Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Hard Drive Crashed...question on recovering data to a portable HD

7 replies to this topic

#1 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 18, 2013 - 6:19 pm

My old reliable 200X computer finally bit the dust and, you guessed it, nothing was backed up.  The IT guy at my office was in one day and offered to recover the data from my hard drive that died to a new portable HD.  He said he thinks he got all of the data files, but there were a lot of them & to let him know if he missed anything.  Well, finally got my new & improved computer up & running and trying to move files to it.  I'm missing some files now that I'm looking for them.  Instead of taking the thing back to the office & waiting for him to come back (could be weeks), I'd like to try to get the data myself.  He had a set of wires running from my old/dead drive to the PC in the office, then to the portable HD.  Anyone know what exactly he might have been using so I can get those items to finish recovering my data?  Any special software needed for this kind of transfer?  Looked to me that he was just moving the data thru Windows Explorer, but I'm not sure.

Any advice is much appreciated!!  TIA!

Live, Laugh, Love...It's All Good!:D

#2 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 18, 2013 - 6:43 pm

Recovery software is generally required if you deleted the information.  The wires were probably just the regular internal wires.  Your external drive would be hooked up like you did to see what is on it.  The dead drive should be hooked up using the internal cable and power cable just like you were hooking it up to your computer as an extra drive.  You can purchase a kit that can turn an internal drive into an external hdd.  He may have had one that forgoes the case as those are easier to hook up temporarily.

#3 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,977 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 18, 2013 - 7:03 pm

laddhorn...a kit like this would work ?  http://www.amazon.co...ve recovery kit

#4 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 19, 2013 - 3:30 pm

That is what I was thinking about. 

How old was your old computer?  Do you know which type of hdd you are trying to recover?  (IDE or SATA)?  You can probably purchase just the "needed" stuff for your hdd instead of a generic like the linked one.

Edited by laddhorn, Dec 19, 2013 - 3:32 pm.

#5 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,995 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 20, 2013 - 6:05 pm

I actually really like the generic kits like the one listed.  I use one to recover data from drives all the time.

It really depends on why the data was lost... if the drive is okay, and your OS just crapped out... those are a great way to go.  If your drive is actually failing, the recovery can be much more difficult and costly.

#6 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,977 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Mar 16, 2014 - 9:15 am

Update...got the kit from Amazon.com for $18-20 total, hooked it up, recovered everything in good order! 

NOW...my newer Dell desktop hard drive has failed...exactly 15 days after the warranty expired...kid you not.  This time, though, the drive is not spinning at all.  Any thoughts on recovering data options in this case? 

Dell won't help of course, they want me to spend another $240 just to get a new drive/install fee.   (Guess who won't be getting another dime from me EVER...third Dell to bite the dust early in as much as three years.)

#7 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Mar 16, 2014 - 4:11 pm

You don't have very good luck.  On your "new" computer, just replace the hdd yourself.  Fry's has a 2 TB one for $99 currently.  http://www.frys.com/...SAT date:031514

I would install it myself.  Much cheaper than $240.  You will need the recovery disks (you did create them when you first got it, right?).  You can purchase them typically from Ebay, or direct from DELL.

If you hdd is no longer spinning, you may be in a pickle.  You need to get it to spin to read at all.  Otherwise, you will need to send it off. 

#8 peppysfireball  OFFLINE  

peppysfireball

• 2,035 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Mar 18, 2014 - 7:31 am

3 months later? I have always had 3 year warranties with Dell. If I didn't , I would have purchased a cheap one through square trade. I never go without the long warranty> I buy only Dell, but had to have a motheboard replaced after 2 weeks once and then again at 1 year mark, had to have ethernet port replaced 3 times at 2 year mark. Had speakers replaced directly out of box. 

Edited by peppysfireball, Mar 18, 2014 - 7:33 am.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users