What do you wear/carry on Black Friday?

AuntJamelle

Gals?  Guys?

What do you carry on you in person and how?  

Do you dress in layers?  Skip the coat?

What supplies do you make sure you have in the car to keep you going?

:)

One thing I have always done is to carry my debit card and license in a badge holder on a lanyard around my neck.  And I'll usually keep it tucked under some clothing unless getting ready to check out.

Just have to FIND one for this year!  We had a house fire last Christmas and lost most of the contents of our house - didn't even THINK of needing a lanyard, etc. for BF until just now.  YIPE!  The ones I had were saved from corporate events I went to years ago...

We tend to dress in layers, it's normally pretty cool super early in the morning around here in FL but not near what it would be back up north lol. The layers allow us to peel off as the day goes on and it becomes 70-80 out. We also carry our CC's/Debit Cards (money just stays in the bank, ID I usually have my wallet and my wife has a small backpack she carries (like one of those rope bag ones). In the car we usually have some water, granola bars and sometimes soda to have something to drink before/after we have our breakfast.

I dress in layers; I'm in the Northeast so will sometimes be in line outside. I usually will wear an under armour shirt with a northface hoodie or jacket over that depending in the weather. I use a crossbody bag for cash, id, cc's (no debit that day). The crossbody goes over my shirt but underneath the outer layer.

I don't keep much in my car but at some point I will hit Starbucks. Target generally passes out power bars in line so I'll have one of those if that's 1 of my spots.

I live in Va. so on BF it's normally cold. I layer up so as the day goes on, some of the layers can come off. My gloves I put in my pockets when it time to go inside. I wear the most comfortable shoes and 2 pairs of socks. (My feet freeze.)I don't carry cash, although I've heard it's best to in case the store has issue accepting credit cards like their system crashes. I don't carry a pocketbook to keep up with. I have this wrist band with a zipper which holds 2 credit cards and keys. I have my list on my phone or with my phone in my back pocket.

I refer to it and update it after each store visit. I also have the printed ads in the car in case I'm not charged correctly.

Last year, I was outside Target for 3 hours before the doors opened. I had my fold up chair which has a bag with a strap. 30 minutes before the door opened, the chair went in the bag and I was ready. No standing for 3 hours for me. I was rested and ready to go. Then afterwards, the chair stayed in the car. I don't use shopping carts, but I did use a big shopping bag to get my stuff to the register.

I have my store loyalty cards and coupons in the side pocket of my car. I have my cooler in my car. I bring the fixings for leftover turkey sandwiches. I always keep bottle water and lemonade mix in the car. If I'm headed into a mall, I have a bottle holder which has a long body strap so my lemonade is handy. I also have a backpack bag or a reusable shopping bag in the car for mall shopping.

Depends on whether I am inside or out...if outside of course the coat if the weather demands it, I have a couple of years here in Oklahoma been able to get by with a long sleeve shirt and light jacket. When we have done Walmart for extended hours we leave the heavy coats in the car as it gets too hot to mess with coats as the crowd builds plus don't want tied down to a cart some years. This year looks to be a colder year so coat will definitely go with me. Usually have necessary ads that we are matching in pocket and a the small silicone card carrier from GottaDeal with my id and cards I need.

Black Friday tshirt, index card of items per store, ads are in car for price matching if needed.  Never know if someone won't have one that another store does when out.  Even if not sure if your need them, just to have them can save a hassle of finding a paper.

Even being in the Northeast I've tried to skip my heavy winter coat whenever possible.  I usually only have to have it for the first store (where we wait outside).  It's just too hot inside for it.  Plus once we get to the mall, I'd be roasting!

We keep the ads in the car and have a master list we take with us.  It always had both my and my sisters items so we could split the stores in 2 and meet back in the middle.

Never carried cash on BF, but did just have my debit card.  I absolutely REFUSE to charge anything for Christmas.  Thankfully, I think I have a decent bank though.  Through the years (not BF related) I've had a very small handful of "odd" charges and they've always been very good and returning my funds with a claim quickly.

I don't wear or carry anything different.  I definitely change out of my Thanksgiving dinner clothes and put on jeans or leggings and a sweater, throw on my boots, but I still carry my regular purse. I'm not out for the whole day though, so I'm sure that makes a difference.   I always have a bottle of water in my purse, if that counts. Lol

Dress in layers and bring the printed ads to review while I sit in line in a folding chair.  Sometimes I will put the chair in the car before starting out if I have a helper othewise just carry by the strap.  I have my cell phone to keep in touch with others while we shop, a water bottle and a snack bar in my purse (smaller crossbody one than I normally carry).  Make sure to wear comfy shoes and clothes and have a good attitude.  You may not get everything you are going after but you are still saving on those items that you do get.

I tend to dress in some layers, but leave the heavy coat at home or in the car.  I don't wait outside in line anywhere anymore, so I don't need any special gear.  Typically I'll carry my bag with phone, credit cards and ipad mini (for entertainment while waiting in line indoors).  I also carry a bag of candy and gum to pass out to cashiers that need a pick-me-up.  I have my list on my phone, and leave the ads in the car.  This year my mom is coming with me, I can't wait to see what all she thinks is necessary  lol  I'm sure there will be lots of tubes of lipstick and probably at least 2 or 3 hairbrushes.  :g_laughin

• Like 1

BF shirt, a zip up sweater (tie around waist if I get too hot), jeans, good athletic support socks, sneakers. wristlet with credit cards and id, ads with list in the car (store ad comes with me to specific store only), cell phone in pocket and bottles of water in the car.

I list items available at multiple stores on my list and then the stores in order of opening time and desire to get items. Once I get something I know is available at multiple stores I cross off other places and eliminate many stores that way.

I can't eat for nerves, may pick up a soda if I stop by a machine or target/walgreens/cvs to keep energy up.

I dress in layers and sometimes just keep my wallet in my vest's zippered pocket. If I do carry a purse, I use a cross body bag and always have it right in front. I also wear my hiking boots. They are so comfy! I wear compression socks too. I discovered them a couple of months ago and they are awesome! My legs don't get as sore when I wear my compression socks. The difference is amazing! 

In my car I keep water, phone charger and some light snacks. (nuts, granola bar, chocolate, organic apple and sometimes a banana)

Gals?  Guys?

What do you carry on you in person and how?  

Do you dress in layers?  Skip the coat?

What supplies do you make sure you have in the car to keep you going?

:)

One thing I have always done is to carry my debit card and license in a badge holder on a lanyard around my neck.  And I'll usually keep it tucked under some clothing unless getting ready to check out.

Just have to FIND one for this year!  We had a house fire last Christmas and lost most of the contents of our house - didn't even THINK of needing a lanyard, etc. for BF until just now.  YIPE!  The ones I had were saved from corporate events I went to years ago...

I'm so sorry to hear about your house. I hope you all are doing well and getting back to normal as much as possible. 

• Like 2

I live in Wisconsin where some years it's been in the teens or low 20s at 2-3 a.m. when standing in line.  I dress in many layers, including Under Armour type shirts and thermals.  Hats are a must, so are thick gloves and a scarf if we're going to be outside for more  than 10 minutes.  I try to wear an outer layer with a pouch pocket so I can store my gloves as soon as I get inside.  I carry a crossneck purse with a big easy to navigate zipper (hands are still cold!) and a small bag inside that has all the cards I need, as well as gift cards, coupons, etc.  We always bring the ads with us in the car, and usually take the one in to the store that we need.  

I won't be standing in line at all outside this year (we eat dinner at 5 p.m.) so I'll still be in layers, but it won't be nearly as cumbersome.  Today the high here is only 29-30 degrees so I have no idea how cold it may be next Thursday/Friday. 

Edited by shemons
  • Like 1

I live in Wisconsin where some years it's been in the teens or low 20s at 2-3 a.m. when standing in line. I dress in many layers, including Under Armour type shirts and thermals. Hats are a must, so are thick gloves and a scarf if we're going to be outside for more than 10 minutes. I try to wear an outer layer with a pouch pocket so I can store my gloves as soon as I get inside. I carry a crossneck purse with a big easy to navigate zipper (hands are still cold!) and a small bag inside that has all the cards I need, as well as gift cards, coupons, etc. We always bring the ads with us in the car, and usually take the one in to the store that we need.

I won't be standing in line at all outside this year (we eat dinner at 5 p.m.) so I'll still be in layers, but it won't be nearly as cumbersome. Today the high here is only 29-30 degrees so I have no idea how cold it may be next Thursday/Friday.

I remember years where we've questionably been above 0 for standing in line at 2am. Now with all stores opening before I'll even go out, no standing outside either. I won't miss that but I will miss being at the front of some lines and won't sacrifice missing family time.

Where in WI?

People always comment on how cold I look BUT other than my usual wear I will also sport a hoodie and my Gottadeal.com BF shirt. I also make sure ALL my devices are charged (iPod, iPad, MP3 Player, cellphone) and I have my headphones on me. If I'm not listening to Christmas music via the local radio station on my MP3 player I'm listening to music on my iPod. IPad is great for checking ads and getting deal updates. For sustenance I usually have flavored water and trail mix. My family will usually bring me a hot plate of food at one point. All that, paper ads, a chair and blanket and that is it.

Last year waiting in front of Menard's, (for six hours) it was in the teens and the wind chill had the temp well below zero.  We had multiple layers (my friend even ran back to walmart for fleece pajama pants and put those over her clothes), and sleeping bags. This year might not have us camping out, since the ads are a bit on the lackluster side for what we're looking for.  We're in Beaver Dam, WI, by the way.  :) 

• Like 1

Generally, blue jeans, a long sleeve shirt with GottaDeal t-shirt on the outside, then a heavy coat.  Unfortunately the heavy coat covers the t-shirt but I sometimes take it off or at least open it while in stores.  If it is particularly cold, gloves and hood while waiting in line (always for less than 2 hours), but I leave those in the car after first store.  Due to early openings, I won't be waiting in line too long this year.

• Like 1

I live Alabama so the weather is cool at night and early in the morning.  This year it is supposed to be in the 50's as a high so it won't be too bad.

I usually wear my gottadeal BF shirt  :) , a long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt.  I usually end up taking off my sweatshirt and leaving it in the car.

I take debit card, Gift cards, cash, IDs and put them in my back pocket (which is how I usually carry everything anyway  :) since I hate carrying a purse..lol.

I also take my ads.  I leave them in the car and pull them as I need them.

Edited by starbeck96

I remember years where we've questionably been above 0 for standing in line at 2am. Now with all stores opening before I'll even go out, no standing outside either. I won't miss that but I will miss being at the front of some lines and won't sacrifice missing family time.

Where in WI?

Milwaukee - western suburbs. I usually shop around Moreland/Bluemound/Hwy 100.