Need gift ideas for my Truck Driver husband...

AudreyNicole

My husband is an over-the-road truck driver, and for the most part, is away from home Monday-Friday afternoon every week.  I am wanting to find gifts for him that he can enjoy while he is in the truck.  He's already got a TV/DVD combo, portable plug-in oven and a bunch of coolers in the truck.  I plan to get him new sunglasses that he mentioned, as I know they will get daily use.  Other than new movies for him to watch on his down time, I am stumped as to what to get him.  I considered a PlayStation Vita (he is a gamer), but he already has a PSP that doesn't get much play, so I fear it would be wasted money.  Anyone have any ideas?

Are there any areas he frequents where he's mentioned a favorite restaurant/store/whatever that he can't visit at home? Maybe grab a gift card or two to places like that.

Does he have a favorite coffee/cocoa/something that he loves having at home? If so, pick up a package or two he can travel with and wrap them up with a nice new travel mug. Most places truck drivers can stop have hot water (or at least a microwave to heat it up with) so that he could make up a nice cup full of a memory of home while he's away.

I'll keep thinking.... :)

• Like 1

My Dad was a trucker for years. Here are a few things I remember getting him over the years that he always appreciated

1.  lots of snack-sized pre-packaged crackers, cookies, chips and such.   Saved him a few bucks at the truck stops.

2.  bedding/pillow/sleeping bag, etc. for the truck bed

3.  large travel mug as he always wanted something to sip on while driving, usually coffee

4.  nice pen to keep his logs, although this may be done electronically these days

5.  heavy duty gloves came in handy when he had to help unload the trailers

6.  new bag to carry/store his personal items/clothes

• Like 1

Ditto to the list above. In addition to the list above:

1. New boots for the winter months

2. Thick toboggan

3. Fill a stocking with things he can carry on the truck...gum, favorite candy, etc.

4. Toiletry items to replenish his personal bag

5. Gift Cards to the places he frequents most often. Some truck stops have gift cards. Go online and check.

6. Thinsulate Gloves

7. Basket of Goodies ..include notes that tell him how much you love and miss him.

• Like 2

My husband is of 15 years is a also a truck driver.  Here are some of the things that I have purchased for him over the years:

1.  Chrome, chrome and more chrome (don't forget chrome polish)

2.  Large inverter such as this - http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-3000W-Watt-Power-Inverter/dp/B003R7EGA8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1384015189&sr=8-15&keywords=cobra+inverter - to power items such as microwave, refrigerator, toaster oven, gaming devices, etc.

3.  Refrigerator/freezer - http://www.amazon.com/SPT-Energy-cu-ft-Refrigerator-Stainless/dp/B003B3ZLCA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384015343&sr=8-5&keywords=small+refrigerator+freezer - saves money if you load up on food items so he doesn't have to eat in truckstops

4.  XM/Sirius radio - but don't forget truck/rv antenna for no loss of signal - http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Xm_Tram-Sirius-Combo-Mirror-Antenna/dp/B004RBKN46/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1384015423&sr=8-6&keywords=xm+rv+antenna

5.  Sunglasses - Oakley polarized are always a good choice

6.  Coffee maker

7.  Slingbox

8.  Mifi (most truckstops offer free wifi, but they get super bogged down at night when everybody is using it)

9.  Wireless signal booster (if he frequents areas where cell reception is poor)

10.  Bunjee cords - all sizes - They can be used for a multitude of things!!!

11. xbox and games

12.  Duct tape!!

13.  Air hose with glad hand connector (http://www.amazon.com/Amflo-574-50gh-Hose-Truck-Inflator/dp/B001JT1JZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384015977&sr=8-1&keywords=glad+hand+air+hose) - very handy to have

14.  Tools

15.  Bright LED Flashlight (my hubby loves the usb rechargeable kind)

16.  Tablet/laptop

17.  New smartphone

18.  Small microwave

19.  Travel/auto vacuum

Hope this is helpful.  I could go on and on, but these are a few of the things I know he has enjoyed/used the most.

• Like 1

My husband is a trucker too. I definitely second the above list (especially #2 and #15). We live where it's really cold in the winter and even insulated coffee mugs don't stay hot long so we got him an electric one to plug into the inverter. He loves that thing. A really warm pair of gloves and warm socks helps too. He drives with another guy as a team too so we also got them a hot plate for the truck so they can warm up things like soup, spaghetti-o's and ramen. Cuts down on the cost of food, for sure. And they have two coolers that plug into the lighter or the inverter that they keep snacks and drinks in...one in the front of the truck and one in back for whoever isn't driving. They like to get funny things to put on their dashboards too, like Buddy Christ and the hula dancer lady. ;)

The other thing that both guys like that I haven't seen mentioned is audiobooks. They say it's a nice break from the sirius radio now and then.

Edited by misstaken

Thank you all for all of your WONDERFUL suggestions!  I have a nice list going now, and can't wait to get shopping!! :)

He has requested new Oakley Polarized sunglasses so those are definitely on the list.  I think I am going to get him an electric cooler too, so he doesn't have to worry about stopping for ice all the time, and I will fill it with food goodies.  I also found a travel coffee brewer, that I will probably get, and a battery operated razor.  I'm excited now! :)

• Like 1