Ways to Not Be Taken In By Holiday Deals

XavierDiaz

Hello My name is Xavier Diaz. I am writing an article for a local newspaper on the ways to not be taken in by the holiday deals. If you or anyone you know can give me any advice or refer me to someone who would be able to help, please let me know! I am essentially looking for ways to not be fooled by Holiday Deals. Thank you!!

This is probably something obvious, but just because 20 pairs of pantyhose for $1 SEEMS like a good deal, if you don't wear pantyhose, you're wasting your money. That was just an example, but if it is something you'll never use or can't see giving as a gift, save your money, no matter how good of a deal it is.

• Like 1

You’re in the perfect place. GD has a vase audience of people with deep insight into shopping/pricing. Just coming around and not just reading the forums but actively participating in them will let you know what a good price is and what isn't. This is just not a holiday site or black Friday but yearlong. I always check the boards for gift ideas and things for myself. What I thought was a good deal most of the time is just okay until I look here or ask and my fellow GD lead the way on where and when, bring coupons and discount codes on tow.  MOST OF ALL HAVE A BUDGET AND STICK TO IT. YOU STILL HAVE TO LIVE AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. AT GD YOU CAN JUST LIVE MORE COMFORTABLY WHEN IT'S OVER

• Like 2

I suppose it can be easy, especially for those who like to shop anyway, to be overwhelmed by all the "save now, buy now" mentality of retail.  The tried and true practice of making lists of who you are shopping for and what items you are looking for and STICKING to it will help you to avoid extra purchases.  Stores are also very good and luring you in with great bottom dollar prices in the ads that they have very few of and then when you are not able to score that amazing deal most shoppers will purchase something else that is comparable but ultimately more expensive.  Price shop and compare! If your goal is to save money and get the biggest bang for your buck - you have to know your prices.  A smart phone is a shoppers best friend in the modern age!  Many times I have scanned an item that was a supposed deal in a store only to find out it was a better price online - and right in the aisle you can add it to an online cart or purchase if you have saved your credit card number to an online store ahead of time, so be prepared.  

• Like 1

Use the comparison charts in the tools section of Gottadeal if you are looking for something specific.  This makes it easy to compare where you may want to get different items.

I agree.

There are a lot of tools here to use.

My best and short advice is to research.  Make a plan, and execute it.

The planning is key if you plan on hitting the B&M stores.

• Like 1

Hello My name is Xavier Diaz. I am writing an article for a local newspaper on the ways to not be taken in by the holiday deals. If you or anyone you know can give me any advice or refer me to someone who would be able to help, please let me know! I am essentially looking for ways to not be fooled by Holiday Deals. Thank you!!

I might as well be the one: Stay away from bargain sites that promote the hype.  Shopping is not an event and it's not a contest.  

WHAT: Make a list of everything you want or need.  Spend a lot of time deciding which features and qualities you covet.  Read reviews and compile a short list of acceptable options.  Check the deal sites for best historical prices.  Set up notifications on the deal sites and buy the carefully researched product that will satisfy you at a price you are willing to pay.

WHEN:  Buy things when they are on sale.  Low demand for high inventory means big savings.  Two exceptions to this rule: 1) Financing something that is on sale erodes the benefit of buying on sale.  2) Not using something immediately erodes the warranty protection.

WHERE:  Consider the cost of returning an item when purchasing online or at a remote location.  

How:  Use credit cards that give rewards and/or extend warranties.  Do not overextend.  Store your shopping list and research online so you can consult if you think you stumbled across a bargain on the road.

Definitely research the normal price for an item and keep an eye on the ads before BF and after BF. BF prices aren't always the lowest.

Know the return and adjustment policies for all the stores and websites you purchase from and keep all of your receipts in one place. If you see a lower price and you're in the adjustment time window. Do it as soon as possible so you don't forget. 

Know the price matching policies for the stores you shop at. It's always good to have a print out of the policy and be sure to bring any ads with you that you need. 

Know your product, prices and policies! :D

• Like 1

A big one for me is to research the items.  A huge example lately is a tablet for some ridiculously cheap price.  Once you do research on that tablet, it turns out it can basically run tetris and poorly render a website with pretty poor wifi, and is otherwise a paperweight.  There is a reason some things are super super cheap priced, it is because they could not sell them to anyone who took a moment and thought about it.  Many people get caught up in the hype and see something that is in a category they want, but dont see if it will actually fit their need.

I suppose it can be easy, especially for those who like to shop anyway, to be overwhelmed by all the "save now, buy now" mentality of retail.  The tried and true practice of making lists of who you are shopping for and what items you are looking for and STICKING to it will help you to avoid extra purchases.  Stores are also very good and luring you in with great bottom dollar prices in the ads that they have very few of and then when you are not able to score that amazing deal most shoppers will purchase something else that is comparable but ultimately more expensive.  Price shop and compare! If your goal is to save money and get the biggest bang for your buck - you have to know your prices.  A smart phone is a shoppers best friend in the modern age!  Many times I have scanned an item that was a supposed deal in a store only to find out it was a better price online - and right in the aisle you can add it to an online cart or purchase if you have saved your credit card number to an online store ahead of time, so be prepared.  

Hello I sent you a private message regarding your advice, would you be able to contact me back, thank you,

A big one for me is to research the items.  A huge example lately is a tablet for some ridiculously cheap price.  Once you do research on that tablet, it turns out it can basically run tetris and poorly render a website with pretty poor wifi, and is otherwise a paperweight.  There is a reason some things are super super cheap priced, it is because they could not sell them to anyone who took a moment and thought about it.  Many people get caught up in the hype and see something that is in a category they want, but dont see if it will actually fit their need.

Hello I sent you a private message regarding your advice, would you be able to contact me back, thank you,

I might as well be the one: Stay away from bargain sites that promote the hype.  Shopping is not an event and it's not a contest.  

WHAT: Make a list of everything you want or need.  Spend a lot of time deciding which features and qualities you covet.  Read reviews and compile a short list of acceptable options.  Check the deal sites for best historical prices.  Set up notifications on the deal sites and buy the carefully researched product that will satisfy you at a price you are willing to pay.

WHEN:  Buy things when they are on sale.  Low demand for high inventory means big savings.  Two exceptions to this rule: 1) Financing something that is on sale erodes the benefit of buying on sale.  2) Not using something immediately erodes the warranty protection.

WHERE:  Consider the cost of returning an item when purchasing online or at a remote location.  

How:  Use credit cards that give rewards and/or extend warranties.  Do not overextend.  Store your shopping list and research online so you can consult if you think you stumbled across a bargain on the road.

Hello i sent you a private message regarding your advice, would you be able to contact me back, thank you.

Definitely research the normal price for an item and keep an eye on the ads before BF and after BF. BF prices aren't always the lowest.

Know the return and adjustment policies for all the stores and websites you purchase from and keep all of your receipts in one place. If you see a lower price and you're in the adjustment time window. Do it as soon as possible so you don't forget. 

Know the price matching policies for the stores you shop at. It's always good to have a print out of the policy and be sure to bring any ads with you that you need. 

Know your product, prices and policies! :D

hello i sent you a private message regarding your advice can you contact me back, thank you.

I'm going to have to agree.  Research research research. Especially before the holiday season.  Keep a record of what you have researched. Whether it's online or physically going to the store.  I always have my price book with me.  Sometimes brick and mortar prices are lower online and sometimes vice versa. Also, consider some out of the way places instead of the big box stores.  I have been researching LED candles and came across a great deal at an Amish store. 

I'm going to have to agree.  Research research research. Especially before the holiday season.  Keep a record of what you have researched. Whether it's online or physically going to the store.  I always have my price book with me.  Sometimes brick and mortar prices are lower online and sometimes vice versa. Also, consider some out of the way places instead of the big box stores.  I have been researching LED candles and came across a great deal at an Amish store. 

Umm, why would the amish need LED lights?  They don't use electric!!!  No wonder they were practically giving them away!

http://amishreligiousfreedom.org/amishfaq.htm#elect

Umm, why would the amish need LED lights? They don't use electric!!! No wonder they were practically giving them away!

http://amishreligiousfreedom.org/amishfaq.htm#elect

The Amish around here all freely use solar & wind power, battery operated lights & cell phones as those items are not "physically connected" to the world. It's a pretty grey area & is usually left up to each Amish sect to decide.

Edited by speeddiva

You guys like my anecdotes, right?  I few years back, we packed up the popup and headed out on the Hall of Fame Tour.  We caught a reenactment of Picket's Charge in Gettysburg, spent my kid's birthday in Hershey Park (Billy Joel was playing in the adjacent stadium and they pumped the concert into the park), visited Amish country, checked out the Air Force Museum/Hall of Fame in Dayton, Stopped in to Canton, rested at Niagara Falls, and finished up in Cooperstown.

When I am in an unfamiliar place, I ask a native to point me to a meal that will bring me back.  To that end, I spent a morning in an Amish market asking for some Simple Food.  To my surprise, there were no Amish in the market.  I finally found a woman who pointed us to a great Amish restaurant.  After dinner we caught a buggy tour.  Our guide had a cell phone.  We saw Simple People using gas trimmers and other amenities.  It was more funny than disappointing.  I think about that day whenever I see Amish heaters for sale somewhere.