume". He went and got my package, I took my time putting it down and signing his little electronic log book. The second time I caught him a week later doing the same thing, this time he bolted into his truck and I bolted after him yelling the whole time. He finally looked at me with annoyance at getting caught while he was trying to take off. This time I chewed his a$$ out, got his name and called UPS. Of course they never called me back, the CS rep apologized on the phone but that was it. That's why I avoid using UPS at all costs.

At least I am not alone. It pisses me off that they operate this way. I can see not wanting to carry a heavy package to each door to find out the person is not home, but they should at the minimum go up to the door, knock, wait 60 seconds and if someone answers go back to the truck and get the darn package. Pre-filling out those notices is just plain lazy. I've complained at least a half dozen times to UPS customer service, but they evidently don't pass down my complaint to the local office.

My dad shipped out 3-day select for our Christmas presents on 12/19. Here is is 12/28 and I still don't have our Christmas presents. I wasted yesterday's lunch hour driving half an hour to the UPS facility to find out UPS loaded my packages on the truck even though I ordered last Friday to hold it for customer pickup. I had a slip for the 2nd delivery attempt on my door yesterday, so I called at 6pm and asked them to please hold the frigging packages for me to pickup today. The UPS rep named Sula (I got her name) guaranteed it would be held for pickup until 1/4/06. I tracked it this morning and the packages are on the truck AGAIN. I just raised hell with UPS and someone from the local facility finally called me back and is attempting to get the driver to meet me somewhere on my lunch hour to give me my packages. Someone should not go through this much trouble to get their damn Christmas packages. I didn't intend to waste another lunch hour today doing the same thing.

Here's my tracking info:

Package Progress:

Dec 28, 2005

12:41 A.M.

OUT FOR DELIVERY

Dec 27, 2005

1:44 P.M.

-------------------------

THE RECEIVER WAS NOT AVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 3RD DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

Dec 23, 2005

7:37 P.M.

A DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST FOR THIS PACKAGE WILL BE PROCESSED;AS REQUESTED, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY AT THEIR CONVENIENCE. THIS MUST BE WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS

2:36 P.M.

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

5:58 A.M.

OUT FOR DELIVERY

Dec 22, 2005

11:29 P.M.

DEPARTURE SCAN

Dec 19, 2005

11:27 P.M.

ORIGIN SCAN

6:37 P.M.

BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

1:34 P.M.

As I was writing this UPS called again and wants me to drive all the way home (20 minute drive from work) to meet the UPS driver with my packages. I hope they don't screw this up too.