How much of dinner can I cook ahead of time?

Cinnamonhuskies

My oldest son informed me this afternoon and that his wife's family has moved their Thanksgiving Day dinner plans up from 6pm tomorrow because of the BF sales!! So now our dinner has to be moved up to on-the-table-at noon because they have to leave at 2 for a 2 hour drive from our house to her parents' place. (they live exactly halfway between each parent to keep things 'fair')

Ridiculous? Yeah whatever.

So I have pies ready.....and that's it. 

Oh and they are 21 and don't cook so don't even think about asking them to bring something.

So to simplify things I am keeping food to :turkey roasted with potatoes, carrots and stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, corn, mashed potatoes, pan gravy, rolls, canned cranberries, pie.  No one but me around here eats a salad or green veggie so why bother.

Can i make the green bean and sweet potato dishes today and warm up tomorrow? Maybe buy already made rolls tonight. What about the mashed potatoes? Day old potatoes? Maybe I should just make instant......no feeling very into it now..... they'll be over at 8am tomorrow and I'll have to get the turkey in the oven by 9 at least.

what's good warmed up for TDay dinner?

what's good warmed up for TDay dinner?

Pizza :P

Seriously though, your plan sounds good. I made sweet potato casserole ahead this year and will just microwave it when we get to our friends house. And I like instant potatoes LOL doctor them up with some real butter & milk and call it done.

I wonder why, at 21, that they can't bring anything? Tell them to bring the rolls or something store bought.

Edited by speeddiva

I make as much of mine as I can the night before and refrigerate. Some stuff can't be cooked until tomorrow though like the turkey, lol. I make my sweet potatoes, green beans, dressing, broccoli casserole, corn, cole slaw, potato salad and well, you get the picture the night before. All of my desserts get made the day before. I make my turkey, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, rolls and other stuff that I don't think taste good when made a day ahead of time on the day of Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I don't cook a lot of things ahead of time but I certainly do a lot of prep work.  

I've already made my desserts, drinks, etc. but everything else is prepped like potatoes peeled and cut, stuffing made put together, turkey in the bag and pan, ready to just turn the oven on, etc.

With your meal, I'm sure you could prep the sweet potatoes, green beans, potatoes ahead of time so everything just has to be turned on tomorrow.   I don't think that reheated thanksgiving dinner is that appetizing either, so I just do as much of prep work beforehand as possible.  If oven space and time is an issue with getting everything cooked, I would err on the side of cooking the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, gravy and corn ahead of time as those are not dishes that really suffer in quality from being reheated.  

• Like 1

Jade mmmm mac and cheese I might go to your house instead LOL...what's your broccoli casserole? I like the sounds of that.

Come right on. :)

My broccoli casserole is 2 bags of frozen brocc florets cooked, small block of velveeta, about a half jar of cheese whiz, around 3 packags of ritz crackers and butter. Cook broccoli until it's tender. Drain and then add everything else except butter. Stir it up real good. Melt butter in bottom of pan, add some leftover crushed ritz. Pour your mixture on top and bake. It's sooooo cheesy and soooo good. Everybody loves it.

I don't cook a lot of things ahead of time but I certainly do a lot of prep work.  

I've already made my desserts, drinks, etc. but everything else is prepped like potatoes peeled and cut, stuffing made put together, turkey in the bag and pan, ready to just turn the oven on, etc.

With your meal, I'm sure you could prep the sweet potatoes, green beans, potatoes ahead of time so everything just has to be turned on tomorrow.   I don't think that reheated thanksgiving dinner is that appetizing either, so I just do as much of prep work beforehand as possible.  If oven space and time is an issue with getting everything cooked, I would err on the side of cooking the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, gravy and corn ahead of time as those are not dishes that really suffer in quality from being reheated.  

I started prepping as soon as I got outta bed this morning. Had to boil lots of eggs to have ready for my dressing, potato salad and deviled eggs. Got my pie crusts made this morning and set aside to be filled here in just a little bit. Fried my onion and celery up together to have for my dressing that will be made in a little bit. Chopped my pickles this morning to put in my potato salad later. It's so much easier to prep and prepare little things like that ahead of time.