Ladys please help a man buy his wife makeup!

Cwilliams

Ok, I'm another one of those husbands who is doing the same thing this year except I'm needing some advice from the ladies here. My wife has had issues with her skin being dry and as the day wears on I see her makeup dries up as well, looks a bit powdery on the face (for lack of a better term). I keep saying to her she should look into other makeups but she never does, she sticks with what she knows. I did get her a bottle of this liquid makeup this weekend at Kohl's, forget the name right now but got her interested in it and will wait to see how it works when she tries it.

Any advice from the ladies as to good, easy on the skin, long lasting makeup that doesn't appear to dry out? I have NO clue about makeup but would like to surprise her with something better for her skin, she seems to be a bit lazy or hesitant to try anything different.

Txguy - You say she just sticks with what she knows. Could it be because she has never had anyone show her exactly what she does need and she's afraid to experiment and do worse? If so, how about this: Is there a Merle Norman cosmetics studio near you? They do free "makeup analysis" (for lack of a better word LOL!) and could teach her just what her skin needs, both in form (liquid, powder, etc) and colors. Of course they want you to buy their makeup (it's excellent but pricey) but I have never had anyone not be willing to explain what to look for in "other brands" also. (Oh, and she will look gorgous when they're finished, so plan to take her out to dinner to show her off afterwards! ;)

Thanks so much mstacks, I think that would be a great starting point! I'm not sure what it is about makeup but she goes through stages of wanting stuff better for her skin and then not caring and just buying what she knows. l just want to make sure she finds what she needs and is happy.

Just make sure she knows you're doing this "for" her, as a "treat" ...not because you don't like the way she looks now! (Might not hurt to have this thread handy to show her just in case. ;) ;) :D

Gee gals, what would some of us do for a nice husband like these two, huh? LOL!

txguy, is she using a good moisturizer on her skin at all times? This would help a lot. Look into some of the Origins products. I am one of the fortunate ones who doesn't need to wear full makeup. Moisturizer, blush (I use same color on eyes and cheeks), a little eyeliner, mascara, and occasionally lip color. Is your wife's skin in good condition that she could do without base? If so, have her give it a try on the weekend and see what she thinks.

txguy, is she using a good moisturizer on her skin at all times? This would help a lot. Look into some of the Origins products. I am one of the fortunate ones who doesn't need to wear full makeup. Moisturizer, blush (I use same color on eyes and cheeks), a little eyeliner, mascara, and occasionally lip color. Is your wife's skin in good condition that she could do without base? If so, have her give it a try on the weekend and see what she thinks.

You're right a good day moisturizer and a good night cream may be the ticket and Origins is some of the best, but I also like Neutrogena moisturizers and Philosophy (but unless you live near a Sephora Philosophy is out).

I also only wear Bare Escentuals makeup cause it is all natural, I haven't had any problems with my skin in the 4 years I have been using it. A container of it lasts me for a full year or more depending on how often I wear it. It lasts all day, I don't have the makeup lines or the dreaded separating during the day and it NEVER looks chalky. Bare Escentuals can be found on QVC, at Ulta or Sephora.

Thank you ladies for the kind words, unfortunately I don't have any single brothers. :(

Great Dane Mom, her skin's not in 'bad' shape she just comments about it a lot that it gets dry and bothers her. It's been better since we moved from up north down to Texas, winters aren't as cold here so it's easier on her skin. She tried the stuff I picked up for her from Kohl's last week and she liked it, it's a liquid base. She's been a bit under the weather this week so she's not been up to worrying about makeup much. lol She laughed when I told her about the sale at CVS, first she looked at me strange wondering how I knew there was a sale and then I told her about this thread and she got a kick out of it.

I will check into the Origins stuff, maybe if she likes it she'll use it more often. We've talked about that before, I explained to her if she's having skin irritation she needs to moisturize every day and especially in the evenings. Only reason I know about this is from my time in the service, every night you make sure to take care of your feet (powder and moisturize if you can) and boots. Same with your face in harsh conditions, if you don't protect your face it'll hurt like hell. lol

I'm going to also look into the Bare Escentuals stuff, isn't that the Bare Minerals thing I've seen commercials for? That stuff good?

Thank you ladies for the kind words, unfortunately I don't have any single brothers. :(

Great Dane Mom, her skin's not in 'bad' shape she just comments about it a lot that it gets dry and bothers her. It's been better since we moved from up north down to Texas, winters aren't as cold here so it's easier on her skin. She tried the stuff I picked up for her from Kohl's last week and she liked it, it's a liquid base. She's been a bit under the weather this week so she's not been up to worrying about makeup much. lol She laughed when I told her about the sale at CVS, first she looked at me strange wondering how I knew there was a sale and then I told her about this thread and she got a kick out of it.

I will check into the Origins stuff, maybe if she likes it she'll use it more often. We've talked about that before, I explained to her if she's having skin irritation she needs to moisturize every day and especially in the evenings. Only reason I know about this is from my time in the service, every night you make sure to take care of your feet (powder and moisturize if you can) and boots. Same with your face in harsh conditions, if you don't protect your face it'll hurt like hell. lol

I'm going to also look into the Bare Escentuals stuff, isn't that the Bare Minerals thing I've seen commercials for? That stuff good?

That would be it!! It's in powder form and takes some getting use to when applying cause a little goes a loooong way. But it is so worth it!! The majority of women wear a medium in color, I use medium and dark and mix it myself to get the color I want. Before I found it I had used every makeup under the sun and was never happy with it, but I haven't used anything but this since I found it. Believe me when another woman notices that your skin looks good and they have no clue you are wearing a foundation it's good stuff!! *LOL* And a good moisturizer underneath is a must!!!

That would be it!! It's in powder form and takes some getting use to when applying cause a little goes a loooong way. But it is so worth it!! The majority of women wear a medium in color, I use medium and dark and mix it myself to get the color I want. Before I found it I had used every makeup under the sun and was never happy with it, but I haven't used anything but this since I found it. Believe me when another woman notices that your skin looks good and they have no clue you are wearing a foundation it's good stuff!! *LOL* And a good moisturizer underneath is a must!!!

Do tell where to buy this? :trampolin I am forever searching for a good foundation.

Maybe he did what I did and bought a ton of stuff at the Bath and Body Works big sale prior to Thanksgiving. I only spent like $80 and bought about 15 different bubble baths, shower gels and some body splashes. Should last her a while. That goes along with the VS Heavenly perfume I bought her, she deserves to be spoiled. :)

Thanks again ladies for the helpful information, it came in very handy. I went to Origins and spent a bunch of money but she's really happy with all the cleanser, tonic, etc etc stuff I got. Also picked her up the 'starter kit' of the Bare Escentuals makeup and she really likes it, so glad for the help ladies!

Question for those of you using the Bare Essentials -- I have rosacea, so good foundation coverage is a must for me. I've wanted to try this stuff, but was afraid I wouldn't get very good coverage. Can you comment?

When I was younger; before sunscreen I was in the sun most of my young life, we spent every weekend at the lake, so sunburns were just part of summer. I have pigmentation changes that are quite prominent on my face, BE covers it without my face looking like I have a mask on, I don't have to use a lot to get it to cover. Try an introductory kit first and see if it works for you!!

Thanks again ladies for the helpful information, it came in very handy. I went to Origins and spent a bunch of money but she's really happy with all the cleanser, tonic, etc etc stuff I got. Also picked her up the 'starter kit' of the Bare Escentuals makeup and she really likes it, so glad for the help ladies!

Good I'm glad she was happy with her gifts and on top of that you get brownie points!!! Way to go, you're a good hubby!!!