Black Friday....a relic of days past?

Cinnamonhuskies

I am only 33 but this is gonna make me feel old......the younger generation won't ever know that excitement that u get after a good Thanksgiving supper and wonderful day just to go to bed and getting a good rest (if you can contain yourself enough to fall asleep) and wake up to the rush of stores opening at 5/6am. It's like getting that same feeling you got as a child on Chrisrmas Eve and not being able to go to sleep bc ur thinking about all the excitement for the next day. That is why I don't stay up all night shopping. I want to keep that feeling so I try to get a few hours of sleep at night so I can wake up and head out feeling refreshed and excited!
  • Like 5

Nostalgia!  I actually own a Red Rider BB gun -- the one with the wooden stock...and I almost DID shoot my eye out!

The Christmas season has always been special to me -- and a lot of that specialness was commercial.  It began with the arrival of the Wish Book which was quickly followed by the arrival of ads for the season's most amazing toys on Saturday morning.  Thanksgiving was the warm-up for Christmas vacation.  Everyone came over for dinner.  I was the kid who never got sick of turkey and pies.  That weekend (we never had homework over Thanksgiving), my mother would head out to the stores to begin her shopping.  I was pretty young when she started bring me along -- as much to push the carts as to serve as a consultant.  It started Friday morning, but it was light out and we didn't call it Black Friday.  By lunch, we headed home with a station wagon that resembled Santa's sleigh.

My first memory of Black Friday is a news story about a brawl over cabbage patch dolls.  That would be the 80s.  For me, BF went mainstream with the arrival of Big TVs.  Those were the amazing deals that people lined up for.  Most of my BF wins were lesser items -- a lot of Staples free stuff.  Cyber Monday then online BF sales did not diminish the enthusiasm for BF.  Shipping, taxes, and crappy web sites could not compete with the B&M extravaganzas.  

Now a lot of the best deals are available before and after Black Friday.  That hasn't diminished the crowds on the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I may not be doing as much buying, but I still love to roam the stores enjoying the decorations and music.  Black Friday may be losing its meaning for retailers, but it's still fun for me.

• Like 6

My Black Friday days started with Tickle Me Elmo year.  I walked right by a whole end cap (did not have kids then) and could have bought 25 the week before the frenzy started. I tried to convince my friend that her son was too young to even be upset if he didn't get one and to sell the one she bought..lol.  I always loved going to Kmart on Tday for a few items and then back to the casa after tracking down a newspaper (the yogurt store was always closed and I would get their paper on Tday) and plot my course with my red sharpie!  No need for calling anyone because everyone was at the house for dinner and we were all there grabbing at the same ads to see what we wanted the next morning. 

I miss old Black Friday.... :no:

• 2 weeks later...