How to feed a house full for a long weekend without braking the bank

bamamomma

We are hosting Thanksgiving in our new home this year. We recently moved down south. Thanksgiving weekend originally started as just our family and our son bringing a friend home from college that wasn't going to be able to go back home. That meant just 5 of us total. We then received a call from my husbands aunt asking if she and her daughter could come visit. A few days later our best friends (family of 4) wanted to come and then my husbands cousin called yesterday to ask if her boy friend could come. That makes 12 of us in this house from Wed. to Sunday. I love having guests, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit nervous! I am trying to figure out how to feed this many people without going broke. I am hoping for leftovers from Thanksgiving Day for Friday night. Plannng to cook an extra large bird. Also, is it acceptable to ask these other families to bring things that they could carry without issues such as cookies, rolls, snack items? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Soups, chilli, big pot of soup beans with corn bread. Feeds a lot and don't cost too much.

Hamburgers/cheeseburgers, sandwiches and chips, sloppy joes with chips or French fries/onion rings/tater tots.

These are all cheap options and don't take much effort at all.

You are talking about the other days besides Thanksgiving right?

Edited by jade2002
  • Like 2

Turkeys are so inexpensive for the amount of meat you get from them - cook 2 large ones and everyone can enjoy turkey sandwiches and left overs. You can even do some turkey pot pies and use the carcases for turkey noodle soup (goes great with sandwiches.)

Good luck with all those people... hope you will get to relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday season in peace. :)

• Like 2

Soups, chilli, big pot of soup beans with corn bread. Feeds a lot and don't cost too much.

Hamburgers/cheeseburgers, sandwiches and chips, sloppy joes with chips or French fries/onion rings/tater tots.

These are all cheap options and don't take much effort at all.

You are talking about the other days besides Thanksgiving right?

Yes, the other days. I never thought about soup and I have to say I make a pretty mean batch of chili. Also, is it acceptable to ask the out of town guests to bring things? These are all big eaters that are coming. I want to be able to enjoy this time and not feeling like i'm going to panic! ;)

Turkeys are so inexpensive for the amount of meat you get from them - cook 2 large ones and everyone can enjoy turkey sandwiches and left overs. You can even do some turkey pot pies and use the carcases for turkey noodle soup (goes great with sandwiches.)Good luck with all those people... hope you will get to relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday season in peace. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to have 12 people showering in our 2 bathrooms LOL! Hoping to be able to relax! I'm pretty sure a nice glass of wine each night will help. :)

Yes, the other days. I never thought about soup and I have to say I make a pretty mean batch of chili. Also, is it acceptable to ask the out of town guests to bring things? These are all big eaters that are coming. I want to be able to enjoy this time and not feeling like i'm going to panic! ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how to have 12 people showering in our 2 bathrooms LOL! Hoping to be able to relax! I'm pretty sure a nice glass of wine each night will help. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking them to bring something. My guests usually ask me what or if they should bring something.

• Like 1

Definitely OK to ask them to bring something since everyone is popping up last minute. Keep meals simple - other than Thanksgiving, of course. On the brighter side, the Thanksgiving week/week before ad is usually very hot so you can get the most for your money. Sandwiches, soups, cereals for breakfast, etc. are all good ideas. You may even want to consider cooking one turkey ahead of time so you can make some dishes early as suggested in another post. Maybe order a deli tray of some kind for the first day.
  • Like 2

One of our favorites is pasta. You can get 6 lbs of spaghetti or mostacholi from Sams Club for under 6 bucks. If you make your own sauce, it keeps the price really low. We have an average of 30 plus every holiday.... This is a big staple along with soups. Another good receipe would be meatballs. Keep your eye out at the grocery store for specials on meat and freeze away!

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your wonderful ideas. I am wanting to make this an extra special holiday for our family. My DH has been through many very difficult medical issues this year and it has been a very trying time getting through them along with moving out of state and having a college freshmen. I want to make this to be as stress free for him as it can be and for our guests to feel welcome. I just know if I show that I am wanting to pull my hair out, no one will be able to enjoy it. ;)

This will be the first time in many, many years that my parents & our family hasn't gone thru basically the same this as the OP, with my aunt, uncle, & various cousins (and their families) coming in from another state. Thankfully, my uncle enjoys cooking and splits the meal-making with my mom, so that's a huge plus-- but the one big thing the two of them always do as soon as he gets there is sit down together and write out a rough "menu" of all the lunches & dinners they plan to fix. This helps them figure out what ingredients they still need and gives them a concrete plan of action. Once the menu is decided upon, it's hung on the fridge, both for them to reference and in case any of the guests want to know ahead of time (especially for picky eaters or food allergies). Also, all of the non-perishable ingredients needed for the meals they typically keep separated from the regular pantry stuff, to hopefully prevent any last-minute fiascos. Yes, sometimes meals need to be rearranged (or occasionally revamped completely) due to unforeseen circumstances, but for the most part, this has worked really well for us over the years! :)

As for what to serve, the suggestions so far have been spot-on to what my mom and uncle typically plan! They do always try to have salad at every meal as well. My cousins have always brought along whatever snacks they like, and if any of those happen to be crackers, we also use those when we have soup/chili-- so I agree that asking your guests to bring items is fine! I would probably ask them to bring plenty of whatever snacks their family enjoys, then mention one or two of the meals you've planned and ask if they could bring as specific item to go with it (i.e. "I'm planning to have a big pot of chili on Wednesday night; could you possibly bring some cookies or another dessert to go with it?" or "I'm thinking we'll have sandwiches for lunch a couple times this weekend. I'll have plenty of meat, but could you pick up a couple loaves of bread & bring them?")

Hope this helps- good luck! :)

• Like 2

Can I be the naysayer here......when traveling I HATE trying to travel with food I've made or running out to buy things such as bread/crackers/ect and bringing it along.

Though, I would be houseguest that would just straight up offer to buy pizza and subs for everyone one night or get bagels and donuts from your local bakery a morning or two for everyone for breakfast.  If it were a smaller group I would be offering jus to take everyone out but either way I couldn't imagine not paying for some ordered out meals to repay someone for their hospitality.  So I guess I would make up for it in another way. 

• Like 3

I agree with everyone, leefamily too. Ask and see what people can bring, especially those that are driving and if bringing something would be difficult ask them to chip in elsewhere like with pizza or bagels. Quite frankly, they have all asked to stay at your home, so I don't see anything wrong with asking them to chip in a little. It's lovely having guests, but it can get expensive. 

I like all the food choices everyone has suggested. I'd like to add a couple too.

Ham. You might see hams on sale soon and a decent size ham will feed quite a few. Buy one, slap some brown sugar, cinnamon and clove on it and throw it in the oven. You can mix a little bit of Bourbon in there too if you'd like. Serve with potato or pasta salad and some rolls. Save the bone and trimmings and use it to make bean soup. Serve the soup with cornbread.

Big pot of veggie soup. Yum! Potatoes, carrots, frozen corn, peas, diced tomatoes and some veggie or chicken broth. I like to add some Tony's cajun seasoning too. Make some simple biscuits and you're good to go.

Salads don't need to be filled with a ton of different veggies. Lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Lettuce, cucumber and bell pepper. Lettuce, bell pepper and corn. Even just lettuce with tomatoes is fine for a big crowd. I think most people are good with Ranch or Italian dressing too. Throw a bag of inexpensive croutons on there if you feel like it and you're all set.

I like to make an enchilada casserole. It's so easy and the ingredients are inexpensive. Corn tortillas, diced bell pepper, diced onion, couple cups of black beans, bag of frozen corn, enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese. You can add meat to it if you feel like it, but you don't need too. I prefer it with just the veggies. It's so good and everyone I know enjoys it. Have some sour cream available to top it when it's ready to eat and you're good to go.

Have fun and enjoy this time with your family and friends. Consider going to bed a little early a couple of nights while they're there for some quite time. You can read a book or browse the internet while you rest up. Remember, a rested host is a good host! 

• Like 2

Can I be the naysayer here......when traveling I HATE trying to travel with food I've made or running out to buy things such as bread/crackers/ect and bringing it along.

Though, I would be houseguest that would just straight up offer to buy pizza and subs for everyone one night or get bagels and donuts from your local bakery a morning or two for everyone for breakfast.  If it were a smaller group I would be offering jus to take everyone out but either way I couldn't imagine not paying for some ordered out meals to repay someone for their hospitality.  So I guess I would make up for it in another way.

I do completely understand your point. I wish my house guests were more like you. ;) As much as I love everyone that is coming, if I do not ask, none of them would offer to do something. They expect things but unfortunately don't always give back. It's how they are and that's OK. It is what it is. I accept them as is. Thank you for showing the other side of it though! :)

Thank you for your very kind words. It has been a VERY stressful year to say the least and we have a long way to go dealing with things. That's OK, BUT I just am a little more thankful and stressed than usual. It is very important that we appreciate what we have and to enjoy those of us that are part of our family and extended family. I am so excited to have a house full, I just am looking to make things flow smoothly. :)
  • Like 1

You have a lot of great suggestions here...I would only add my voice to say "since you are excited and happy about all your guests...Enjoy them!!!".

I think it is fine to ask folks to bring item(s),  I suspect some of them may even appreciate the opportunity to bring something.   (Even if ends up only being the friend of your son who "gets it".)   But I also agree that some folks who are traveling, especially if they are coming by plane may find bringing something to share difficult to do.    I also think letting them know that the expectation that they will help with (and even be responsible for one meal) is realistic.  (Provided you are comfortable letting folks take over your kitchen.)   Tell them you need a big pot of soup for Saturday and point to a  bunch of stuff they can choose from. and see what they come up with.   Make extra mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving and ask the next two or three guests to make potato pancakes for the group. (Or potato corn chowder...cheap and filing.)  Chili is always a hit when people are weary of turkey.  (As previously noted.)  If you don't want a tomato pasta...use that pasta to make turkey tetrizini  (cooked pasta, a can of cream of whatever soup, a container of sour cream.  I always like to add onions and or mushrooms.  Some add peas.  Throw it in a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with paprika and back 350 degrees for 50-60 min.    It's not rocket science.  Face it,  anything with a can of cream of something soup and sour cream is going to be a hit.  Ooo  Tell some one to make a pan of hash brown casserole...watch that disappear.)     3/4 of the fun and the memories that I have are the people I am with.   It can be fun to mess around in someone else's kitchen with 2 or 3 others and come up with a soup or a chili or a pasta.

A couple of "cheap" things that my church youth groups have done that have been very popular for church dinners that I am sure would work for family get togethers:

--"egg-strata"  --  easy breakfast casserole with unlimited variations.  (recipes online)

-- Baked potato bar -- bake a bunch of potaoes and use all those left overs for topppings....the chili, the turkey tetrizini, the pasta, the enchilata's.  Sausage gravy, Cream chipped beef, taco items also work.  Of course  you can have some cheese, bacon bits, chives and sour cream for the stubborn ones who don't like "change".

-- a Bread and flavored butter bar to go with your meals.    Have 3-5 different loaves of bread. and make up some flavored butters.  The formula is 2:1 ..... 2 parts butter to 1 part flavoring.    For instance for honey butter make 1/2c softened butter and 1/4c of honey.   Use strawberry jam, chocolate frosting and maple syrup to make new favorite butter flavors.   If you want to make something like cinnamon sugar butter  use powered sugar so the butter will not be grainy.  A good pesto sauce makes a nice butter for those that don't want something sweet.    Use your imagination to come up with other flavors.   The butters can be made up ahead of time.   I use those little yellow "I can't believe it's not butter" to store the different flavors.  One pound of butter will make you 4 flavors and a lot of happy faces.

One last easy idea...came from a "mistake" my mother made a few years ago when she misread the left over labels.  We call it "gravy soup" and we have made every year since.  Throw the left over stuffing and gravy in a soup pot and toss in any left over vegetables from the dinner.  If you need vegetable, toss in something from the freezer or cut up a potato or toss in a bag of little baby carrots.  Let it simmer.   Add a little water (or a beer) if the base is too thick to thin it out a bit.   (And freeze the turkey stock for January. ;D)

Blessings!  I hope you all have a great holiday together!

• Like 1

We are hosting Thanksgiving in our new home this year. We recently moved down south. Thanksgiving weekend originally started as just our family and our son bringing a friend home from college that wasn't going to be able to go back home. That meant just 5 of us total. We then received a call from my husbands aunt asking if she and her daughter could come visit. A few days later our best friends (family of 4) wanted to come and then my husbands cousin called yesterday to ask if her boy friend could come. That makes 12 of us in this house from Wed. to Sunday. I love having guests, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit nervous! I am trying to figure out how to feed this many people without going broke. I am hoping for leftovers from Thanksgiving Day for Friday night. Plannng to cook an extra large bird. Also, is it acceptable to ask these other families to bring things that they could carry without issues such as cookies, rolls, snack items? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

This week's Publix ad (don't know if they have them in Alabama near you) have Publix Frozen Turkeys for .59 cents a pound. We purchased a 16 lb bird for less than $10. You can purchase two at that price.

• Like 1

I just want to give a heart felt thank you for your thoughts and ideas! And to ajogg, we are actually in SC and our son is in AL. We actually have a brand new Publix about 5 minutes from our house. That price is incredible! So much cheaper than anything else I have seen. Will be heading over there tomorrow to see what they have. ;) Edited by bamamomma

I just want to give a heart felt thank you for your thoughts and ideas! And to ajogg, we are actually in SC and our son is in AL. We actually have a brand new Publix about 5 minutes from our house. That price is incredible! So much cheaper than anything else I have seen. Will be heading over there tomorrow to see what they have. ;)

Oops, sorry. I saw your Bama avatar and thought you must be in AL. Hopefully you'll pick out a nice one (hopefully the same price too) and enjoy the Holiday.

• Like 1

For breakfast I'd got with pancakes one day and then French toast. Both are easy to make, filling, & inexpensive, You can buy the large pancake mix at sam's club or super Wal-Mart.

If you have 2 crock pots I'd go with sloppy Joes & chips or pasts salad. pre cook the hamburger a day before guests arrive & freeze it in gallon size bags until ready to use. Put it in the crock pot to warm up with the sauce. You can make the pasta salad in advance just don't mix the dressing until time to serve or it'll dry out.

then Chili or Spaghetti for the other meals

Ask others to bring non-cooked items. Paper plate, toilet paper, extra soda, chips

I'll have 16 total for 5 nights.  I've already made and have frozen:

sloppy joe meat mix

pizza burgers

ham balls

cheeseburger soup

a ham

to these main dish items I'll add a salad each day, for the sandwiches a container of potato salad from Sam's Club, chips, and for the ham/ham ball meal I already have twice baked potatoes in the freezer and will add green bean casserole and rolls.  I plan to make a frozen dessert and a couple of frozen pies.  For breakfast I just provide toast, eggs, cereal, donuts and muffins and everyone is on their own.  Lunch might be ham or turkey sandwiches.  I got a great deal on the ground beef and ham ball mix and ham.  Buy on sale.  I like to cook ahead of time as much as I can so I'm not a slave to the kitchen when the company is here.  Sounds like you really need to celebrate.  I hope your husband is doing better.

• Like 1

dinner/lunches

chili

loaded bakes potatoes (used left over chili )

Santa Fe Soup

You could use any left over Baked Potatoes and use in potato soup

ham (then use left over for sandwiches)

pizza (our pizza hut has large specialty pizza right now for $10)

hotdogs (use left over chili)

Breakfast/Brunch

cereal

instant oatmeal/grits/cream of wheat

left over ham / eggs/ and toast

Pancakes or Waffles

donuts

And just fyi, whenever we go to out of town family gatherings we always stop and pick up things like drinks, crackers, snacks, at the grocery store down the road from the house we will be going to, I see no problem asking them to bring something pre packaged.   If they live in the same town then I'd say yes, ask them to bring a covered dish.

Edited by Kandy