Where are the sales?

len_mullen

I guess it depends on what you're looking for but the only thing I paid full-price for was the Xbox One and that was a given...everything else on my kid's list has all been on sale and most of it was great deals. Just ordered a few last minute blu-rays and they were pretty cheap as well.
  • Like 3

I'm all done, but I've still been seeing some great deals.  I did mostly Amazon this year, they still have a lot of great sales going on and you can still get your stuff in time for Christmas.  I guess it really all depends on what you're looking for.  This year I was out for video games, movies, toys, cookware, power tools, and odds and ends. Managed to not pay retail on a single thing.

• Like 1

I agree with those who say the sales have been pretty good.  In fact I would say the difference between Black Friday and other sales has been narrowed somewhat.  It is always the case though that higher end items (like the 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX) and new items (Xbox One) don't get discounted much because people shopping for them tend to be less price sensitive and are focused more on features and quality (or just "new").

I was thinking about getting a set of "medium range" surround sound speakers--not a chance they would be on Black Friday sale and little chance of other significant sale.  Same for the middle-higher end SLR camera I bought last year.

i got my HDX today.  Got it at staples.  They only had the 16g and 32g versions, but 32g was fine for me.  It came with a $25 amazon gift card, so $404.  i had $40 in rewards, so $364.  I wanted to use gift cards to effect a 20% discount, but the manager was not particularly cooperative.  I ended up using four $50 gift certificates and a $25 gift card.  All of that cost me $180.  Plus $164 on my discover card for $344 out of pocket.  I get 5% staples rewards on everything except the rewards, so $19.45 back.  All considered, $325 for a 32g 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX.  I'm OK with that, but concerned about my relationship with staples going forward...

The newly enforced rule is five gift cards per order.  I usually take all my discover cash back as staples gift cards to enjoy a 20% discount on their best prices.  I'm  premier member, so I have six months to spend rewards and I alwarys recycle 20 carts, so my rewards is always at least $240.  Add five gift cards to this and I can spend $365 at the maximum discount.  I can increase that to $490 if I leverage the online gift card purchases, I can go $240 + $250 or $590.  

I have $318 in cash back, which would be worth $380 in staples gift cards, but I need to look at other options since I already have $325 in staples gift cards.

Another change that has impacted my behavior is their ink promotions.  I used to buy ink when they offered the recycling bonuses.  This resulted in the accumulation of ink.  Now, the promotions are less attractive and I have to spend $30 every 180 days, so I only buy what I need when I need it and wait as long as possible to make the purchase.  Last time I bought ink was $33.99 on 8/26/13.  Six months from that would be 2/26/14, but I will recycle on 2/25 and delay my ink purchase until march.  

I'm not sure these changes are good for Staples.  I know they are not good for me.  

Potential suitors for cash back...

LL Bean: 20/25, 40/50

Old Navy: 20/25, 40/50

Crutchfield: 20/25, 40/50
Bed Bath & Beyond: 20/25, 40/50

Or I may switch to a different rewards card.  Recommendations welcome.  We're planning to fly to Orlando in two years for some Disney.
Edited by len_mullen