I will not shop at Toys R Us at 5:00PM on Thanksgiving!

cyndim98

I'm very very angered that these retailers are so greedy that they have to open on thanksgiving at 5:00!  WHAT about their employees?  Can't they get a day off to give thanks????????????  Not only that but the retailers have ruined all the FUN it was going out in the middle of the night getting great deals! BLACKFRIDAY IS NOT ON THURSDAY PPL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 11

I noticed most of the stuff my kids want are not in their ad, and the few things they do have on our Christmas list have already been price matched at Target for way lower than they are offering.  Glad to check this one off my list of places to go, hope the other ads have something worthwhile.

I hope more people feel the same way. The lines will be a lot quicker.

And this is the attitude that makes retail workers pissed. Soon, most people would be required to work on thanksgiving morning to please the consumerism of this country, and it's getting sickening.

• Like 8

There were actually a lot of things from my kids' Christmas lists in their ad but it's not worth it to me to rush through Thanksgiving dinner.  Hopefully Target or Walmart will have the same things or I'll just try to get them later that evening and hope they're still available.

• Like 4

It isn't even that great of sale to go at 5pm on Thanksgiving. The ad was VERY disappointing. I was hoping for a NABI Tablet,  Barbie dolls and stuff and some Lego Duplo's for the girls. Doc Mcstuffins talking doll, and Monster High 13 wishes.  Pretty Disappointed!

The ad also says online sales start at 12:01 am on Thursday. I have like 10 things on my list so if I can get them online I will do that if not Im just passing on TRU again this year. 

Will all the ads will be this bad?

• Like 2

I agree, its terrible! A 5pm opening is just wrong! I actually thought the ad was decent based on their previous years ads. They added some hot toys on there which they never do. But, I still will not go out on Thanksgiving, no money is worth that...Im tired of these early hours, they are taking the fun out of BF! It cant even be called that anymore since EVERY store seems to be opening on Thursday....smh  :no:

• Like 5

My kids are moving out of the toy age range but I looked at the ad, and that's their worst ad that I can recall in the last 10 years.  So I don't think they need to worry about people beating down the doors at 5 pm.

but the 5 pm is ridiculous.  so glad i don't shop there.

• Like 2

There were a few things I needed out of this ad, like the ridiculously low Skylanders Swap Force prices but that price is only until 9 p.m. and I will not go to the store there on Thanksgiving day.  The second price (just as low) is good Friday morning, but I worry about quantity and lines for the "second wave" of doorbuster prices.  If I can't get the second set online, oh well.  If they have the Skylanders this cheap, someone else will too.  Do any of the stores match the doorbuster prices on Black Friday?

• Like 1

And this is the attitude that makes retail workers pissed. Soon, most people would be required to work on thanksgiving morning to please the consumerism of this country, and it's getting sickening.

I have worked retail and I have worked holidays. Many people do, in all kinds of professions. I knew I would have to work weekends and holidays before I took the job. It wasn't awful but yes I would have rather have been home. It was those types of things that made me keep looking for a better job. That is how the real world works.

• Like 2

I won't be shopping there that early either. There's nothing I want badly enough that I'll go stand in line in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner.

Shame on the people who will be there shopping that early. It's unfair to say that "well if you take a job working retail you should know you'll have to work holidays." That's bull. For many, many years most retail stores were closed on Thanksgiving. Most stores opened at 5 or 6 a.m on Friday. It's called Black Friday because it occurs on FRIDAY! Not Thursday! Stores have never had 5 p.m. Thursday opening times so people who took the seasonal retail jobs or who work there yearround didn't know that they'd be opening that early. Last year they opened at 9 p.m.

• Like 5

I have worked retail and I have worked holidays. Many people do, in all kinds of professions. I knew I would have to work weekends and holidays before I took the job. It wasn't awful but yes I would have rather have been home. It was those types of things that made me keep looking for a better job. That is how the real world works.

I worked in retail for 6 years but that was back when the "box" stores (with the exception of Kmart) were closed on Thanksgiving. Heck, the chain I worked for was even closed on Easter... I did work weekends, and some holidays (such as July4th, Labor Day etc.) I worked for a local hospital for 5 years, and EVERY holiday I was on call- I knew that going in as well, the difference was whether I was there or not for that job could have significantly altered someone's life. Retail positions just don't pull that kind of weight. While it's unfortunate that not everyone is afforded the option of spending time with their families during the holidays due to career obligations it's a shame that retailers are now in battle to "throw the doors open first" and the employees are having to work on the actual Thanksgiving holiday. Unfortunately, it appears this is becoming the norm and the general public will be out in droves. Makes me wonder how young children will truly perceive  Thanksgiving in the future. Just another "shopping day" I would imagine. Sad....

• Like 1

What if the employees are getting paid time and a half for working on a holiday? Maybe that's where part of their holiday fund comes from.

Don't always look at it as a bad thing -- their employees might appreciate the extra in their pay check.

Might not be a bad thing for everyone involved if they are getting paid time and half... We didn't on holidays when I worked in retail.

Edited by KrisinTn

Well I can tell you I won't be out there at 5PM on Thanksgiving nor will I be there at ANY point on Thanksgiving. I will wait until Friday like we have every year past and do our shopping then. If other people get in and out of the store faster on Thanksgiving well I guess good for them. I've said it in the past and I stand by it to this day I can only talk with my wallet in this matter and that's how I will stand up for things. To the rest who enjoy being out on that day I think hey more power to you but I won't help support the corporate greed, how about this they want all the people out working in the stores, well let's make everyone in the corp office work those same hours to help support the people in the stores. I think this little bit of silliness would come to a screeching halt when the big big have to give up their time off also. :)

• Like 3

I honestly don't have a problem with it.  Look at all the other businesses that are open on Thanksgiving - restaurants, movie theaters, gas stations, hospitals, airports, hotels, etc...Retail is known for having horrible hours.  If you don't want to work it, then find a different job.  

Oh and as far as corporate execs getting the day off - my BIL is VP of a department store chain and he has to go in on Thanksgiving as per corporate policy.  

If you don't agree with it then don't go - that's your prerogative. But I like going, so I will!

JMO...sorry if I offended.

• Like 3

some families make this a tradition. I buy 90% of my stuff online before black friday for less money, so I don't do it. My mom refuses to go before Friday morning, so I go and listen to her complain that all teh good stuff is gone. OF COURSE ITS GONE> She wouldn't go when they opened . Here where I live the people without families usually do the holidays first, and they get time and a half so reallly needy employees take full advantage of hte extra money.