Blu-Ray Player

keri

Ok, I think we are finally going to upgrade to a Blu-ray player. I know we are cutting edge! Our TV is LG brand and we have been very happy with it, so I checked out the LG players on sale at Best Buy. The Black Friday model they have does not upconvert. What is that and do we need it?  That is the only difference I could see from the regular LG. They also have a Sony on sale that day. Not sure which would be our best choice. . .thanks, K :singer:

Ok, I think we are finally going to upgrade to a Blu-ray player. I know we are cutting edge! Our TV is LG brand and we have been very happy with it, so I checked out the LG players on sale at Best Buy. The Black Friday model they have does not upconvert. What is that and do we need it?  That is the only difference I could see from the regular LG. They also have a Sony on sale that day. Not sure which would be our best choice. . .thanks, K :singer:

Upconvert is when a devices 'enchances' standard definition content so that it looks better on a high definition set.  Not only do you want a player that does this, but you want one that does it well.  Except for remote compatibility and interdevice communication (your tv powers on and changes to the BD input when you power up your BD player, for instance), you probably should care more about features than brand.

I am looking for a Blu-ray as well.  Right now I was leaning towards Sony BDPBX510 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray/DVD Player from Costco.  One of the reasons for me to go with Costco is their great return policy.  If for some we aren't happy returns are easy.  Don't need the 3D right now, but would like something with a good built-in Wi-Fi.  As Comcast really "messed up" when they did their install of our wireless network, ease and strength of connection will be important.  Model suggestions gratefully accepted :)

I am looking for a Blu-ray as well.  Right now I was leaning towards Sony BDPBX510 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray/DVD Player from Costco.  One of the reasons for me to go with Costco is their great return policy.  If for some we aren't happy returns are easy.  Don't need the 3D right now, but would like something with a good built-in Wi-Fi.  As Comcast really "messed up" when they did their install of our wireless network, ease and strength of connection will be important.  Model suggestions gratefully accepted :)

Check the modem they gave you. It should be a DOCSIS 3. If it is not, get them to give you one, even if you have to take it in yourself. Just Google your Model number and it should tell you what you need to know.                                                                                                         

The sony line with built in wifi has been great for me, have never had a connection problem, etc.  Have a sony BDP s590 and a BDP s790  (this years model equivielent are s3100 and s5100 I believe).

Thanks for the tips jaymacfla and nirvana4all!  I think I will go the Sony s5100.  I am hoping the Sony BDPBX510 is the equivalent.

As for Comcast I am going to look into the model number.  I am not hopeful of getting a new one though.  Just this past weekend we tried to call technical support.  Was cut off 6 times, held two different times for over 30 minutes.  The only time we actually talked to a human, she was clueless and gave a phone number for paid technical support!  After several hours invested we are no further ahead.  Way to go Comcast!