Need some ideas for DS in college

bamamomma

My DS is a college freshmen and I am looking for some suggestions. He is no longer into video games like he used to be. I have picked up some clothes that I got a great deal on and a Walking Dead calendar. We are giving the kids a trip, so that will be their big gift. Any suggestions?

Does he drive?  Anything for his car?   How about sports?  Tickets to a sports game, or sports accessories?   DVDs?  I know a lot of younger adults even like things like gift certificates to things like racing events or those ride along racing type activities?

I know it's a hard age to buy for.  My DD is 20 years old too and doesn't have any idea what she wants either.   :holiday09

My 2 oldest sons are in college and they always appreciate gift cards to restaurants,gas cards (to come home on),and a big box of their favorite food treats. They live together in a house so I always try to get them something for the house (I know; boring but necessary!). They always need new hoodies,gloves,hats for walking to school in the snow.

My son in his freshman year wanted a nice set of headphones that he could plug in to his laptop that were comfortable (to use and not bother his roommate with the volume on his laptop) when he wanted to stay up and study or listen to music. Gift cards for fast food went over well too. Also he wanted a bookshelf size aquarium to brighten up the dorm room.

Grocery store gift cards, iTunes gift cards, movie theatre gift cards, rolls of quarters for laundry or a new phone. Bicycle for getting around campus? Just add a helmet and light?

Does he have any hobbies or favorite musicians? Concert tickets would be cool or tickets to a sporting event? Does he fish? New tackle box. Is he a runner? Gift card to a local running store or Sports Authority.

Hope you all enjoy your trip!

Edited by ShoppingChick13

I have to say there are some very creative ideas! I am loving the idea of gift cards for places right around campus. I'm thinking about getting several and going on Pinterst to find some unusual way to wrap them up and put them into his stocking. He doesn't have a car at school, but the car items swould be a great idea for kids that do. Hopefully someone can use that. Also to the person that suggested sending cookies, I think I may use that idea when it's time to take him back. I also thought it could be fun to buy a couple of cheap freezer/microwaveable dishes that I could make up a couple of casseroles that he can fit into his freezer. He shares a suite with 3 other guys and they have a full size freezer. My son mentioned when he came home this past weekend how great it was having a real home cooked meal. Thinking the 4 boys might enjoy that.
  • Like 4

When DD22 comes home, I always make up her favorites meals to freeze and take back with her.  Her dorm has a full size communal kitchen, so she is able to put them in the freezer and heat them up when she misses home.  

Does he have a small microwave?  

Grocery store gift cards are good too.  Mine is always shopping for food as she gets tired of the cafeteria food.

A basket of grooming supplies and laundry supplies are always good too!

When DD22 comes home, I always make up her favorites meals to freeze and take back with her.  Her dorm has a full size communal kitchen, so she is able to put them in the freezer and heat them up when she misses home.  

Does he have a small microwave?  

Grocery store gift cards are good too.  Mine is always shopping for food as she gets tired of the cafeteria food.

A basket of grooming supplies and laundry supplies are always good too!

In their suite, they have a full size regular fridge and full size microwave. There is a communal kitchen down the hall like your daughter has and they have used that on several occasions. ;) Any suggestions on things that you made that went over well or were easy for them to reheat?

In their suite, they have a full size regular fridge and full size microwave. There is a communal kitchen down the hall like your daughter has and they have used that on several occasions. ;) Any suggestions on things that you made that went over well or were easy for them to reheat?

I normally make her favorite things and then freeze them in individual size containers.  She takes it out in the morning and heats it up for dinner.

Her favorite things are this Greek orzo pasta dish I make  & cabbage and sausage soup.

I also make sure that she goes back with jars of her favorite spices if she decides to cook so she doesn't have to buy them.  I normally buy the big sizes and then put them into smaller jars and she takes them back with her.  Her favorite spice by far is Montreal Steak seasoning - she puts it on everything just about!

I've also just sent her back with a large tray that she uses to cart everything down to the kitchen with.  She just puts everything into the tray (like an extra large roasting pan) that she needs to cook and clean up with and takes it down to the kitchen with her.  She fills it back up when she's done.  That way she doesn't worry about dropping anything!   Also bought her a cutting board and her own knives (small paring knives and a large chef's knife).  They do have things for communal use, but she said the knives were cheap and there wasn't a cutting board.  

I'm thrilled she's taking advantage of the kitchen!  She says the younger kids (she's 22) are always asking her what she's making because they smell it when she takes the elevator up to her room!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A laundry basket with a bow on it. Fill it with detergent, fabric softener, dish soap, trash bags,a few new towels & toiletries (shampoo, razors, toothpaste, etc.) add a roll or two of quarters for the campus laundry room.

Dvd's, fast food gift cards, gift card to the campus for when popular bands come visit they can buy tickets. What about a new camera for college memories of friends? If you're crafty make him a scrapbook of him & his friends/roommates. 

If you know he has the occasional drink :fruitsex: what about a beer pong table? They fit flat under the bed and you can get them in many different teams etc.

I would definitely get something for the roommates as well. You hope these other boys are keeping an eye on your son and they would call you if he needed something or was in trouble! It can be as simple as a Taco Bell gift card so they can all eat one day together & new plush bathroom towel in a different color, add something homemade like cookies or brownies. Since your DS doesn't have a car, im assuming his friends drive him around. Throw in a gas gift card. Do you have a Kroger? Their Gc's can be used for gas or food.