Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Help support GottaDeal.com and use these links when shopping online this week. For more stores, see our store directory.
Walmart.com Target.com Kohls.com Amazon.com BestBuy.com Sears.com ToysRUs.com
SamsClub.com eBay.com Dell.com Groupon.com HomeDepot.com Staples.com Cabelas.com

Photo

Router Recommendations?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Cinnamonhuskies  OFFLINE  

Cinnamonhuskies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Feb 17, 2014 - 4:17 am

Looking to replace a 5 yr old Netgear router.

We now live in a house that has one set of interior cord wood walls (log cabin-ish) and the wireless is struggling to reach the bedrooms from the living room.

What is a good, dependable router?

Looking at this one: 

http://www.amazon.co...=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

$50 is a good price....

Wondering if the more expensive ones ($125 and up) are worth it.

In memory of Cinnamon 1998-2010

#2 Pnambic  ONLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,741 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Feb 18, 2014 - 8:35 am

Can you tell us what your old router is?  Make and model?  Then we can see if it already has features that we would be recommending that just aren't cutting it in your current setup.

If your old router is a wireless G router, then upgrading to a wireless N router will improve your network's range.

But this is also dependent on your devices being wireless N compatible, else you'll need to upgrade them as well.

Sometimes simply relocating the router to a more central location in the house will provide better coverage for your home.

Another option would be to get a second router for the other end of the house and pipe the network there via one of those clever AC network adapters.

Just a couple ideas.  We can fine tune your solution based on what you currently have.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#3 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,992 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Feb 18, 2014 - 2:08 pm

I will second all of that.

With a little work, you can get a router that will do repeating for around $20.  But you will have to flash it yourself.  I personally have to run 3 routers to cover my house.

#4 Pnambic  ONLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,741 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Feb 19, 2014 - 10:18 am

I will second all of that.

With a little work, you can get a router that will do repeating for around $20.  But you will have to flash it yourself.  I personally have to run 3 routers to cover my house.

Yup, I use an old Netgear router as my primary because it lets me manually assign IP addresses (which I've found makes sharing a network printer a LOT easier), flashed a Linksys with DD-WRT to turn it into a wireless bridge for the other end of the house and then use a cheap Belkin to rebroadcast my network from the Linksys for that side of the house.  I placed the Linksys (bridge) in my home theater stack so all my components there (Blu Ray, HD-DVD, TV and DirecTV receiver) can connect right to the network directly instead of using wireless.  What I saved on not having to buy a Blu Ray player with built in wireless more than paid for the Linksys all by itself.

Edited by Pnambic, Feb 19, 2014 - 10:18 am.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#5 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,992 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Feb 22, 2014 - 12:35 pm

I'm using $20 Rosewill routers that routinely go on sale for $20

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users