Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Wall Mount for 42" Plasma

8 replies to this topic

#1 brian6464  OFFLINE  

brian6464

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 2, 2013 - 10:05 pm

I'm looking to mount a 42" Panosonic Viera plasma TV.  Owners manual says it weighs 77 pounds but provides no specific info about wall mounting.  I want a full motion mount, so one that moves away from the wall and turns side to side.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a good brand or price point for this?

My local Best Buy has a Sanus mount for 40" to 50" TV's for $179.99. 

Is Sanus a reputable brand?  Thanks.

#2 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,940 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 3, 2013 - 5:52 am

I would not spend that much on a mount.

Check out monoprice.com

They have a huge selection of quality mounts at a good price. Check out model 8588. It seems like it would more than meet your needs for $45.

#3 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 3, 2013 - 9:07 am

I'd second the monoprice.com recommendation.  We have at least 15 of their mounts on our campus and they've all been good.  You'll probably spend under $50 shipped for any one you choose.  The one we use in most cases is product number 8585.  The one Scott recommended will give you a little more extension / swivel off of the wall, but you'll want to make sure you use the lag bolts into wall studs if you plan on swinging it out at all.  

#4 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,642 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 3, 2013 - 9:11 am

+1 for monoprice

I got one years ago for my 42" plasma to mount above the mantle.

For anything over 50 lbs though, I'd probably look for one that mounts to more than one stud - I like the one Scott linked to.

I know I paid less than $50 for mine and it extends more than a foot from the wall, rotates left and right and tilts up and down +/- 15 degrees.

Edited by Pnambic, Dec 3, 2013 - 9:13 am.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#5 brian6464  OFFLINE  

brian6464

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 12, 2014 - 12:01 pm

So I purchased the 8588 wall mount.  It will work perfectly. 

Problem with install though.  I put up the wall plate and mounted the brackets to the tv.  When we went to drop the brackets over the upper ridge of the wall plate, they would not drop into place.  We even took a hammer and lightly tapped down on the top of the bracket.  Even with a 75lb tv and light tapping of hammer, it would still not drop into place.

I then took one bracket off the tv and played with it on the wall plate.  Seems like either the bracket opening is to small, the mounting plate edge is too thick or some combination of the two.  The black coating is adding some thickness, but you'd think that would come off as I start hammering.

TvMount.jpg

You can see in the pic that it does not drop into place. You will also notice that the coating on top of the bracket is gone from me hammering on it quite hard.  Still would not drop.

Anyone else have issues such as this?  I already spoke to Monoprice and sent tech support pictures.  Even they said it should just drop into place.  My wife said we just file it down to fit and I called BS on that since this is a new product and we should not have to defile it to work properly.  I'll be getting a new one, but I'm just concerned that the next one will have the same problem.

Can anyone confirm on these mounts that the upper bracket should just drop down completely onto the wall plate with the weight of the tv / light pressure and should not require hammering into place.

Thanks.

#6 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,642 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 14, 2014 - 8:17 am

Just one thought.  Are you sure the plate the TV hangs from is not upside down?

(Just trying to think of mistakes I might make. :))

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#7 brian6464  OFFLINE  

brian6464

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 15, 2014 - 10:58 am

Just one thought.  Are you sure the plate the TV hangs from is not upside down?

(Just trying to think of mistakes I might make. :))

Good point.  I did think about that and tried it both ways with no luck  Plus, the "instructions" show the built in level at the top, which is how I have it arranged.  So I assume I have it set up correctly.

At any rate, a new one is showing up in a couple days, so I'll give it another shot.

#8 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jan 15, 2014 - 4:34 pm

You may want to "test" it before you go through the trouble of installing it.  I've ordered 3 different mounts from monoprice and they have always worked just fine.  I guess you were just "lucky". 

#9 hpowers  OFFLINE  

hpowers

• 3,841 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 20, 2014 - 2:24 pm

I have the same mount. did the new one come in yet?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users